Giving dog medication

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I hide my dogs' pills in a slice of Velveeta cheese, I know this may not be good because of allergys and the vet charges too much for those pill pockets, I was wondering what sneaky tricks you all use?!

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
It depends on the size of the pill. Usually I try to just put it in her food at meal time. She eats to fast she usually doesn't notice! If it's a big or brightly colored pill, I put it in a raspberry (they have a nice little pocket!) or squish it into cheese. I have a friend who wraps pills in lunch meat.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I worked at a boarding kennel in high school (please don't hate me, I know a lot of you folks have had bad experiences boarding your pups) and we would stuff medication in a small chunk of liverwurst. I never met a dog that wouldn't scarf this down.

Rook, however, is not a picky eater so anything in his food bowl ... or on the floor... gets eaten without a second thought.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I do something similar to [MENTION=3735]LaurenA[/MENTION]. I use Lucy's wet food to make a "meatball". She knows what "meatball" means and scarfs it down! Never used a pill pocket. Never had to!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
the boys just eat their heartworm pills like treats, but when Oliver needed to be on an antibiotic I would wrap it in lunchmeat or cheese. Even sticking it in a piece of hot dog works too!

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
doesnt matter what size of tablet i have to give ...i put it in a bit of peanut butter .... all 3 will take them this way

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I wrap in half a slice of american cheese as well and smoosh it in - he's never spit a pill out that way - he eats the heartworm monthly pill no problem though. The vet also mentioned peanut butter, which I never tried, and I know my mom would hide pills in a fingerful of sour cream and the dogs would lick it right down.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas has medication that he takes on a daily basis. 2 tablets and 4mls of liquid. Vegas was getting too fat on the cheese, So we just started using 1 quarter of a piece of bread. Vegas isn't picky at all and he will eat it no problem. We just throw O's pills in her dish.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I use the good ole american processed cheese slices. I've never had any of mine turn their noses up at it.
:D

OP
rainyruth

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I worked at a boarding kennel in high school (please don't hate me, I know a lot of you folks have had bad experiences boarding your pups) and we would stuff medication in a small chunk of liverwurst. I never met a dog that wouldn't scarf this down.

Rook, however, is not a picky eater so anything in his food bowl ... or on the floor... gets eaten without a second thought.

Interesting....liver wurst I might just try that, they sleep with me so I'll let you know about :fart: :D

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If your bully that is on meds is fed on kibble I'd just toss it in there. Bre is taking meds right now and I either toss hers in her food dish or I hold a piece of hot dog above her head so she has to tip her head back a little...then when she thinks I'm going to drop it in...I drop in the pill then the hotdog :) Good luck with your babes meds!!!

OP
rainyruth

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
If your bully that is on meds is fed on kibble I'd just toss it in there. Bre is taking meds right now and I either toss hers in her food dish or I hold a piece of hot dog above her head so she has to tip her head back a little...then when she thinks I'm going to drop it in...I drop in the pill then the hotdog :) Good luck with your babes meds!!!

Hahah! Oh you Are a devious one :D Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never fail for us is Lactose free Vanilla ice cream.... just enough to cover the pill.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny can smell a pill if it were in Limburger cheese, usually have to put in his mouth and make him swallow it, It"s a job !!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online