Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hi All,

I have been reading on the board all about different kinds of supplements that everyone uses.

Fish oil pills, cranberry pills, Ester C, Vitamin E, Calcium supplements, Nuvet Plus tablets, even greek yogurt.
Could someone please tell me if any of these are something I should be giving to Lily?
She is 12 weeks old right now.
I'm not sure what any of these supplements do.
And should I speak with the vet before giving her anything new?
Is there anything else that might be good for her to have?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
There will be more experienced voices coming here in a minute or 2 but most of the vitamins she needs will come from her food. That's why whatever you feed her needs to be of good quality.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont really give Brutus any supplements and never did! He gets his Fromm kibble with 1 scrambled egg every 2 days and dinner has 1-2 tbsp of plain yogurt. For treats he gets some fruit and his grain free Fromm treats. What food is she eating right now? How much does she weigh?

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
What is a good quality dog food for her?
I am giving her health extension little bites that the pet store was feeding her.
I did think abount changing her food but with all the food allergies these dogs can have I was afraid to do so.
I spoke to the vet and he really didn't have much to say on the matter, he didn't seem to care what food I gave her.

C

Cooper11

I think if you arn't having any issues with her then I wouldn't try anything new..... Although I am no expert and we will see what other says also. You give her yogurt nd stuff like that for a little tasty treat with her kibble. Cooper doesn't get any but Gracie get it every night will he night feeding and now she won't eat her kibble nless the yogrt is on it! Can you say spoiled! Just have to watch for allergies and such....like a dairy allergy could be possible. You will learn as you go! :)

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I dont really give Brutus any supplements and never did! He gets his Fromm kibble with 1 scrambled egg every 2 days and dinner has 1-2 tbsp of plain yogurt. For treats he gets some fruit and his grain free Fromm treats. What food is she eating right now? How much does she weigh?

So you don't give him and wet food? Just the kibble? I'm not even sure if I should be giving her dry only or wet/dry.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would change that food already! I have never heard of it before! THere is a link above for food recomendations by rating you shoulld check that out! Its very important to feed a good food to maintain good health. thats the first key I learned was finding the right food. You may have to do research if allergies arise..But def switch off the pet store food! THey know nothing about bulldog nutritien (no offense at all) just saying ...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is a good quality dog food for her?
I am giving her health extension little bites that the pet store was feeding her.
I did think abount changing her food but with all the food allergies these dogs can have I was afraid to do so.
I spoke to the vet and he really didn't have much to say on the matter, he didn't seem to care what food I gave her.

Vets, unless they are getting a kick back from the manufacturer, know nothing about nutrition.... they focus on medical science and such -- nutrition is not in the curriculum, I'm not being nasty just how it is; same as in human medical services... you have Doctors, Nurses and Nutritionists, etc.

Banks, our girl, only gets a fish oil pill to help with her back issues..... we feed her Fromm Beef Frittata

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
the yogurt is for digestive help and the fish oil is also for skin and heart! No need to feed her wet, dry only is fine, but switch her to a great quality food. You might want to try grain free since most of our bullies end up with some kind of grain allergy. I put my puppies on grain free right from the time I brought them home to try to avoid any allergy issues like that. You might also want to avoid a food with potatos in it, since potatos can cause yeast. I have my dogs on Earthborn Holistic which is grain/potato free and also so is NVI (nature's variety instinct).

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Fromm food has probiotics and prebiotics in their food which is a nice addition for the bullys! :)

In addition to food supplementation...can someone comment on supplements for joints? Does anyone here give their dog a supplement for that? I know joint issues and arthritis can be issues for bulldogs. Is there a certain age you should start this or is it even necessary?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm food has probiotics and prebiotics in their food which is a nice addition for the bullys! :)

In addition to food supplementation...can someone comment on supplements for joints? Does anyone here give their dog a supplement for that? I know joint issues and arthritis can be issues for bulldogs. Is there a certain age you should start this or is it even necessary?

Glocosamine (sp?)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I also give my pup a nightly treat that has glucosamine added. My vet suggested it at Tank's first puppy assessment. He recommends it for all his big breed dogs as a preventative for joint issues as they get older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Vets, unless they are getting a kick back from the manufacturer, know nothing about nutrition.... they focus on medical science and such -- nutrition is not in the curriculum, I'm not being nasty just how it is; same as in human medical services... you have Doctors, Nurses and Nutritionists, etc.

Banks, our girl, only gets a fish oil pill to help with her back issues..... we feed her Fromm Beef Frittata

I think I'm going to try Fromm Beef Frittata. Do I just give her half new/ half old (dog food) for a week or so? How should I make the switch?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.