Eat S*$(%!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
The title really says it all...for some reason, a certain baby bulldog has become very interested in his own poop. He's getting a lot better about going outside but I've caught him a couple times with a turd in his mouth! There have been times I know he has gone in his crate but I don't find any poops....I think they've gone down the hatch.

This is a very recent development. Why do some puppies eat their own poop? And (other than saying "no!") is there any way to make him stop or make it less appealing to him?

Help! This is so gross! :eek:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My friend's shih-tzu Skittles did this as a pup for awhile. Someone told my friend to mix pineapple in Skittles food, it actually worked for them. My friend doesn't have to add the pineapple anymore, Skittles just stopped doing it all together. I saw in my Doctor Fosters & Smith catalog that they have a product for this as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, there is products you can buy for Coprophagia (eating poop syndrome)

I found this off a website that may or may not help you find out why he could be having Corprophagia:

Why Dogs Eat Poop: 20 Reasons

1. Your dog might be hungry. If your dog doesn't have access to food, he might eat poop.

2. Some dogs will eat poop to clean up an area like a housekeeper. This is most likely if your dog is confined to a crate or kennel, or when he's chained up or otherwise restricted. He's taking care of his space.

3. If your dog likes to carry poop, and then eat it, it could be genetics. Some dogs have instincts to carry stuff in their mouths.

4. Your dog might be eating poop because of parasites or worms. They can suck nutrients out of your dog, driving him to eat poop. It might also leave him extra hungry because of the lack of proper fuel.

5. Your dog might be eating cat poop or other animal poop to get key nutrients and minerals not available in his own food.

6. Some dogs will simply eat poop to pass the time. Dogs will eat poop because they are bored or lonely. It can be a sign of neglect.

7. Your dog might eat poop because he's anxious, nervous or otherwise upset. Stress will drive animals to do odd things.

8. Some dogs will eat poop to hide the evidence. If you punish your dog for pooping, he might eat it to stop you from getting angry.

9. If your dog has puppies, she might eat puppy poop. This is an instinct to hide the poop from predators. Poop is evidence. Getting ride of it keeps her puppies safe.

10. Some young dogs and puppies will eat poop as a novelty. That is, they'll eat poop as an experiment. They don't know better.

11. If your dog watches you pick up poop, he might learn to do the same. This is called allelomimetic behavior. Your dog observes you and learns from you, by putting the poop in his mouth you put poop in a bag.

12. Your dog might see others dogs eating poop. From this, they learn to eat poop too.

13. Many dogs simply like the taste of poop. This obviously doesn't make sense to dog owners but that's irrelevant. Some dog like to eat it and that's that. It's warm, moist, and very much like what your dog was given as a very young puppy.

14. If your dog food lacks key nutrients, he might eat poop. Your dog is trying to get "food" with nutrients any way possible, even from his own poop.

15. Sometimes dog poop seems like dog food. This can happen when dog food is low quality and includes materials that are easily passed and not absorbed by your dog. When the dog poops, it seems to be very much like the food he just consumed!

16. In some cases, dogs will eat poop if they are given too much food. This is especially true if your dog's diet is high in fat.

17. Some dogs will eat poop to gain attention. Many dog owners get very upset when their dog eats poop, which means the dog gets attention. This is a wonderful opportunity for your dog to interact with you, although it is because of negative attention.

18. It is possible that some dogs will eat the poop of other, more dominant dogs. Your dog might be more submissive than other dogs, resulting in strange poop eating behavior. This seems to occur more in households with multiple dogs where dominance and submission is a factor. Obviously this doesn't explain much about dogs eating cat poop or other animal poop.

19. It is possible that your dog wants to eat more than one time per day. If you only feed your dog once per day, and your dog eats poop, it could be an indication they want to eat more frequently.

20. In some cases, your dog will eat poop by accident. Dogs are curious and will try to eat almost anything, including poop. Dogs explore the world through taste and smell, much more than humans.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks, that list made me giggle. I definitely believe he's in an experimental phase where he's willing to try eating just about anything.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks, that list made me giggle. I definitely believe he's in an experimental phase where he's willing to try eating just about anything.

That would be my guess. We all know you are a good bully momma and that he isn't malnourished or surrounded in his own mess. And I'm sure they did lots of blood tests, etc before his surgery and has been deemed healthy (assumed we would have heard otherwise).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know I thought some of the 20 reasons were pretty amusing. Especially for those at EBN!!! LOL

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That list is great. I know I am sounding like a broken record, but EPI causes poop eating. Thank God Bella never got to that point. I assume that if a real good food is given, then their poop would probably be very good quality!!lol

It just confuses me why the Skittles stops it. I would think it would make it worse. What is gross is when they get into the Cat's litter box, dogs love cat poop!

ohiostatebulldogs

Jul 23, 2010
Wooster Ohio , USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
#1 reason dogs eat crap( most of the time this is caused by coccidia brought on by stress...or another parasite or infection that causes the food to pass throught the body without digesting 100%). Hope this Helps!!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks! He just had a battery of blood tests and a fecal so I think he's just being a gross puppy.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Thanks! He just had a battery of blood tests and a fecal so I think he's just being a gross puppy.

It's a boy thing....little boys love gross things!!! If he had skin, he would be eating worms. lol

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
LeRoy used to eat poop... but he was a puppy mill rescue. It took along time to get him to stop. He would twist around while pooing and eat it as it came out. I know... pretty gross. He hasn't done that in about a year now. I think he has grown out of it, or is tired of me yelling at him while pooing. I went so far and even tried an e-collar with him... that didn't even phase him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.