colitis???

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Last week Chuy had runny poo and it got pretty bad Friday night so he got to visit the vet on Saturday. I remember Chelsea having similar issues as a puppy so I thought it is was best to wait until it actually worsened.... plus he was acting totally normal and Chelsea is just fine.

The vet tested is poo and didn't find anything. He said Chuy had colitis and prescribed him Metronidazole. We also picked up a bag of Prescription I/D dry food and 6 cans of the wet food. I always make sure to get the canned food because my dogs LOVE it (they usually only get dry food) and I figure if they are not feeling good the least I can do is give them yummier food.

Since Saturday Chuy has only slightly improved. I plan to go back the vet to extend is prescription and add another one too today. Hope that helps.

Any thoughts?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have no experience but im going to tag [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] as her banks has it. she should be able to help. im sorry your baby is going through this. :hug:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
i have no experience but im going to tag [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] as her banks has it. she should be able to help. im sorry your baby is going through this. :hug:

Me either... I don't even know what colitis is....but boy, I sure hope your baby gets better soon!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OP
wautersa

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Thanks everyone! He is acting totally normal, eating normally (which is like a pig - I swear he acts like he is never fed), playing, drinking, ... So I just hope that he isn't in any pain.

My boyfriend is picking up more prescriptions for Chuy from the vet so hopefully it gets all cleared up in the next 5 days. It would be great not to have to wipe his bum every time he goes outside too. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3100]wautersa[/MENTION]

Yes, Banks has colitis ... basically their system can not handle/breakdown high levels of bacteria which causes the runny :poo: and bleeding. Banks was on the Metro for about a week with the bland diet (ground beef and rice). at the time, she was being feed raw which her body was not liking any longer, this is when we switched her to Fromm Beef Frittata. She was doing OK for a few weeks and then it came back so she is not on Tylan powder daily with meals .. 1/8 of a teaspoon. We tried to take her off the Tylan and about a month off of it, she started bleeding again.

as for pain, they are uncomfortable, but it is not overly painful to impact behavior. Appetite and behavior should all remain the same.... the only time Banks was 'off' was when it first started which was the week before Nitshcke died... so we are not sure if it was the colitis impacting her or if she sensed something going on with Nitschke.

The prescription food isn't necessary --- bland diet will do the trick.

Let me know if you have any questions.... Banks has a pretty severe case of it.

Last edited:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Gastrointestinal Goddess....love it! LOL

Poor Chuy, he's been pretty healthy other than this, hasn't he? I don't know anything about this particular condition in dogs but I wish you the best of luck in getting him healthy and happy! :)

OP
wautersa

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]! Poor Banks!

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] - Chuy has been perfect (except taking longer to house train).

I really hope he gets better fast. He only had bloody poo Friday night and Saturday morning.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Pooooooor ChuChu :(

Think I'd try the bland diet instead of the prescription food. It could be the food change that is continuing the problem. I also wonder if a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) might help. We have used Metro on our fish but not HRH. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic that works on a lot of gram positive and gram negative meanies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.