parasites Again??

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] knows about that and it can take some time to clear up I believe. Poor baby.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I didn't find a new yet as of yet but i did find out the name of the parasite that she has.
It's called Giardia parasite.
Ever heard of it?
The strange thing is Lily does not seem sick over it. It was only cause her poop tested positive for it did I find out about it.
She now has to take Panaur in powder form for 5 days.
But I think it's making her sick now. She seemed mushy last night & this morning.
I'm at my wits end with this poor little girl. I hope she gets better soon.

The same thing is happening with my pup. Dozer was diagnosed with Giardia but he doesnt seem to have any symptoms. The vet gave us 25mg Flagyl tablets taken 4x a day. Be very careful while handling his food dish and his poo since it can be transmitted to us humans. I hope your baby recovers quickly.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
The same thing is happening with my pup. Dozer was diagnosed with Giardia but he doesnt seem to have any symptoms. The vet gave us 25mg Flagyl tablets taken 4x a day. Be very careful while handling his food dish and his poo since it can be transmitted to us humans. I hope your baby recovers quickly.

Oh thanks so much for that info. I did not know that. The vet didn't even tell me that.
I hope your baby feels better soon to!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes I did have one of my bullies get Giardia. It was awful, and I also made some pretty stupid choices because of it, because I did not see the relation of the two, was not educated enough about it.

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon in Chino Hills, California.

We were staying at a state park in our RV. It was located right next to a huge cow facility, so unfortunately the flies were horrible.

The RV spaces were huge, so we let our two bullies run a little bit. There were no other RVs around, it was a weekday, so we let them go crazy in the grass.

There was a really huge puddle where it never dried out from the sprinklers the night before. So the proceeded to jump in it and play, and got muddy from head to toe. We laughed at the site of them, even took several photos of them playing in the mud. It was so funny and adorable!

But, 3 days later one of our bullies paid the price. They got Giardia from the mud puddle. It was horrible. It is like extreme diaper rash, but it is on the inside. When they expell their stools, it litterally "shoots" out of their bums. It can shoot up to 3-4 feet away. Their bums get severe diaper rash. It burns them inside and out, and is very difficult to get rid of. We had to medicate both of them, because if one had it, the other could get it from them easily. We had to put diaper rash ointment on his poor little bum every few hours, and it was so swollen and purple. It was heartbreaking.

Usually Giardia is found in sitting water, and can even be found in your dogs water dish if it is not cleaned.

Do not let your dog drink out of puddles, fountains, or any water source that you are not sure of it's quality. Giardia is most commonly found in places where dogs frequently go, such as RV parks and Dog parks.

What we thought to be an innocent play in the mud ended up costing us at least $500 in vet bills. It took over a month to get rid of it completely, and our bully lost several pounds during this time.

During this time, he became very food aggressive. But not in the normal way. Molly and Weasley ate next to each other, no problems with that. I could touch his dish, kids could, this was not the problem.

It was after he ate it.

He became very mean, would attack anyone who came near him. We only had two kids at the time, I got bit several times, Molly got the worst of it. She always had open sores on her from his attacks. He became so bad that he did not want anyone paying attention to Molly at all. I kinda felt like we had this adorable puppy that I did not even know, she was just his punching bag.

Ended up we had to crate them for most of the time, at least for an hour or two after he ate, then the fighting became worse.

When Carson got bit, I decided that we needed to do the hardest thing. Find him a new home. Again, I made a stupid mistake. Put him up on a free site and was contacted by a breeder who adopted him from us for $500.

WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS!!!! I thought, "oh this will be wonderful, he will be with other bulldogs."

HELLO!! MCFLY!??? You in there???? Sooooo stupid!!!! Not only was he aggressive, I gave him to someone who would use and abuse him!!!!

Now-- I know you all are thinking "How could she have done such a thing?"

Because I was not educated. I thought all breeders were dedicated to the breed and that would be the best place for my boy. I thought that his behavior was his personality.

Now, I think his behavior was associated directly with the giardia. Because now I know he was starving. Then, I did not know. Not one vet told me that his condition was severe, that his behavior was in any way associated with the parasite. Believe me, we went back to the vet all the time and I told them.

Okay my point to telling you this story is that EDUCATION is so important. Your vet should be not just look over your dog, but should also teach you.

Spread the word. Tell everyone you know about pet shops, bad breeders, ect.

Giardia is BAD. Make sure it is 100% gone!!!!!

