Post a video or audio of your dogs congestion in the morning

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I was curious what your dog sounds like in the morning after waking up. Kain as you know has fought a few fever spikes (4 to be exact) last couple days have been great though (knock on wood).

I'm curious what your dog sounds like if you have any mucas / congestion where they clean there throats by a cough etc.

Not being a bully owner before I label it as normal but would like to see your babies and compare.

Hopefully this makes sense, who knows maybe the congested sound / throat clearing isnt as normal as I think and related to his off fever symptoms he has had. BTW he is 4 months old not sure if this also changes as they get older.

Vince

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
None of my Bulldogs have ever had morning congestion, but if they did I'd take them to the vet to find out why. Could it be kennel cough? It wouldn't just be after waking up in the morning. Is the cough productive--does he cough up mucus? Kain is a handsome pup!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is not that bad.... Nitschke was horrible

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
my bullies have never had morning congestion...i would also take them to the vet if they had fever and congestion.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus is not congested or have mucus in the morning or any other time! I would be concerned and have him checked by my vet. Hope he is okay!

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Very interesting indeed... I'm starting to think the morning congestion is directly related to his fevers we had. Believe it or not we thought the sound was fairly normal for the breed but not being around bulldogs before we didn't know what to expect.

Soooo now, i'm thinking I should think about switching his food to something better (Using Royal Canin) and I read and here all the bad on that as a 2 star food, vets all over sell it and rave it up telling me the food is all the same and it's all marketing so it's such a mess out there to figure out.

I understand alot of people use FROMM here correct? Does anyone buy from Amazon or what brand would you recommend I try first?

I was also going to give a little bit of Benadril as I'm sure the congestion is a sign of his previous fever he had so that will be a positive thing I would think similar to allergy season.

Lastly, I will try to get the morning sound recorded so I can take that to the vet with me as it clears up for the day and when I'm at the vet they are probably not aware of the morning congestion I speak of.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
What did you find or end up doing with Nitschke? Easiest way I can describe it is sometimes he sounds like a coffee pot peculating. lol

I'm curious if it was food / allergy related or if they grew out of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What did you find or end up doing with Nitschke? Easiest way I can describe it is sometimes he sounds like a coffee pot peculating. lol I'm curious if it was food / allergy related or if they grew out of it.

That is how Nitschke was... a lot of it were allergies as it would be worse during spring/summer/fall, Benedryl 2x a day helped, also keeping the house cool for him and not out too much/long on very hot days. also, when he was about 2 he had to have his soft pallet reduced and his nostrils widened that really helped with it.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus never sounded congested...A fever is usually caused by something..I would have the vet look him over esp if he has been having a fever now with congestion..Congestion could be normal but not accompined by a fever..Let us know how everything turns out for you guys!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I feed Zeus Fromm 4 star all stages and have it shipped from Petflow. My Westie was having allergies and I was giving her Claritin daily until I switched her to Fromm. She no longer has allergies or yeast infections with the Fromm. Several people on this site use Fromm.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Uni does clear her throat often.( a little cough like sound) But not any more in the morning that other times of day. And no mucus.

What I wonder about is why she all ways gags after she eats it's like food gets stuck in her throat.

Most Reactions