Allergy

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Took Beefy to the vet last week and the vet pointed out little red bumps on the back of his legs. I never noticed them. He suggested Benadryl but then said if the Benadryl didn't help then we would try a cortisone shot. Anyone else here do the shot?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i would avoid steroids as much as possible,absolutly no good for the immune system,annie had a bad case of hives but antihistamines sorted her out ,you may have to try a couple of different types before hitting on the right one,karen

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I noticed some people use Claritin. Do I use the same amount as I would with the Benadryl? The idea of a cortisone shot worried a bit so I thought I'd ask the pros.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
my vet knows i wont use steroids internally though i have used topical steroids on her ears,obviously if a dog is in a critical situation then steroids cant be avoided,but they tend to to more damage in the long run,if its a break out of hives then try antihistamines ,i gave annie 40mg of piriton and it cleared her hives up nicely,im not familiar with claritin ,perhaps google it if someone else doesnt come on board with advice,karen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i would also avoid steroids - my vet knows not to even mention them to me. However, twice Bnaks had gotten hives so bad her face was swollen and her breathing was very shallow so she had to get a cortisone shot . she was cleared up in about an hour and her breathing was normal within a few minutes. If the Benedryl is not helping, try Zyrtec... I am not sure about Clariton.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I use to give my Westie Claritin for allergies, but since I changed her to Fromm she doesn't need it anymore. She weighs 20 lbs and she took 1 tablet daily.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I also agree to try an avoid the shots...I would have an allergy test done if you havent already to see what he is allergic to and go from there...Maybe a simple food switch will help! Brutus is now 9months and since about 5 mnths he had red paws, licking paws, red muzzle at times so I switched to Fromm Beef Frittatta about 1 mnths ago and couldnt be happier! What works for some doesnt work for all but its def worth a shot. There is a forum on nutritien and food recommendations... Hope all goes well and please keep us posted

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I know this sounds odd but I dont see the little red bumps that the vet was talking about. Honestly! When the breeder had him on the junk food he definitely had allergy symptoms,,,, red skin, rubbing his face on everything, biting at his feet, bumps on his belly, etc. I put him on NVI and everything cleared up. This is a new vet that I used, I kinda had it out with our old vet. Long, long story. Anywho, this vet said as he raised Beefy's butt high in the air "You're dog has red bumps on his legs" yadda yadda. He suggested Benadryl, then he mentioned a cortisone shot. But to be honest,,,, I don't see anything. I had my hubs look and neither did he. So, I had my 2 spawns look and neither did they. I haven't given him anything for those so-called bumps. I'm kinda thinking it may be best to find another vet. :nope:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Maybe he broke out with the spots from stress of going to the vet and once out of there they went away. I'd just watch him and if they return then one capsule of Benedryl for each 25 pounds of dog is the dosage. If it continues then there may be an allergy issue. We'll cross that bridge if necessary...... and we need new pics of your little cutie!!!!! ;)

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep a close eye. I'm slacking on pics, lol, I know. He has gained 10 lbs since the last pic I posted. I'll get some up today.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.