Lump on incision area with pictures

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So I noticed a lump on Brutus! He had a prolapsed urethra as some may know and he had to have emergency surgery! At that time we decided to neuter as well to avoid additonal surgery and prevent re-occurence of prolapse. Well this was on 2/4 the surgery and I just now noticed a lump on the incision area tonight as he was sleeping! This was not there before as I would have seen it! Brutus always sleeps on his back with legs wide open and I would have noticed! Plus he gets washed with baby wipes often and I usually wipe that area and never noticed it! Its not hard at all and it doesnt seem to hurt him! I used some peroxide to clean it to see if it bubbled maybe a cut I thought but it didnt bubble and its not cut or bleeding! Does anyone know what this could be? Should I mention anything to the vet?

Anyone with any advice to give Much appreciated!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did he have dissolveable stitches or ones that needed to be removed? I ask this because Molly had something similar after surgery, it was a piece of the suture making its way to the surface. It resembled a nipple. It popped on its own like a big pimple and I cleaned it up. A hard piece of something came out and it was healed in a couple of days. This was about a month after or longer that she had the incision. Maybe even 3 months, can't remember! My vet said it was a piece of the stitches that did not dissolve. Since then we prefer ones (stitches) that need to be removed. I just clip them off myself.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake had a real problem with his suture material after his neutering. He had an umbilical hernia repaired at the sme time. The vet used two different types of sutures and he had a rejection problem with one type. There was a lump also..but the sutures were opening and dissolving! I know how worried you must be...because you're a mom!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everyone else that it may be a reaction to the sutures. Lucy had a bad reaction to the dissolvable ones after her first C-section.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

yes He did have dissolvablle stiches and it does look like one is at the surface and it actually came out this morning when I cleaned the area today! Its looks a little better today and not so swollen since the stich came out this morning..Should I get him to the vet today(er hospt) to have it checked or could I wait until Monday! Of course our normal vet isnt availabe and the hospt always says they need to look at him!

You are all the best thanks for helping me always when I need it!

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
How big is the lump? Does it have pus? You better watch out for signs of infection.

There is no puss or any discharge at all. It did look like one of the stiches didnt dissolve and came out this morning so it looks better! I will just keep it clean until Monday when we can get to the vet! Thanks for the input

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I sent you a private message. I really hope it helps. If not PLEASE let me know. I know how hear wrenching it is when something is wrong with our boys and we can't fix it right away!

His appetite , bowls, are all normal and he doesnt get upset when I touch or clean it so I know it doesnt hurt! I just needed to verify with everyone here what it was! THey are the best on this site and couldnt have asked for better family to help with Brutus!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@desertskybulldogs @JAKEISGREAT @Davidh

yes He did have dissolvablle stiches and it does look like one is at the surface and it actually came out this morning when I cleaned the area today! Its looks a little better today and not so swollen since the stich came out this morning..Should I get him to the vet today(er hospt) to have it checked or could I wait until Monday! Of course our normal vet isnt availabe and the hospt always says they need to look at him!

You are all the best thanks for helping me always when I need it!

If it were me...and it looks better and he is acting normal..eating etc, I'd just wait..try to keep him from being too wild..let the sutures rest a bit..the swelling might have been from one stitch pulling too tight. Usually..there are stitches layered under what you actually see. Just do what you've been doing..don't mess with it too much and have him rest..

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
If it were me...and it looks better and he is acting normal..eating etc, I'd just wait..try to keep him from being too wild..let the sutures rest a bit..the swelling might have been from one stitch pulling too tight. Usually..there are stitches layered under what you actually see. Just do what you've been doing..don't mess with it too much and have him rest..

Thanks so much! I will keep him quiet and I will just clean there 1 time a day! Thanks again

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Since the suture came out I would just watch it since it seems to be getting better. Hopefully in a day or so it will be gone. I'd just keep it clean like you have been doing and see how it looks Monday.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.