My pup has a frog in his throat - not literally :)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello all you wonderfully helpful Bully lovers. Id like to get some advice on my 14 week pup. I noticed yesterday a slight rattle when Tank was breathing and today it seems a little more pronounced. Best way to describe it, is he needs to clear his throat. I also noticed him getting strangled when drinking. He doesn't have a temp but seems lethargic. That could be because my son was home with him today and he didn't get his usual beauty sleep. :)

I did use some lemon juice tonight and it seemed to help. He was even was more playful, but later I noticed more rattling.

Does this sound normal or could it be something more serious? He just had his Kennel Cough treatment last week and does go to puppy class, so he has been exposed to other dogs. Could mucus be the beginning of kennel cough? I don't want to be a nervous Nellie but don't want to ignore early signs of something more serious. Your thoughts anyone....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can be normal, but I would be getting him checked out . Even though you get the kennel cough shot - does not mean he won't get it, just lessens the chances of it. Are his ears warm? Can you take a temp?

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The vet cautioned me last week that he was still susceptible to get it, if exposed, since the vaccine would not be effective immediately so I'm a little edgy. Do you know if Kennel Cough has early warning signs? He isn't coughing and doesn't have a fever.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes kennel cough could or couldnt have early signs! Our maltese who came from a pet store had it right away and it sounded similar to what you are describing! Since its possible I would get him to the vet as soon as you can! Its not something you want to wait on! It could be nothing but I would just check to make sure....Is he eating, drinking and playing also if you take a temp that would help too! Let us know how it goes

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
my boys have had it several times due to being around other dogs since i live in a condo. we get them vaccinated every 6 months but as the vet said there are hundreds of strains just like the common cold so there is no guarentee. most times our boys start off with a thick mucus when they sneeze...like a little kid with a cold...they sneeze and it hangs outta their nose. haha..then the cough on ours starts. sounds like they have something caught in their throat. they tend to get lethargic but no fever...that's key no fever. usually a dose of antibiotics...but with kennel cough they are highly contagious...and will be until their cough is totally gone!!!! my vet drills that in our head they cannot be near another dog until that cough is completely gone

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks everyone for the help. Long night with a sick baby:( Went to vet today, not Kennel Cough, but it is a respiratory infection. Hopefully by tomorrow and a couple of doses of antibiotics, my baby will be all better. I broke down last night and attempted to let him sleep in mammas bed, but he was so pitiful neither of us got much sleep. He kept wanting to be so close to me that he literally was laying on my head LoL Love the little guy! So glad I found this site and so is Tank!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad you took him to the vet and he is on his way to improving. Give him a hug from us and hope he feels better tomorrow.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did they give him a shot for the bordatella (kennel cough vaccine) or did they give him the nasal one?

I only ask this because the nasal one can cause URI in bulldogs.

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
They gave him the nasal one, because it is supposed to start protecting quicker. He is certainly feeling better today....just downright ornery and full of himself :) and I have the marks to prove it.

So it's possible that the nasal vaccine could have caused the respiratory infection and the shot is better for bulldogs?

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Did they give him a shot for the bordatella (kennel cough vaccine) or did they give him the nasal one?

I only ask this because the nasal one can cause URI in bulldogs.

Now that you say that, the timing would be about right. He received the nasal treatment last Friday evening and by Tuesday evening he wasn't very playful and by Wednesday night he was pitiful.

Thanks for knowing, and sharing, so much about bullies! I feel so fortunate to have found this site!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor little guy! Emma has a rumble to her breathing and snore (more like a gurgle) but she's had that since we brought her home. Hoping Tank is better soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.