Kain has another fever - What the heck??

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Kain woke up this morning with another fever (103.8).

No puking or anything just sounds all flem plugged up, I sprayed some lemon juice to help alleviate that while I proceeded to check his temp etc.

No visual signs that he is sick except he wants to try cough up the flem sounding issue, temp was defiantly warm so I took his temp and confirmed yes he has a fever again.

I'm starting to think walking him before summer is really here is a bad thing? Probably just a co-incidence but damn, this is twice now in 3 weeks.

Vet should be in, in about 20 min's so I'm calling this time for sure instead of monitoring it going down on it's own last time.

Anything I should be aware of with a fever but no visual signs of issues, no loss of appetite (will confirm at lunch time again)...

Thanks again, poor guy hope my walking isn't the cause of this again it was a beautiful day at like 21 C / 69.8 F we set records for the warmest day yesterday. /sigh

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hmm...maybe he has a low grade infection of some kind? Urinary tract or ? Going to the vet is the best choice here!

I wouldn't worry about weather and your bullie UNLESS you are4 talking about heat. Bea and Bo both perform better when it's cool/cold. Bea is shaped just like her partents - she looks like a pig or an interesting fire plug with legs. They both LOVE LOVE LOVE the snow when it comes and I'm hard presssed tomake them come in when I think they've had enough.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If he woke up with the fever, I don't think it's coming from the walk.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think I would get him to a vet, must be an infection of some kind, maybe allergy related.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
** Update ** Vet is an hour away so there was no sense going yet as my appointment isn't until this afternoon. His temp has dropped back down to 101.5 and his personality is back where it should be, he walked around outside checked things out, no coughing or anything unusual, and he's back to driving my yorkie up the wall so he's looking waayyy better.

I'm going to feed him and make sure he has a normal bowl movement but I suspect i'm in the clear again, weird it came and went like that, maybe he had it most of the night, I would be guessing as he is in the kennel downstairs.

99 - 101 is normal temp correct.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
** Update 2 **

Spoke with the vet to be sure that was the right decision and with today being business hrs and tommorow not they would much rather look at him to be sure vs an off hrs call tommorow.

They said a fever doesn't come and go for no reason so it's best to look into it.

Off to the vet 1 hrs out thx again guys.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
** Update 2 **

Spoke with the vet to be sure that was the right decision and with today being business hrs and tommorow not they would much rather look at him to be sure vs an off hrs call tommorow.

They said a fever doesn't come and go for no reason so it's best to look into it.

Hey hope all goes well! Glad you spoke to the vet and are able to get him in today! Its always better to just get a check to be sure ... Hope all goes well

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
patiently waiting for update # 3 :hmm:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
** Update 2 **

i was going to say better take him in and get that checked. hope all is well. waiting on update.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Just got back from the Vet, Whirlwind 4 hrs trip <lol>

Vet checked heart beat, lungs, lymph nodes, stomach for pains, ears for any infection, skin etc etc... she was VERY pleased with how immaculate his ears and cleanleness was, heart beat was good and low to the average and sounded good in the lungs as well. Lymph nodes were normal and not inflamed or anything. Temp just now was 101.3 so 'slightly' high normal but every indication of him while being checked she said you would never know he had a high temperature.

I asked about an antibiotic to try anyway and she said that is not a good idea as it starts to work for the body instead of the body working on it's own building up immunities as well as not knowing the source you could not prescribe and just throw things at it.

All in all she said monitor him as he looked to be over it and keep up the good work.

At least its confirmed and I don't have an issue to be bothered about so that's a good thing.

Oh she did mention his raspyness / mucas sound was a bit more prominante than she would of liked to hear so she said maybe a soft pallet or nose surgery would be a possible concern in the future.

I guess I better get working on that bank account and/or figure out what insurance plan to use here in saskatchewan, canada that would be good before it is an actual problem.

Thanks again everyone... I'm hopeful that this evenings temp is back in the 100 range.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i was so looking for this update. im glad everything is ok. yes a bank account is essential with bullies lol :D

C

Cooper11

I also am not thinking it is walking or weather related. Temp are from our bodies trying to fight an infection or something. He may seem fine other than his fever but they may be something going on in his insides or something. That is a pretty high temp. I wold def call the vet!

C

Cooper11

I just saw your update. I guess I can see why the vet wouldn't be concerned with his temp lowered but I am surprised they didn't even do a blood test pr anything with the temp reaching as high as it does just to make sure his kidneys and other organs are fine! I just find it weird he keeps getting this temp! But I am no vet and your vet is obviously the one with all the schooling and training not I :)

And it was them who said fever don't come and go for no reason....I guess I would want a reason of why he is getting these!

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
This was a vet that shares the record details in another town 1hrs away. She said if it was her dog she wouldn't do the blood test at this point, if I have a 3rd issue I will have to escalate things. Crossing fingers that won't be the case.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.