And we have a leg injury...

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
I have spent the day on here reading forums on limping pups and hip dysplasia. George started limping on his right, rear leg, 1 week ago Monday. We woke up and I let him out his crate and he had a funny way about his walk. So I called my husband and said he noticed the same thing when he let him out to go to the bathroom. I thought he was stiff because he was very busy on Sunday; he took three, 20 minute walks. You see George is VERY hyper. The vet said he needed more activity. So we increased from one, 20 minute walk to 2, 20 minute walks. Well Sunday night my husband walked to the neighbors, something about the tractor, well george wanted to go and he went, that made the thrid walk. He was fine when he came back. He went about his regular night time routine without limping or any abnormal behavior. So Monday morning, thought the limp was from stiff muscles because of being soo active. Well, I took him on his lunch time walk and we couldn't make it all the way without him stopping to lay down. That is very abnormal, VERY. So we very slowly made it back home and I called the vet. They said have him rest for 24 hours and call back if it doesn't subside. So, next day, same thing, into the vet we go, they said probably muscle sprain, keep George inactive and calm for 7 days plus take anit-inflamatories. So that's what we do. That brings us to this past Tuesday, mind you keeping George calm is NOT easy, he jumps like a jack russel, on and off every piece of furniture he
wants. Tuesday was a busy day so I decided we will try our traditional walk on Wednesday (yesterday), well I took him out and the same thing happened, we made it about 10 minutes. He only limps when he is walking a normal, slow pace, if he trots along he is fine. Yesterday, he decided to run and his back legs kept hitting one another. Our next step, if he wasn't better was to have him sedated for x-rays. Th odd thing is he walks on the outer two toes of the back right paw, the inner digit never touches. So did he hurt his foot and is walking funny which is putting pressure on his hip or does he have hip dysplasia and it is causing him to walk funny on his foot?!
Any thoughts, ideas, or questions from all of you experts?

MikiLove

Jan 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Shia
I hope it's not, but it sounds like an ACL tear. My bully tore hers a few months ago. She is also really hyper, and the vet said that it's a very common injury for hyper dogs. She had her limp for about 3 days before I took her in, thinking it was sprain or something less severe. She also wouldn't put pressure on her foot and would favor it when she was sitting. She didn't whine until I picked her up and must have hit it just wrong, she is a tough girl. Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ouch that doesnt sound good. I am no expert and have been dealing with my Cutty having hurt his hind leg last week too BUT his limp seems to be getting gradually better. I think. Do you see improvement with your baby or is it the same limp this whole time? If the limp hasnt improved then I would by all means get to the vet. This is how I have been deciding what to do with Cutty. Everyday I see some sign of improvement so I am letting him take his time healing. I worry about their acl cuz I know bullies have that tear often and he too is a crazy jumping bully.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hope it is nothing, but in my opinion he needs to have that leg X-rayd. These heavy dogs should really avoid jumping up and down furniture and even go up and down stairs until about a year old. Until their growth plates have hardened. Just a normal walk, even much longer than 20 minutes should not result to any injury like this. Mental exercise is also good for hyper dogs. If you exercise a dog physically you get a fitter dog that needs more exercise to get tired and when you exercise a dog mentally you get a smarter dog and he/she gets tired quicker.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he doesn't improve in a few days I think I would so the x-rays. Give him a few days of rest to see if he improves.

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
I hope it's not, but it sounds like an ACL tear. My bully tore hers a few months ago. She is also really hyper, and the vet said that it's a very common injury for hyper dogs. She had her limp for about 3 days before I took her in, thinking it was sprain or something less severe. She also wouldn't put pressure on her foot and would favor it when she was sitting. She didn't whine until I picked her up and must have hit it just wrong, she is a tough girl. Good luck!

How did they find out she tore hers and how did they treat it?

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hope it is nothing, but in my opinion he needs to have that leg X-rayd. These heavy dogs should really avoid jumping up and down furniture and even go up and down stairs until about a year old. Until their growth plates have hardened. Just a normal walk, even much longer than 20 minutes should not result to any injury like this. Mental exercise is also good for hyper dogs. If you exercise a dog physically you get a fitter dog that needs more exercise to get tired and when you exercise a dog mentally you get a smarter dog and he/she gets tired quicker.

We have never been told about high impact activity such as jumping on and off of things. It makes a lot of sense but we were never told by a vet or breeder, even in the books I have read it was never discussed but the same thing for kids...they don't offer track until middle and high school and I wonder if that is why because of the impact on the growth plates.

Where did you hear that they should avoid high impact activities?

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Thank you all for the responses so far. I hope to hear from more of you. I will be calling the vet back tomorrow to schedule the sedation and x-rays. We are the ninth day of limping thus far. I really hate to have him sedated but I know they will get the best views. I just get some nervous with bulldogs having compromised airways and being so sensitive to medications and just life in general.
They may have to sedate me, just to sedate him. I worry so much about him!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have much advice on this..Just hope everything goes well and its nothing...Brutus is the same way with jumping and running and I always get scared but its hard to stop them sometimes...Prayers for your boy!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We have never been told about high impact activity such as jumping on and off of things. It makes a lot of sense but we were never told by a vet or breeder, even in the books I have read it was never discussed but the same thing for kids...they don't offer track until middle and high school and I wonder if that is why because of the impact on the growth plates.

Where did you hear that they should avoid high impact activities?

I don't remember when I first heard about it, but Usko's breeder advised us not let him go down stairs or jump up and down furniture. We carried him down stairs since he was a year old (and 50 lbs) and we still don't let him on furniture, now for another reason.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea is experiencing a similar thing - almost verbatim. Not putting pressure on that middle pad....limping and then not limping.... I think it's from a hip check she got out in the yard from Bo the Monster. Yesterday, it didn't seem to be bothering her and she walked perfectly fine and in a "peppy" way, mind you, which is an occasional thing with Bea - on one of our longer walks.

Alternatively, she also acts crotchety, creaky and cranky. My friend Susan's parents had a dog with similar issues - a Giant Schnauzer - and it was thyroid. After being on medication for a month, it was like he was a new dog. He's ten years old now and acts like a puppy! I see blood work in my near future. Her thyroid was tested last spring and was fine... I wonder how long it takes for thyroid to go haywire?

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Have you also checked the foot pads? Somehow once, Mr. D had a "split" in his middle pad on one front foot after a walk once and it took us a bit to realize what had happened because he was limping. We thought he hurt his leg and the split wasn't visible until the next morning - I was so upset!! Bag Balm helped it heal within a week or so and fiance felt awful - said on way back he was trying to walk him in the grass and Mr. D was being subborn and kept wanting to walk in the street (hot pavement probably, oouch!!!) - we think that's where it came from, anyways. He's never walked anymore unless the sun is down if it's hot out because he never wants to walk in grass, but beside you on the pavement (no sidewalks here but road isn't busy).
ETA: I hope it's nothing serious and your baby is feeling back to 100% soon!

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
So George's vet office just called back and they quoted me $370-$531 for sedation and x-rays. I am flabbergasted. I thought 200-250$. And I would need to take off work at the job I do not start til the week they want to schedule it.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Holee buckets! I just had Talulah in for the same deal and it cost $300.00. I had a lab that had ACL surgery,it took a long time to heal but she was good as new after that. I hope it's nothing too serious for your buddy,good luck!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sorry Kristin, I have no advice on this but Im glad to see you posting even if it is under an unpleasant situation. Quit being such a stranger!!!! OH,, and where are the pix????? ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.