Giving dog medication

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Cheese always did the trick! Hopefully we never need to take anything but vitamins/heartworm...

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I do something similar to @LaurenA. I use Lucy's wet food to make a "meatball". She knows what "meatball" means and scarfs it down! Never used a pill pocket. Never had to!

I make a meatball from the wet food for her big pill too. Sometimes she finds it, sometimes she doesn't. The pepcid is small, I just throw that in the bowl along with the supplement drops and herbs. I just squirt the liquid into her mouth while shes yelling at me to hurry up and get the food ready

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Vegas has medication that he takes on a daily basis. 2 tablets and 4mls of liquid. Vegas was getting too fat on the cheese, So we just started using 1 quarter of a piece of bread. Vegas isn't picky at all and he will eat it no problem. We just throw O's pills in her dish.

Haha Colonel lover bread too!!! That's the only way he takes his allergie pill... Sure it might not be helping his allergies but its the only sane way of doing it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio gets two allergy pills a day and I just put it in cheese, sometimes the pill falls out but he thinks its a piece of cheese so he will eat it anyways! He never lets one crumb of food go to waste!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive used cheese wet food lunch meat peanut butter. mostly just use her wet food to put it in.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is such a good boy when it comes to taking stuff, but with medications, I have to wrap them up in cold-cuts, like roast beef or chicken. Nothing else works for him. I've tried the pill-pocket things, neither one of my dogs will go near them.

OP
rainyruth

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I worked at a boarding kennel in high school (please don't hate me, I know a lot of you folks have had bad experiences boarding your pups) and we would stuff medication in a small chunk of liverwurst. I never met a dog that wouldn't scarf this down.

Rook, however, is not a picky eater so anything in his food bowl ... or on the floor... gets eaten without a second thought.

Liver wurst working great, Thanks! :)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Louie, Wilson and BabyGirl all take it inside a dollop of cream cheese. Well this week Wilson decides he doesn't like cream cheese anymore and there is absolutely nothing I can bribe him with and so my heart sunk when he turned up his nose at the cream cheese. So I have to open his mouth and put the pill as far back as I can and then quickly chose it and blow softly into his nose and he swallows it. I do moisten the pill with a little bit of jarred baby food (beef, chicken or turkey). Da tings I gotta do! :bang:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.