Runny poo

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
One day Beefy will have firm poo and then a day or two later will have runny poo. The breeder had him on Science Diet (:barf:) and he was having allergy issues. I'm not sure how she didn't see it or maybe she didn't care. Anywho, I put Beefy on Nature's Variety Instinct Duck and Turkey and he has done great. Allergy problems stopped and he was gaining weight like he should but we have the poo problem. Would the food cause this?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:poo: issues abound here! He might have a sensitivity to something in the food. Yes..food and parasites are big triggers of runny poo. Has he been tested for parasites and Gardia? You can always add a spoonful of canned pumpkin...not the pie filling...to his food. It works great..but if it continues..you might consider a food switch..or allergy testing to narrow down his sensitivities. They can do fine on a food and then start to have problems. Kind of like it takes their systems time to show allergies..:confused: very confusing!

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
He has been tested for parasites and such and everything turned out ok. The vet suggested Science Diet (no thanks). He even sent me home with a puppy pack which contained a bag of Science Diet. Why do people love that stuff so much? Gross, gross, gross! I'll pick up a can of the pumpkin today and give it a try.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would try the pumpin and see if that helps, may have to try a different food or allergy testing. It is a hard thing to figure out. Could also be as simple as feeding too much. Might try cutting back just a little on his food to see if that helps.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I've always raised German Shepherds, I can tell you anything and everything about them, lol. Beefy is my first EB and I'm so confused, lol. He's my baby and I want the best for him, it's just hard trying to find what is right for him.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I've always raised German Shepherds, I can tell you anything and everything about them, lol. Beefy is my first EB and I'm so confused, lol. He's my baby and I want the best for him, it's just hard trying to find what is right for him.

Finding the right food is trial and error and can be very frustrating when you cant figure out what it is! When you did the food switch did you do it slow and gradual?? changing quick that could cause the tummy to be upset..We had Brutus on puppy food Solid Gold until 8 mnths and his poo for a ocuple months was never as hard as I would have liked...We did the switch to all stages Fromm 4 star (Try the food recomendation in nutriten forum) and I couldnt be happier already, within 1 mnth I have noticed such a big difference..>Finding the right food is a hard task sometimes , but the benefit of good food outweighs all the trouble of finding it! Keep us posted and let us know how everything goes? How old is beefy?

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I did a slow switch. He has been on the Natures Variety for over a month. Beefy is 4.5 months old. I'm going to try the pumpkin and see about switching to Fromm. I wonder if the Duck and Turkey may be too rich for him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you could also just cut back the amount being fed as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said or try the one of the limited ingredient nvi. let us know how it goes.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I'll keep ya'll updated. I'm going to try a couple of different things over a few days and see how it goes. I just picked up some pumpkin, we'll see how that goes. I'll try cutting back the amount as well. He gets Natures Variety Instinct now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got all the right advice.... just wanted to say good luck and keep us posted

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus is 9 weeks old and was tested when I brought him home for parasites. It was negative; however, he has some firm and some runny poo. I gave him pumpkin and yogurt. It continued to be intermittent runny poo. I took him back for another fecal in a week due to the continued loose poo. His appetite was excellent and he was very playful, but I was concerned about the intermittent diarrhea. The second fecal showed he had coccidia and the vet prescribed Albon for 10 days and then a recheck. Your baby can have a false negative fecal.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Hmm, I'll bring that up tomorrow. So far, the pumpkin has done well. Although yesterday he had (as I've heard ya'll say, lol) soft-serve. Wasn't exactly runny but wasn't exactly solid. He gets so excited when I bring the pumpkin out of the fridge. He has an appointment tomorrow so I'll bring up the coccidia and have him double check. Nothing like wiping dirty doggie booty.

Shadow Ann Martinez

Mar 24, 2012
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Couple tablespoons of canned pumkin or plain yogurt does wonders. What are you feeding now? I suggest GRAIN FREE. I tried Royal Canine, and it's much worse than it is good. Right now Tank is on Taste of the Wild. His tear stains cleared up, no more bumps, and after a week or two, his stool was less foul smelling.

Maybe it's worth giving a try?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.