It can come from the breeders, sharing a water dish with other infected dogs, puddles, even stepping in them and coming home and licking their feet.

I know many of you have heard this story before, but I never did tell how the story officially ended. I have only in the past year learned from reading about Giardia and become more familiar with it, did I make the connection. I was also feeling very guilty about it, because I realize that I made some stupid choices on behalf of my fur-kid. The guilt still plagues me, even tho I know I did not know any better.... it is amazing how many times I think of his sweet little puppy face, and knowing that I ruined his life. I wish I knew where he was today. The breeder (of course) not only wrote me a bad check that bounced, quit answering my calls, they disappeared from the Earth a month later.

I do know that my poor choices are learning experiences I can now share with others, but it does not make it an easier knowing now what I did was so very wrong for the well being of my boy. I would have surrendered him to a rescue, if I would have known they existed. Which they did, we were in SoCal, and he would have had a great life.

Okay, gotta go blow my nose now! :cry:

Last edited:

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] That is an incredible story. I am so sorry you and your boy had to go through all of that, but so glad you shared. I definitely learned something from your experience!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yes I did have one of my bullies get Giardia. It was awful, and I also made some pretty stupid choices because of it, because I did not see the relation of the two, was not educated enough about it.

We were staying at a state park in our RV. It was located right next to a huge cow facility, so unfortunately the flies were horrible.

The RV spaces were huge, so we let our two bullies run a little bit. There were no other RVs around, it was a weekday, so we let them go crazy in the grass.

There was a really huge puddle where it never dried out from the sprinklers the night before. So the proceeded to jump in it and play, and got muddy from head to toe. We laughed at the site of them, even took several photos of them playing in the mud. It was so funny and adorable!

But, 3 days later one of our bullies paid the price. They got Giardia from the mud puddle. It was horrible. It is like extreme diaper rash, but it is on the inside. When they expell their stools, it litterally "shoots" out of their bums. It can shoot up to 3-4 feet away. Their bums get severe diaper rash. It burns them inside and out, and is very difficult to get rid of. We had to medicate both of them, because if one had it, the other could get it from them easily. We had to put diaper rash ointment on his poor little bum every few hours, and it was so swollen and purple. It was heartbreaking.

Usually Giardia is found in sitting water, and can even be found in your dogs water dish if it is not cleaned.

Do not let your dog drink out of puddles, fountains, or any water source that you are not sure of it's quality. Giardia is most commonly found in places where dogs frequently go, such as RV parks and Dog parks.

What we thought to be an innocent play in the mud ended up costing us at least $500 in vet bills. It took over a month to get rid of it completely, and our bully lost several pounds during this time.

During this time, he became very food aggressive. But not in the normal way. Molly and Weasley ate next to each other, no problems with that. I could touch his dish, kids could, this was not the problem.

It was after he ate it.

He became very mean, would attack anyone who came near him. We only had two kids at the time, I got bit several times, Molly got the worst of it. She always had open sores on her from his attacks. He became so bad that he did not want anyone paying attention to Molly at all. I kinda felt like we had this adorable puppy that I did not even know, she was just his punching bag.

Ended up we had to crate them for most of the time, at least for an hour or two after he ate, then the fighting became worse.

When Carson got bit, I decided that we needed to do the hardest thing. Find him a new home. Again, I made a stupid mistake. Put him up on a free site and was contacted by a breeder who adopted him from us for $500.

WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS!!!! I thought, "oh this will be wonderful, he will be with other bulldogs."

HELLO!! MCFLY!??? You in there???? Sooooo stupid!!!! Not only was he aggressive, I gave him to someone who would use and abuse him!!!!

Because I was not educated. I thought all breeders were dedicated to the breed and that would be the best place for my boy. I thought that his behavior was his personality.

Now, I think his behavior was associated directly with the giardia. Because now I know he was starving. Then, I did not know. Not one vet told me that his condition was severe, that his behavior was in any way associated with the parasite. Believe me, we went back to the vet all the time and I told them.

Okay my point to telling you this story is that EDUCATION is so important. Your vet should be not just look over your dog, but should also teach you.

It can come from the breeders, sharing a water dish with other infected dogs, puddles, even stepping in them and coming home and licking their feet.

