bully care advice

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I was recently Given and english bulldog who was being hygenically neglected. He has yellow stains on his white fur and a tight tail that will have to be removed if myself and my vet cant get it healed. He also had like boils on his anas which the vet said was caused by poor care and his anal glands not being expressed. If anyone has any tips besides cephalexin which he was prescribed and destin plus 3-4 cleanings a day I would be soooo appreciative.:bully:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh the poor thing. I have no advice but I am sure you will get some good info here. Sounds like he was surely lucky to have found you! Any pics?

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Yes I was looking for a deaf one when someone called me and asked if i wanted him. He is such a sweet heart. I am still kinda new to navigating on here. How do I post pics?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
There is a whole section of tutorials so I will give you that link since i am sure you will need other tips for around here. If you still dont figure it out just ask, we all went thru (and are going thru) this learning process. ;) I find that if you use photobucket it works the easiest for me and there is a tutorial for that on there also.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...Quick-and-Easy-Site-Tutorials-for-New-Members

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Not sure how to get the yellow stains off specifically but when you bathe him (unless you have been directed otherwise by the vet) I would suggest using a fragrance/soap free shampoo. The bully skin is sensitive and you don't want to use harsh soaps, I use Tropiclean Hypo-allergenic Puppy shampoo. Either petco or petsmart definitely carries it but there are other brands available out there I am sure that are fragrance/soap free. Not sure what to do about his poor boils, I guess just keep up on the expressions? Every dog is different, Sam needs his expressed about every 2 months. Samson also has a tight tail that I have to clean to prevent from getting infected. My vet has me clean it with the fort dodge waterless shampoo (spray on a gauze pad or something) then wipe under the tail. Then followed up with wiping under the tail with the mal-a-ket wipes. Hope that helps and I hope Mr. Beefy gets better soon! Poor guy, so glad you saved him! I can't see how a person can allow an animal to get into such a condition.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
awww spike is solid white and we use angel eyes for his tear stains...just recently his right eye wrinkle became all red and ugly i put aveeno baby diaper rash cream on it and it worked miracles. spike was also having alot of skin issues until we finally realized it was his food we were feeding him so we switched from purina puppy chow to royal canin puppy medium. good luck and glad you will be able to care for this bully :) he is lucky to have u

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Crystal brought up a great point, yes food! Samson is mostly white, he used to get bad tear stains and has always had skin issues. After I switched him to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish it all cleared up! It's part of the limited ingredient line for dogs with allergies, it's a great food. I have recently switched him to Fromm because he still licks his paws (allergies) and it's been highly recommended on this site. But I still think Natural Balance is a good food, reasonably priced and it can be found alot more places. Like Petco carries it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, the only thing I would recommend is making sure you get him on a good solid diet, supplement, and salmon oil. Slowly change the food= don't do it overnight, this upsets the tummy. We all recommend many different foods here, but Fromm is pretty popular among bully owners, I :heart: it, and I also :heart: AvoDerm.

Happy you have a bully, CANNOT WAIT to see pix!!!! :D

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I use diamond naturals dog food because it has no fillers, corn or wheat. His "butt" already looks better now that his poo is becoming regular since he's done with the antibiotics. I also cook him veggies. I posted some pics. Thanks everyone for the advice

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My Abby has a lot of skin issues and allergies. I switched to the Natural Balance Sweet potato and Bison. Natural Balance has limited ingredients and are formed for allergy prone dogs. Also most allergies come from the fillers/grains. I hope he starts getting better soon.

ohiostatebulldogs

Jul 23, 2010
Wooster Ohio , USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
Also a good food is key to a bulldogs coat and health. I use Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish and none of my bullies have tear stains or allergies. hope this helps!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
thanks for all the advice. Mr. Beefy is still having anal gland issues so they may have to be removed. But a groomer gave me a good shampoo that has really lightened the yellow and his tail is Alot better. Thanks All

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
I use the whitening shampoo and a couple drops of lavender essential oil...this helps with soothing skin irritations. I use Destin on wrinkles and/or Emu Oil balm. It is great as it repells the moisture, great for the skin as it is not irritating. I use it on myself for skin irritations, cuts, dry skin, tattoos. It is one of the only oils that actually penetrates all 7 layers of the skin.

Still have Holly :D

lulu holly2.jpg

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
For some reason Chester got a stain around his neck.. it kind of look liked tear stain and I'm not sure if it was from sweat when he wore the neck collar, but anyway.. we faithfully put cornstarch baby powder on the area twice a day and now it's barely noticeable. Not sure if it would help, but it may be worth a try.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online