Idiopathic Head Tremors (Head Bobbing) Who's Bulldog has had them?

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Last night was the first time I have seen these and it was very scary for my wife and me. First time it happened last night I was alone with meatball and thought it was just a puppy dream he was having. Then it lasted after he woke up and was walking around with the tremors. Then wife got home and few hours later he had it again so this time we took him into the VCA near our house and the episode was still going on but meatball was responding to his name was able to run to the car with us which was a nice feeling. The VCA was great place because everyone came to help out when we brought him in. I think I had read about this a long time ago when I was thinking about getting a bulldog but just thought he was having a seizure when in fact it was this condition Idiopathic Head Tremors. We go home late last night and started to head into bed and it continue to happen. Every time meatball would close his eye he would wake back up until around 3am it stopped. We did just get his one year shots last Wed and this was the first weekend he stayed at a three nights at a kennel which I am wondering if this could have some reasoning behind it. I talked with my vet this am and the suggested Kayo Syrup when it is going on. Any other ideas would be great or what others have gone threw. Stayed home from work to get a little reset and keep and eye on the dog.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I had done some reasearch when Brutus had a seizure for the first time. It wasnt anything like head tremors. I had seen a couple videos on youtube which gave me some information. It could go away and not happen again or it could happen again. I dont belive it effects them but i dont really know enough about it...I read about some people giving penut butter or something to try and get their mind concentrated on something. I am not an expert and do not have much experience in this but Im sure others will be by with more good info! Our vet said if it happend again to take a video to show them so if you can do that it would be good to...or try to figure out if happens when its happening what he is doing at the moment maybe! Good luck with everything

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There are several peeps on here who has bullies with head tremors, I do not have any experience with this. I will tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] who has a bully with epilepsy and she knows all about this subject.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know you must be so worried. I think if it was epilepsy..there would be times when you can't get him to focus or "hear" you?? The tremors, while looking awful, seems are much easier on the dog and they can still control their movements. I've read where people give treats or peanut butter..anything to change their focus will help. Also there is belief it can be caused by a change in blood sugar...which might be why treats help. Hold on..others who know more will be here...

OP
A

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
So far today he has been great. It was so hard to watch and try to make him feel better. Talked with our vet and recommend the Kayo Syrup if it happens again which I hope is not the case for a long time. Just wondering if some how related to going to the kennel for the weekend since it was so new an different for him.

TwoBullies

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia & Jake
So sorry to hear about Meatball. Mia just had a light head tremor on Sunday night for the first time and we freaked out as well. I only say it was "light" because it was nothing like what we saw on YouTube. This forum was the first place I turned to and read through other post about redirecting with a treat (or peanut butter) like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said. We also made our other pup leave her alone so she could rest. Hopefully this is a temporary thing for Meatball.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi there! Sorry to hear about your upsetting experience. Although frightening to watch, I'm pretty sure what you have are head tremors. So, I cut this out of an article and I've been waiting to use it.

My Recommendations:

If your dog exhibits this head bobbing behavior
DON’T PANIC!!! This could only worsen the situation by adding additional stress on the dog.
– give them a bowl of ice cream or frozen vanilla yogurt to get the situation under control. If you don’t have any of those then Ensure, Pediasure, Karo syrup all work because of the sugar and or calcium content. Liquids work quicker because they are absorbed into the mucosa of the mouth.
Call your veterinarian and advise of the situation. Schedule an appointment for a visit and have your vet do a health screening with blood work. Odds are the blood work for calcium and sugar will be fine.
Keep a record of each episode, every time one occurs – describe it in great detail, time it occurred – how long, how frequent. Give this info to the vet when you see him. Take video of the episode, cause...we all know it's so much easier to show the episode then try to explain it. I have tons of video of actual seizures if you are interested in seeing how Vegas's situation differs from yours.
IF they do not get any worse than the head bobs – don’t do anything else but observe and document. If the behavior changes in any way – call the vet, you may need additional assistance at this point.

Just so you know, there are so many peeps here that have bulldogs with head tremors. What causes them? Carrots, right[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]? Husbands? Right [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]?
Stress, excitement, over stimulation, extreme exhaustion, low blood sugar. Many many reasons. Keep us informed.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Your Right [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]!!!! Vegas had head tremors because Joe was playing keep away with one of Vegas's most favorite stuffed animal that he suckles!! I freaked out, but talked to our vet about it and it boils down to over-stimulation. NO ONE that visits this house or Joe is allowed to touch Stinkey Monkey. When My son brings his dog over Monkey goes in the bedroom until Vegas's guest are gone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So far today he has been great. It was so hard to watch and try to make him feel better. Talked with our vet and recommend the Kayo Syrup if it happens again which I hope is not the case for a long time. Just wondering if some how related to going to the kennel for the weekend since it was so new an different for him.

Both our bullies experience them.... call their name and give them any type of treat. I distracts the musles and stops the tremor. keep in mind there is NO pain or discomfort. We went to a neurologist when Nitschke had his first and he told us the cause/reasons are unknown but as long as they respond to you and take a treat/food... there is nothing to worry about.

OP
A

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Well tonight it has started again. This time giving him peanut butter in hopes it does not keep going all night. Today we stayed home from work to make sure he was ok and nothing until about 1 hr ago we have had two episodes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
A

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Yes but meatball was sleeping when it starts so far and just up and down.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If you are really concerned by this, and if the amount of time between each of the tremors gets less and less then it may be worth going to see a neurologist or getting a blood test done at your normal vet to test blood sugar levels. It seems to be caused by so many different things as you can see from the responses that you are getting on this thread. BUT in your case IF it is caused by low blood sugar then you also need to know if there is an underlying cause for this.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Hi everyone! I am a newbie in the forum and I am really glad I joined. My 9month old bulldog called Ulysses had his firs "episode" last night. It was frightening to see him shake like that for no apparent reason. I panicked because I thought he was having a seizure, but as the seconds went by we realized he was totally fine apart from the shaky head, I've been doing extensive research ever since and I am almost completely sure it was "just" idiopathic head tremors. I am really concerned about it though, he was really sick for the past 2 weeks with kennel cough, until last Saturday he was on antibiotics, paracodin, and something against his swollen throat. Just now he seems to be getting better and now this. I would like to ask more experienced bully owners what is the right approach? I have a vet appointment for tomorrow, but my husband says we should give it a while and see how it evolves...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Your Right [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]!!!! Vegas had head tremors because Joe was playing keep away with one of Vegas's most favorite stuffed animal that he suckles!! I freaked out, but talked to our vet about it and it boils down to over-stimulation. NO ONE that visits this house or Joe is allowed to touch Stinkey Monkey. When My son brings his dog over Monkey goes in the bedroom until Vegas's guest are gone.

LMAO @ "Stinky Monkey"
That never fails to make me laugh.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.