Mack's Gums Are Growing Over His Bottom Teeth

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this with your older dogs. Our vet. said it is age related and more common in Boxers & Bulldogs. He said it wouldn't be a problem as long as it didn't interfer with his eating. Mack will be 9 June 6th. I will try to get a picture, but he does not like me messing with his mouth.

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
This is the best picture I could get.
th_MacksFrontTeeth001.jpg

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sorry I have no experience with this issue. I imagine if it does become a problem they could remove the excess gum tissue.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:laugh: that picture is funny! He is like heck no! But seriously about the gums my moms boxer is 8 and she does have the same issue as its not necessary right now to have the gum tissue removed. The vet told them as long as there is teeth showing and eating, drinking is good with no swollen or pink gums or discomfort she would be fine! Once it gets worse she will need to have the tissue removed..Good luck with everything He is a handsome fellow

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When Nitschle passed in October he was 7, his teeth were beginning to do this... our vet said the same thing, age/bulldog related

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
BeBe is starting to show signs of this, she is almost 6.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty's teeth have looked like they r shrinking in the gums some. Good to know this is natural cuz I thought I was Trippin. Lol

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
It is called gingival hyperplasia and our baby started getting this around age 4-5. He recently had a much needed dental and the vet kindly shaved a bit of the gum back down on his bottom teeth for him. He owns boxers and does this procedure for them as well, and like you all said, he said this happens a lot with these breeds. Another vet told me the same, if they're eating ok, not to worry. It nice to see Mr. D's baby bottom teeth again, but my vet did say it will most likely grow back in 6 -12 months. I don't think I would want to put him under again to have it fixed if it's just cosmetic, so I will see how it goes. I have to say, I was horrified when I first noticed it and it scared the crap out of me, and took him to a vet right away, lol!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Glad I found this thread. Punk is 9 years 4 months old and I have noticed that her teeth are disappearing also. I thought they were falling out, but it is just like you say, her gums are growing over them. She still eats hard food and acts normal. The vet office said that I can soften her hard food if she appears to have trouble eating.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Glad I found this thread. Punk is 9 years 4 months old and I have noticed that her teeth are disappearing also. I thought they were falling out, but it is just like you say, her gums are growing over them. She still eats hard food and acts normal. The vet office said that I can soften her hard food if she appears to have trouble eating.

Never had a dog with this issue but others will answer you for sure.. btw I just wanted to say congrats on a 9 years young Punk. Also what do you feed him as if you start softening the food the teeth will fall off. Teeth needs to chew to stay strong.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Thanks for the reply. Punk has been on Royal Canin since she was a pup. I have noticed lately that she will sometimes throw up her dinner and the food was not broken up. Like she just swallows it whole instead of breaking it up. Now I know why - she is. I was thinking about making the pieces smaller by breaking them up - that would help Missy out also.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.