I know many of you have heard this story before, but I never did tell how the story officially ended. I have only in the past year learned from reading about Giardia and become more familiar with it, did I make the connection. I was also feeling very guilty about it, because I realize that I made some stupid choices on behalf of my fur-kid. The guilt still plagues me, even tho I know I did not know any better.... it is amazing how many times I think of his sweet little puppy face, and knowing that I ruined his life. I wish I knew where he was today. The breeder (of course) not only wrote me a bad check that bounced, quit answering my calls, they disappeared from the Earth a month later.

I do know that my poor choices are learning experiences I can now share with others, but it does not make it an easier knowing now what I did was so very wrong for the well being of my boy. I would have surrendered him to a rescue, if I would have known they existed. Which they did, we were in SoCal, and he would have had a great life.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It took a lot of courage to open up to that...I hope it gave you some form of closure. Dozer has giardia now...I'm going to be extra astute with keeping it in check I hope the Flagyl works and he gets rid of it!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Giardia is just awful ... Daddy came to us with it although we didn't know it at the time. I was giving him little puppy kisses in the car on the way home from the rescue ... and 10 days later I was bed-ridden with the most awful pain. Stomach cramps, ...and believe me the toilet and myself got to know each other really well. It started on a Saturday afternoon and on Sunday evening I threw up and then passed out with the pain.

So beware ... it is very contagious and easily passed on to humans. If you get it then it can take up to a year for you to truly get your energy levels back.

Wipe EVERYTHING down with antibacterial wipes and just be really careful. It can take a while to get out of your puppy's system fully, and it can remain dormant in the soil if you don't pick up their poop for over a year.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I didn't find a new yet as of yet but i did find out the name of the parasite that she has.
It's called Giardia parasite.
Ever heard of it?
The strange thing is Lily does not seem sick over it. It was only cause her poop tested positive for it did I find out about it.
She now has to take Panaur in powder form for 5 days.
But I think it's making her sick now. She seemed mushy last night & this morning.
I'm at my wits end with this poor little girl. I hope she gets better soon.

Banks had Giardia a few times... the Panacur will clear it up and yes the get worse before better with it. It sort of makes them sluggish, but she will bounce back, quick.
Do you have any other pets in the house or small children? If yes, be sure they do not touch or get near Lily's :poo: as it is contagious.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It was after he ate it.

:cry: :hug:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Giardia is just awful ... Daddy came to us with it although we didn't know it at the time. I was giving him little puppy kisses in the car on the way home from the rescue ... and 10 days later I was bed-ridden with the most awful pain. Stomach cramps, ...and believe me the toilet and myself got to know each other really well. It started on a Saturday afternoon and on Sunday evening I threw up and then passed out with the pain.

So beware ... it is very contagious and easily passed on to humans. If you get it then it can take up to a year for you to truly get your energy levels back.

Wipe EVERYTHING down with antibacterial wipes and just be really careful. It can take a while to get out of your puppy's system fully, and it can remain dormant in the soil if you don't pick up their poop for over a year.

EXCELLENT point.... I forgot, NO KISSES!!

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

It was after he ate it.

Oh honey I am so very sorry for what you guys have been through.
Thank you very much for sharing your story with me.
I have nothing but love for you as I know that was not an easy thing to sit there and write.
I can tell you are a wonderful person and you did what you thought was right at the time.
I'm sending you a big hug!!!
And thank you for your insite on Giardia.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

Oh dear I give her little puppy kisses all the time. The strange thing is she doesn't seem sick over it. She has no signs. The only way I knew she had it was from the test results. I'm wondering if she got it at the pet shop where I got her.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Banks had Giardia a few times... the Panacur will clear it up and yes the get worse before better with it. It sort of makes them sluggish, but she will bounce back, quick.
Do you have any other pets in the house or small children? If yes, be sure they do not touch or get near Lily's :poo: as it is contagious.

Thanks for the info.
Yes I have 2 other small dogs in the house and 3 boys. I have been keeping Lily away from everyone else and I was my hands after we pick up her poop.
After the 5 days of meds should I still keep her away from everyone? The vet said to bring another stool sample back in 2 weeks for testing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info.
Yes I have 2 other small dogs in the house and 3 boys. I have been keeping Lily away from everyone else and I was my hands after we pick up her poop.
After the 5 days of meds should I still keep her away from everyone? The vet said to bring another stool sample back in 2 weeks for testing.

I would until you know she is in the clear. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get it fully out of the system. We kept Banks on the second floor of the house and Nitchke was on the when she had it. Our issue was her eating rabbit and deer :poo: that was in the yard, we had to train her and watch her like hawks to stop it. Otherwise, she would always have giardia

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.