Bre Back From the Vet (Caution, Surgical Photos in this Thread)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My poor sweet Bre came home late this morning. Her bites from Sookie were worse than even I thought they looked upon first inspection. The vet had to surgically go in and insert a drain because there was a lot of tissue damage under the skin. So she has a drain under her chin and one behind her ear that comes out in 5 days. She also has sutures all over her neck.
So now she is on antibiotics and rimadyl for pain and ordered to take it easy. She is such a sweetheart. She isn't growley or anything even though we can tell she is hurting (even with the rimadyl I'm sure there is breakthrough pain). I sat down next to her and she just licked my hand on tucked her head in to go to sleep. :cry:

Now we have to figure out what we do with Sookie from here. Jordan is thinking that a home with no other dogs might be best for her but I am skeptical. When you "rehome" a pet you can never guarentee that the next owner will be responsible no matter how well you screen them. Bleh...

The photos below were taken this evening. If you have an easily upset stomach you may not want to view them as there is dried blood and you can see the drain under her chin.

019.jpg

018.jpg

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
oh oh oh....i hope she gets better soon! are you ok? this must be so difficult.:cry:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:cry: Poor Bre and Poor Mama! I am sooo sorry this happend to you! I know seeing your baby in pain and discomfort is hard but she is a tough little cookie and Im sure she will make a quick recovery! :pray: for you and Bre to have strength during this time! Good Luck with everything!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bre will be okay...she really is a tough old gal. I do hate seeing her hurt though...I can tell she feels cruddy.

The sad part will be deciding what to do with Sookie. Jordan has had her since she was a puppy and I think I this is leading up to a tearful goodbye for him. He loves her but he knows that her alpha tendancies are too much for her and for my bullies. Tank knows to stay out of her way but then again she has never had a problem with him...I think it's a female thing!
He said she needs a person who can exercise her more too...and I totally agree with that part. She's a malamute/husky and needs to get out there and have a good run at least daily. Ever since he got sick he hadn't been able to tend to her as much and I didn't have the extra time either because I had to work extra to hold down the household monetary-wise.
It's a bummer though...

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Bre will be okay...she really is a tough old gal. I do hate seeing her hurt though...I can tell she feels cruddy.

The sad part will be deciding what to do with Sookie. Jordan has had her since she was a puppy and I think I this is leading up to a tearful goodbye for him. He loves her but he knows that her alpha tendancies are too much for her and for my bullies. Tank knows to stay out of her way but then again she has never had a problem with him...I think it's a female thing!
He said she needs a person who can exercise her more too...and I totally agree with that part. She's a malamute/husky and needs to get out there and have a good run at least daily. Ever since he got sick he hadn't been able to tend to her as much and I didn't have the extra time either because I had to work extra to hold down the household monetary-wise.
It's a bummer though...

I know this is going to be hard on you all! I hope all goes well and everything works out for you and your family! You all did everything that you could but sometimes when a dog wants alpha with other dogs in the home it does become an issue and Im so sorry it happend to you! I pray everyday that I never have a problem but you never know...We train and expect certain behaivor but sometimes things happen! I just hope everything gets better for you both and all works out well! :hug:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Oooohhh, So sorry for that incident you had to go through, thank god nothing was life threating. Hope she is doing ok and gets through quickly.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Nigel had a drain tube after he and my sons rottie got in a tangle. They hate each other to this day. Dominant dogs- Yeesh!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor Bre. That was difficult to watch even for me. Hang in there.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear, it hurts to see poor Bre in that state. I don't know what to say about the other pet...that makes me sad too!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I am so sorry you and Bre have had to go through this! You have had so much to deal with lately! I will be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery. Just remember "this, too, shall pass."

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my hon that is so sad. im glad it was not worse for bre shes had such a hard time but one thing about dogs is they recover very well and adapt so she will be fine. just hard watching them hurt i know. as far as the other dog its sad when things like this happen and you have a tough decision for sure. i was faced with giving sarah up when she put my boston who is at the bridge now in the er hospital for the weekend. i told her she was going to have to go and gave her this long speech as i was crying. well she was not an angel after that but she was good enough we could keep her. i am praying for your family in whatever you decide to do. :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh my goodness, poor Bre!!! I missed what happened, so sorry! Wow that has to be a very hard decision. A better one for Sookie though. I had friends that had the same type of dog, except she was a sweetie pie. They rehomed her a year or so ago and I was disappointed at first in them. It wasn't until later did I understand that it was really the best for their dog - they just didn't give him the time he needed. I had the a similar problem with Ace (my snugglebun) toward his end before we led him to peace to Rainbow Bridge. He did not like Jack and all and would only tolerate him for moments at a time. Most the time I always had to be on guard because he was going after him and not in a good way. It was horrible to watch. We made the BEST decision for him as will you two for Sookie! My heart goes out to you all and Bre. :hug: :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my dear, bulldogs are so tough and heal so quickly, I am sure that she will be like new in just a day or two. I understand how you feel and you must do what is right for your dogs and your family.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor Bre...it looks so painful. Though I am sure some extra cuddles will go a long way to help her heal and get back to her old self! I am so sorry your family is having to go through some tough decision making. And hugs to Bre and hoping she gets better quickly.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im so sorry to hear this about Bre. Its never an easy decision to rehome. It killed me to have to let Roxy go, but she kept attacking Lola and couldnt be around kids. Hugs to you guys

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online