Anal Glands, what is it and what to do??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hi
I have learned so much on this site about bullys as educated as I THOUGHT I was, lol...Ok here's Vegas's new thing..for the last three days he has been rubbing his bottom on my area rug (never done this) and not to be graphic, when he does this his penis sticks out bad. (he's fixed) He is 14 months old and again never done this behavior. Is this what anal gland problems are??? What do I do if it is, or is this just a bad behavior that he is starting? His tail and anus does not look any different then it always has, I took a non-scented baby wipe and wiped him real good (he was MAD!! and ran into his crate, I think he felt violated, LOL) but after reading different things about anal glands I am wondering. Does this need a vet's care? Thank You and I am off Friday so if he needs to be seen I will get him in on Friday. And what exactly is it?? And what do they do for it?? Thanks so much for the advice!! I am so happy I found this site, as much as I thought I knew I learn every day! Thanks again
christmas006.jpg

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
His bowel movements have not changed he goes 3 times a day, always, and it looks the same as it always has, (yes I always look!!) so I don't think he is constipated or in ANY pain, even when he is scooting he does not make any noise like he is in pain, he just scoots across the floor like it is itching him...?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Bella has a problem releasing her glands all the time. Because of her disease she never really have firm stools, so that means no way to "pinch" or release the glands. Naturally they will be "squeezed" or released while pooping. The vet will do it for me, however she is needing it more frequently. I actually need to figure it out myself. I know that sounds gross, but when she is miserable, I want to help her out. If it does get released, it smells real bad!!!! A strong shrimpy smell. And YES she will drag her hinny when they really bother her.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
about every other month, Horse will start sticking his bum in everyone's face, wanting it to be itched. this is my clue that he needs his anal-glands expressed. Most of the time I am able to do it myself, just by massaging around his anus. Cottage chees looking stuff will start to leak out, and it smells worse than anything I've ever smelled in my life. Sometimes it shoots out, so be careful! Every 4-6 months, I have to bring him to the vet to get them expressed, because they actually put a finger in there and get everything out! Not sure what causes this, as Horse's poops are pretty regular and firm, so that should help the anal glands stay clear.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has a solid poop, like a tootsie roll, so I think he does "pinch" it off. I don't smell anything different from him other than the usual, now fowl oder from that area. It just seems like it itches him???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be a bit of yeast and sweat in the tail pocket too. get a stridex pad or baby wipe and wipe up into the tail pocket. Maybe add some desitin too. Kinda like an itchy behind crack if you know what I mean from sweating. To find out more about anal glands, where they are, what they do, and if you need to express, here is a pretty good article:

http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh god!!!!, Poor Horse, I CAN NOT do that, lol, I will pay top dollar at my vet's to get it done, does this sound like what he needs?? Again no fowl oder?? He does not put his butt in my face wanting to be itched, he just started 3 nights ago to do this.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It could be a bit of yeast and sweat in the tail pocket too. get a stridex pad or baby wipe and wipe up into the tail pocket. Maybe add some desitin too. Kinda like an itchy behind crack if you know what I mean from sweating. To find out more about anal glands, where they are, what they do, and if you need to express, here is a pretty good article:

Great Article!! However, I don't think Bella would stay still long enough to "find" the holes. And yes, it can squirt out quite far (that happened with our Springer one time) Be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I did use a baby wipe and it made him mad/pout with me!! Again no smell, YES I did put my nose down and smell, (the things we do for our babies) I scrubbed his anus and his tail pocket. If it had a smell I would be worried, but no smell.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
lol, it's pretty nasty, but i just add it to the list of gross bully things i have to deal with! desertsky had a good point in that it could be a yeasty under tail causing the itching, i guess if i were you, i would take him to the vet to check out the anal-glands, as they can get infected. the vet can also show you how to do it yourself if it turns out to be a recurring problem. Horse's bum doesn't smell until you actually express the glands. good luck! i would try the tail cleaning first if you think it could be that!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
The vet can show me all he wants, lol, again NO, I will take him and get it done, my vet will "earn" his money, that kind of stuff grosses me out, I take him every 3 weeks to get his ears cleaned and nails done. Yes I deal with the slobber, the water drinking that makes him look like Niagra Falls, his water bowl that looks like a big luge when he is done drinking, the shakeing of his head and sends slober all over me and my furniture, the "smell" that he has, even though he is bathed every 10 days, the coughing up the flem, the snot that comes out of his nose, the stinky wrinkles that I clean EVERY day, but I draw the line at expressing his anal glands, that is why I have a vet!!! And GOD YES I LOVE MY VEGAS!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
yeah I'm not much of an anal gland person either. Only had one bully who ever needed it, a male. His poop always had anal slime in it too, it always smelled awful. I had it done at the groomers or the vet.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
ok well talking about anal glands while eating dinner in front of my laptop while working on my nursing school homework lol..i love this site :) ive have problems w spike as well concerning this issue the only thing with him is he doesnt scoot his but like described what he does is he goes to his crate and seperates his tail from his anus and sticks it in the crate door entrance and then he gets up and smells it then does it over and over again...i don't know why he does this and he does it everyday... i do wipe his anus on a daily basis several times a day any other bullie do this? :(

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
With my Vegas, what I thought might be an anal gland problem turned out to be an infected tail pocket. I had no idea Vegas even had a tail pocket. He was scooting his bottom on the floor, so when I took him in to be fixed, I asked them to express his anal glands. When I was picking him up, they said his anal glands were fine, but his tail pocket was infected. So, after researching and talking to others, we decided to have his tail pocket closed up. AKA, tail amputation. He's now 3 and he's never scooted since. Now, Orion. I don't know what sets her off, but I occasionally have to put her in the sink for a booty cleaning. She gets a "hiney shiney" with hand soap and baby wipes. It usually cleans up the smell from the glands. Ick. Hey, that should be right after Newbie. Anal Gland squeezer.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have had this issue with both of my older boys. It was moisture and yeast around the tail that was causing discomfort and a very odd breakdance of sorts when Linus or Bentley got on a carpeted floor. Thus the tradition of the bedtime butt cleaning was born during which the dogs jump around and stick their tongues out while they get their tails cleaned with baby wipes. It must be quite an experience because it's like an event in our house, they seem to love it.

So it could just be a dirty tail area - not the glands - I would clean around the tail real good and see how it goes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.