Do you brush your bully's teeth?

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I used to brush Mr. D's when he was a puppy - he didn't care for it and just wanted to eat the toothpaste - as he got older, we got very lax on that. :( After a very expensive dental and 3 teeth and an abscess (on the bill it says "tumor" which I need to ask about this week when we go for recheck) removed at only age 5, I am going to start again when his mouth is healed.

Just curious what you all do here, and any good techniques? I want to get a brush I can fit on my finger to do this I think, too. The toothpaste they gave me is a vanilla mint one, whereas the one I had when he was a puppy was peanut butter flavored (and gross and brown looking, lol!)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When HRH came here to rule we had the vet do her teeth when he redid a hernia. Brushing her teeth didnt go so well but she loves to gnaw on hard rubber bones. We buy the ones that are supposed to be good for dental health. The result is that she was at the vet a couple of weeks ago and he asked if we had been brushing her teeth because they were in such a good condition. :heart::heart::heart:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sad to say we do not brush their teeth either, but they do love to chew on their Nylabones and Kong bone so that helps to keep them clean.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
No brushing necessary here either. Great chewers = clean teeth The all got gold stars at their yearly visit last week. :happydance:

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. D loves to chew, but I've been afraid of the Nylabone (that he could somehow swallow it) - what size do you all use? He does get meat bones occasionally from his daddy, but those scare me to death as well.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i had every intention of brushing their teeth, and have the little finger toothbrushes and doggy toothpaste...but sadly it has ended up with the kong.

maybe i'll start again (humph!:blink:)

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I buy pet toothpaste from my vet, the brand is C.E.T, they have different flavors, my dogs like the poultry flavor, vanilla flavor not so much :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when i started raw feeding i read a few books and one of then was ian billinghurst give the dog a bone ,it had a big chapter on the health of dogs teeth/gums,it stated that a lot of health problems stem from bad teeth/gums and not just in the mouth,it effects the whole dog health wise,a nice rib bone a couple of times a week will clean any tartar ,karen

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info, everyone!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
no brushing...lots of carrots and they chew on bones. the vet said the carrots are keeping their teeth in great condition and they can have as many as they want as treats(well in moderation...they would eat the whole bag)

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhh Mr. D does NOT like carrots, even the baby ones. We once even cut them up in small pieces and put them with his kibble and he spit them all out. Bummed me out because I know they're good for him!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I brush Brutus's teeth 1-2 times a week! :bang: Its a chore to do it! Maybe I dont need to since he does eat carrots, and always has one of his many nylabones... :hmm: Now Im wondering if I am driving myself :girlwacko: for no reason!

Most Reactions