Medication Causing Anxiety/Restlessness?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bre has been on two rounds of amoxicillan & rimadyl now (first for the cat bites/scratches and now for the dog bite). Something I have noticed though...she paces and paces, sniffing all around the house. This is not normal Bre behavior at all. Normally she just saunters out of her crate when I get home and then plops down on the floor. She only gets up if it involves food or pottying..or to follow me to a different room.

Last night and the night before she literally paced around for 45 minutes before she calmed down and finally laid down. My question is this....could either the rimadyl (for pain) or the amoxicillan (antibiotic to prevent infection) be causing her some anxiety?
I wouldn't think that either one would...if anything I would assume the rimadyl would make her sort of sleepy. My other thought is that she is recovering from some mental trauma after Sookie attacking her and it doesn't have to do with the medication.

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]
Don't know if this will make any sense to you but I have had a similar reaction to amoxicillin ...makes me kind of punchy

[edit]Adverse effects

Side-effects are as those for other beta-lactam antibiotics. Side-effects include nausea, vomiting, rashes, and antibiotic-associated colitis. Loose bowel movements (diarrhea) also may occur. Rarer, but patient-reported, side-effects include mental changes, lightheadedness, insomnia, confusion, anxiety, sensitivity to lights and sounds, and unclear thinking. Immediate medical care is required upon the first signs of these side-effects.

I copied and pasted that from Wikipedia.... It's side-effects for human use so I don't know if that transfers to dogs....

The side -effects for Rimadyl, short time use is gastric upset....

I hope Bre feels better soon.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would think even a reaction like an upset tummy could manifest itself as stress or anxiety. Make sure her tummy is not empty when giving meds. I had a Dobie and Rottie on Rimadyl for years..no problems at all...

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]...I give her dose one with her kibble and dose two with a big "bedtime" snack. I wonder if it could upset her stomach even with food though?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Bre has been on two rounds of amoxicillan & rimadyl now (first for the cat bites/scratches and now for the dog bite). Something I have noticed though...she paces and paces, sniffing all around the house. This is not normal Bre behavior at all. Normally she just saunters out of her crate when I get home and then plops down on the floor. She only gets up if it involves food or pottying..or to follow me to a different room.

Last night and the night before she literally paced around for 45 minutes before she calmed down and finally laid down. My question is this....could either the rimadyl (for pain) or the amoxicillan (antibiotic to prevent infection) be causing her some anxiety?
I wouldn't think that either one would...if anything I would assume the rimadyl would make her sort of sleepy. My other thought is that she is recovering from some mental trauma after Sookie attacking her and it doesn't have to do with the medication.

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't experienced any of this but its worth a Google search. Like "side affects of Bulldog on Amoxecillan" and then do the rimadyl search for side affects. You should be able to find something

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The bread might be worth a try, thanks!
I'm hoping the rimadyl is holding her pain-wise. She is actually starting to itch her neck where the drains and sutures are...and usually itching means scabbing/healing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She looks pretty good considering how bad it was. No redness or puffiness.

We go back to the vet on Friday so I'll have him see what he thinks about how well she is healing

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This is how her bad side looks tonight. She's finally asleep so I didn't want to wake her up to get a pic of the drains too. The bright red is the sutures on her cheek.
007.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This is how her bad side looks tonight. She's finally asleep so I didn't want to wake her up to get a pic of the drains too. The bright red is the sutures on her cheek.
007.jpg

Brutus was on amox, and rimadol for about 2-3 weeks when he had surgery! I didnt notice any side effects or any changes...He did have 2 seizures which was caused by stress/pain...Hope everything gets better and wishing for a fast recovery for Bre!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Anyone heard of Bach Rescue Remedy for pets? Supposed to relieve separation anxiety and it's all natural.

my vet recomended it for gregory, after he was bit by another dog he gets very anxious at times in new places. im starting him on it soon. im trying to find somewhere to buy it locally, online with shipping to canada is like 50$

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
my vet recomended it for gregory, after he was bit by another dog he gets very anxious at times in new places. im starting him on it soon. im trying to find somewhere to buy it locally, online with shipping to canada is like 50$

Yikes amazon has it for 17$ shipped here in the states. I think I'm going to buy it it's just plant extract and it has great reviews. Dozer goes nuts of anyone leaves him alone for more than a minute.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.