Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 22 of 22

Thread: Supplements?

  1. #13
    Pet Sitter Corlando465's Avatar
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    373
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I also give my pup a nightly treat that has glucosamine added. My vet suggested it at Tank's first puppy assessment. He recommends it for all his big breed dogs as a preventative for joint issues as they get older.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  2. #14
    Dog Park Attendant Lily122511's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Westchester, New York, United States
    Posts
    436
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    I also give my pup a nightly treat that has glucosamine added. My vet suggested it at Tank's first puppy assessment. He recommends it for all his big breed dogs as a preventative for joint issues as they get older.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What is glucosamine?

  3. #15
    Dog Park Attendant Lily122511's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Westchester, New York, United States
    Posts
    436
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Vets, unless they are getting a kick back from the manufacturer, know nothing about nutrition.... they focus on medical science and such -- nutrition is not in the curriculum, I'm not being nasty just how it is; same as in human medical services... you have Doctors, Nurses and Nutritionists, etc.

    Banks, our girl, only gets a fish oil pill to help with her back issues..... we feed her Fromm Beef Frittata
    I think I'm going to try Fromm Beef Frittata. Do I just give her half new/ half old (dog food) for a week or so? How should I make the switch?

  4. #16
    Bulldog Walker Meggs19's Avatar
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    290
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Supplements?

    @Corlando465 can you tell me the name of what you give your bully and where you got it?

    @Lily122511 I have been told that a slow transition is always best. You could try 25% new food with 75% of the old for a week, then 50%/50% for another week, then 75% new food with 25% of the old for another week until you are giving 100% of the new. I think it depends on the dog because I don't go through each of these "percentage stages" for a whole week...usually just a few days with each phase since Tonka doesn't have too sensitive of a tummy. You can monitor his reaction and if he is getting sick or has really loose stools you can cut back and some others here could give better advice on what to do if that's the case. We are almost done switching Tonka to the Beef Fritatta as well and so far so good! Good luck!

  5. #17
    Dog Park Attendant Lily122511's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Westchester, New York, United States
    Posts
    436
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggs19 View Post
    @Corlando465 can you tell me the name of what you give your bully and where you got it?

    @Lily122511 I have been told that a slow transition is always best. You could try 25% new food with 75% of the old for a week, then 50%/50% for another week, then 75% new food with 25% of the old for another week until you are giving 100% of the new. I think it depends on the dog because I don't go through each of these "percentage stages" for a whole week...usually just a few days with each phase since Tonka doesn't have too sensitive of a tummy. You can monitor his reaction and if he is getting sick or has really loose stools you can cut back and some others here could give better advice on what to do if that's the case. We are almost done switching Tonka to the Beef Fritatta as well and so far so good! Good luck!
    Thanks so much!! I will try that!

  6. #18
    Pet Sitter Corlando465's Avatar
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    373
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Here is a picture of the package. I give half of piece each night until 30lbs, then he gets a whole one. Best yet, he loves them



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. #19
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    @Lily122511 Take a look through this .. it's our bulldog food recommendations with each food been given a rating. That may help you .... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...d-ratings-219/


    I too use the Fromm Beef Frittata ... it is in their 4* range and you can change inbetween the flavours of the 4* range so you can have beef, then maybe the duck, then pork etc.

    Do the transition from your current food to the new food slowly. I always replaced a quarter of a cup at a time, and changed the amounts every few days. Just keep an eye on the poop consistency ... that will tell you if the new food is agreeing with your bully or not, and will also tell you if you are making the change too quickly.

    The only supplements I give are the NuVet. Otherwise we add some Grizzly Salmon oil to their food - it's good for their joints and immune system. Things such as cottage cheese, yoghurt etc ... I consider them to be more treats/topping to their food more than anything else!


    If I do get treats it is usually frozen green beans, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, frozen blueberries, fresh carrots, fresh cucumber and fresh celery. If I buy treats then its the Fromm grain free.

  8. #20
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily122511 View Post
    I think I'm going to try Fromm Beef Frittata. Do I just give her half new/ half old (dog food) for a week or so? How should I make the switch?
    Break it down over about two weeks....

    1/4 new and 3/4 old
    1/2 new and 1/2 old
    3/4 new and 1/4 old
    all new
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #21
    Dog Park Attendant Lily122511's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Westchester, New York, United States
    Posts
    436
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    @Lily122511 Take a look through this .. it's our bulldog food recommendations with each food been given a rating. That may help you .... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...d-ratings-219/


    I too use the Fromm Beef Frittata ... it is in their 4* range and you can change inbetween the flavours of the 4* range so you can have beef, then maybe the duck, then pork etc.

    Do the transition from your current food to the new food slowly. I always replaced a quarter of a cup at a time, and changed the amounts every few days. Just keep an eye on the poop consistency ... that will tell you if the new food is agreeing with your bully or not, and will also tell you if you are making the change too quickly.

    The only supplements I give are the NuVet. Otherwise we add some Grizzly Salmon oil to their food - it's good for their joints and immune system. Things such as cottage cheese, yoghurt etc ... I consider them to be more treats/topping to their food more than anything else!


    If I do get treats it is usually frozen green beans, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, frozen blueberries, fresh carrots, fresh cucumber and fresh celery. If I buy treats then its the Fromm grain free.

    Thanks for the info! I will look into this!!

  10. #22
    Dog Park Attendant Lily122511's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Westchester, New York, United States
    Posts
    436
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Supplements?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Break it down over about two weeks....

    1/4 new and 3/4 old
    1/2 new and 1/2 old
    3/4 new and 1/4 old
    all new

    Ok great thanks!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •