Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To neuter or not to neuter, that is the question

Our vet said to do it when she is 6 months. She is 12 weeks now and is already trying to go to town (humping) with our other dog.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was researching this while I was waiting to get Abby. There is actually a new line of thinking that says its best to neuter or spay as early as 8 weeks. The thought process behind this is that an animal "altered" before 6 months of age has almost a 100% chance of remaining prostrate, testicular or ovarian cancer free. Research has shown that younger patients recover faster and have fewer surgical and post-surgical complications than their older counterparts. There is very little to no body fat to contend with, the incision is smaller, surgery time is reduced, recovery time is very short AND dogs will actually grow a little larger due to longer growth periods causing increased bone density. (told ya I researched this! )

I don't know if or when I am going to get Abby spayed. Because of her issues, I am leaving that completely up to her doctors. She needs to be physically strong enough and we will need to be sure her kidneys wont suffer from the anesthesia. One of her doctors still says that it's doubtful she will ever reach the age where we even have to consider it.

But the general consensus of doctors today think a good age for any animal (male or female) to go under the knife is between 4 and 6 months of age.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Obi
    Likes (Received)

I just want to say a quick thanks to everyone. Obi has been neutered and all is going very well. He seems to have more energy. The vet asked my to cut back on the amount of food we're feeding him. He's 5 months and came in at 39 pounds. They asked me to cut him back to 1 cup twice a day (Taste of the Wild). He seams to be doing well with it. I also have him on Sure Grow 100 and NuVet Plus. Once again. Thanks to everyone.

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Col was 13months but we had only had him two months.... But we had lots of aggression with him... His recovery was fast and his attitude is a million times better. Don't think Ive seen him hump yet.

~Heather~
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Obi is adorable, by the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads