JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
Hey All,

Back with another health issue for our beloved Tilda.

She has had what seems like non-stop issues, from mites to bacterial infections, ear infections, fat lipids, cherry eye, bad allergies, the list goes on. Happily with have tackled the more serious issues and we are now trying to get her to be the best bully she can be (although she is pretty awesome already).

We are currently having issues with her wrinkles they are hairless and seem red and irritated. When we first got her she had bad tear stains but we cleaned those up and never had issues with her wrinkles until the 6 months or so. Since we were dealing with mites and bacteria we didn't concern ourselves too much other then keeping it clean. How much hair is normal in a bullies wrinkles? Eyes and nose rope?

We finally got a handle on the food / allergy issues thanks to this site and she is eating Fromms Beef Frittata and is doing well, doesn't stink hardly itches, but still has lots of eye boogers. Doesn't matter how much we clean her face she always seems to have them and if we don't act immediately they get all crusty and gross. Trying to clean with a warm cloth and mild soap helps but they still get crusty and when we clean hair is constantly coming out on the cloth even when super gentle. We have tried putting baby powder in after after and drying but that doesn't seem to help. How much hair is normal? Best way to clean? How to prevent boogers? Vet doesn't seem to be concerned but it doesn't look right when its missing hair and red and looks irriatated.

Sorry this post is a bit all over the place but she just got over mites and multiple bacteria infections and the last thing i want is another serious problem (already showing signs of fat lipids in one eye). They look worse in person then in the pictures. Those crusties in the last picture showed up within a few hours of cleaning.

IMG-20120314-00061.jpgIMG-20120314-00064.jpgIMG-20120314-00065.jpgIMG-20120314-00066.jpgIMG-20120314-00071.jpg

Last edited:

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
How much are you cleaning her wrinkles and with what? You might be cleaning too much. I clean Bubba with duoxo pads 2x a week. Sometimes put desitin in them after if it looks irritated. Blacks the moisture some too. Bubba has full hair around eyes and in wrinkles. How long have you been on the new food? Others will chime in soon. Could be allergies from the pollen also.

OP
JAMESnJACLYN

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
We tried cleaning from multiple times a day down two once or twice a week but nothing seems to help. As you can see in the pictures in a matter of hours she has smelly crusty patches forming.

We've been on the new food for 5-6 weeks and she is doing amazing, best reaction to food she's ever had in 2 years.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH had serious eye boogers until the vet checked her for dry eye and prescribed optimmune ointment. It has cleared them up nicely. Her eyes just look so much brighter.

Try cleaning her wrinkles with a little witch hazel on a cotton wipe, then dry with a tissue. Another good product for cleaning wrinkles is Malacetic Ultra. If it looks irritated a dab of triple antibiotic ointment can sooth the area too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks was like this too.... Benedryl 2x a day 1mg per pound. she is 60lbs and we give her 50mg a 2x a day. It helps and I also clean her folds with Witch Hazel once / twice a week.

OP
JAMESnJACLYN

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] We have used benedryl in the past when first dealing with allergy issues. Is it ok to give them this for extended periods of time?

C

Cooper11

Hmmm.....Coop didn't start having infections or problems with his wrinkles until he was 6 months also.....but still has only had 2 minor infections. What are you using to clean his face? I recommend MalAcetic you can get the wipes or the liquid and use cotton balls....also witch hazel

C

Cooper11

I also use gold bond powder after I clean his face to keep it dry!

C

Cooper11

I also use gold bond powder after I clean his face to keep it dry!

O wow her nose rope looks very tender and sore...poor baby!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama We have used benedryl in the past when first dealing with allergy issues. Is it ok to give them this for extended periods of time?

Yes, Banks is on it straight for about 6 months May - October

OP
JAMESnJACLYN

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
That's the thing she not in any pain, doesn't mind us touching it or cleaning it, but look terrible.

OP
JAMESnJACLYN

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
@2BullyMama i was just looking at that again, maybe I'm confused. 1mg per pound 2 times a day? she's 40-45 pounds so that like 90mg a day. Which is almost what I take when my seasonal allergies act up and I'm 250 pounds and have a high tolerance for meds.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama i was just looking at that again, maybe I'm confused. 1mg per pound 2 times a day? she's 40-45 pounds so that like 90mg a day. Which is almost what I take when my seasonal allergies act up and I'm 250 pounds and have a high tolerance for meds.

Yep... Banks get 2 25mg pills with breakfast and again with dinner. Never phased her or Nitschke. Start with 25mg 2x a day and see how she does with it

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Seems you got great advice already...I agree with the witch hazel many use it and have great results from it! Hopefully something helps and this goes away!! Hoping for the best

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.