food allergy

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
as most of you know ,i raw feed ,well annies itching all but stopped when i stopped feeding chicken ,i know many dogs are allergic to chicken even raw fresh chicken,well i have been feeding tripe from a regular supplier but last week i tried a different supplier ,well all week annie has been itching !!,but there is one thing i have noticed and thats her ears ,when her itching stopped her ears were very cool to touch but since her itching is back her ears are constantly hot and red ,i have to say in the 12 months that she has had the itchies i have never noticed her ear temp,another thing i have read is that a food allergy shows up in belly and pit scratching which i never knew,i have always thought her itching was ocd or something in the air ,life with a bulldog is a real learning curve ,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] sarah is the same way with her allergies. her ears will get hot and red and she will pant and be hot. i call it her hot and panty stage. this can some from a food i giver her or just being outside for a while. and sarah has also scratched he belly before to. i put some powder on it and she stops. lots of times she will scratch it in her sleep. i have to make her quite. lots of ways to show allergy with these guys.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't have any wisdom, but I just had to say I love your avatar. Annie is adorable....:heart:

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
There is a rare case in the yahoo news where in the child is allergic to every food. The child is on feeding tubes directly on the stomach and is being supplemented with a special formula by her doc. What if this happens to our English bulldogs?

Last edited:
OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
@karenben sarah is the same way with her allergies. her ears will get hot and red and she will pant and be hot. i call it her hot and panty stage. this can some from a food i giver her or just being outside for a while. and sarah has also scratched he belly before to. i put some powder on it and she stops. lots of times she will scratch it in her sleep. i have to make her quite. lots of ways to show allergy with these guys.
well no more chicken for annie or tripe for a while,she seems ok on rabbit and the deep red meats so if she limited to these then so be it ,never had so much bother with a bulldog and ive had a few over the years lol,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well no more chicken for annie or tripe for a while,she seems ok on rabbit and the deep red meats so if she limited to these then so be it ,never had so much bother with a bulldog and ive had a few over the years lol,karen
well ive never had a bulldog before but ive never had so much bother with a dog in general. i would not change having her for nothing though. i love her so much. and annie looks fantastic and you have so much knowledge now to pass on to someone else. your a good mama karen :D

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well ive never had a bulldog before but ive never had so much bother with a dog in general. i would not change having her for nothing though. i love her so much. and annie looks fantastic and you have so much knowledge now to pass on to someone else. your a good mama karen :D
ditto xx,karen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke's ears were a tell tale sign of his allergies kicking his butt --- red and very warm

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

I agree, Karen has been so inspiring to me I would love to just start the raw diet .....like yesterday already. But with 5 , I'm leery of fighting and the mess. For instance, today it took me hours to give baths and pedicures on 16 of the paws. I have to sedate Jack to do his nails and I really wasn't into sedating him today. uugghhh.
Karen, you always make it look so easy and delicious. Annie is one lucky Bully

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I agree, Karen has been so inspiring to me I would love to just start the raw diet .....like yesterday already. But with 5 , I'm leery of fighting and the mess. For instance, today it took me hours to give baths and pedicures on 16 of the paws. I have to sedate Jack to do his nails and I really wasn't into sedating him today. uugghhh.
Karen, you always make it look so easy and delicious. Annie is one lucky Bully
thankyou,can i ask why do you do pedicures on your dogs?,im not being funny its a genuine question,doesnt walking on hard surface keep them short,as for feeding 5 its an awful lot to feed,do they not fight when you feed them kibble?,i feed annie out of a bowl like i would kibble,i do throw her bonny meal on the ground but if the weather is bad i feed it her in the crate,i would imagine it would be a lot cheaper for you to raw feed as youhave meat coops in the states where the raw feeders pool thier resources,karen

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
thankyou,can i ask why do you do pedicures on your dogs?,im not being funny its a genuine question,doesnt walking on hard surface keep them short,as for feeding 5 its an awful lot to feed,do they not fight when you feed them kibble?,i feed annie out of a bowl like i would kibble,i do throw her bonny meal on the ground but if the weather is bad i feed it her in the crate,i would imagine it would be a lot cheaper for you to raw feed as youhave meat coops in the states where the raw feeders pool thier resources,karen

ahhhh, well by pedicures I mean just trim the nails while they are soft. Jack is 8 years old and so bowlegged it's painful for him to make it around the block any more. his nails get longer then the others. I give him glucosemine and chondroutin. Even so, he's not the same pup. the only hard surface we have is if we go for walks. They have a fenced in yard that's all grass.
Griz and Peggy really need to lose weight !
Do you give any specific vitamins that aren't in the food? And is she satisfied with the meal you set before her.
These guys get 2 cups of kibble a day. And they are very food motivated and always seem hungry.
thanks for all your info

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ahhhh, well by pedicures I mean just trim the nails while they are soft. Jack is 8 years old and so bowlegged it's painful for him to make it around the block any more. his nails get longer then the others. I give him glucosemine and chondroutin. Even so, he's not the same pup. the only hard surface we have is if we go for walks. They have a fenced in yard that's all grass.
Griz and Peggy really need to lose weight !
Do you give any specific vitamins that aren't in the food? And is she satisfied with the meal you set before her.
These guys get 2 cups of kibble a day. And they are very food motivated and always seem hungry.
thanks for all your info
i see why you cut the nails,yes annie is very satisfied,she gets a pound a day ,i also give emu oil and have seen a big difference in her overall health,bulldogs can be very greedy dogs,i feed annie once a day ,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.