Problem Wrinkles

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It may even be worthwhile getting a blood test for allergies done at the vets ... it's starting to warm up so maybe there are seasonal allergies in there too. OR there could still be something in the beef frittata that she is allergic to.

Those who have done the blood test [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] to mention just a couple have posted on here that their only regret is not getting it done sooner!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
First of all, I want to congratulate you on the BEST documentation I've seen in a long time for a skin problem. That photo of the crusties? Wow. I am really impressed and I'm not being funny either. I really am! THANK YOU. It's easier for the experts around here to help when they can see the problem. I am afraid though, that I am not one of them --- yet --- on this issue. Currently, I'm just battling tear stains - in one eye only on each dog - so maybe it's just winter? Crap. I don't know. But it does drive me NUTS. I wipe daily with a hypoallergenic baby wipe (soft Huggies ones) and use Desitin (baby butt creme) if anything looks red/sore (even if it's really not sore). I am hoping that a future switch in food is going to help.

Awesome that Fromm is working so well for your baby!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I was under the impression that red tear stains was a form of red yeast? Not 100% on that, the vet has the final say.

FWIW, I clean Dozer's wrinkles every day with Hypo-allergenic grooming wipes and then dry them off with a wash cloth. Then about twice a week I use an Oxy Acne pad from Walgreens to kill the bacteria in them and then use witch hazel and then dry them off with a wash cloth. It seems to be working...goodluck!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have had a problem with Max's wrinkles for a long time. I've medicated him with Benedryl, changed his diet, had Allergy testing done (He is not allergic to anything or any foods) used diaper rash ointment and still have problem wrinkles. I initially used Baby wipes, which are OK, but the wipe that actually HEALED his red, irritated, raw wrinkles was TrizChlor 4 pads. These actually healed the open red, raw skin. I use them daily. I found that his wrinkles can go from good to really bad in less than 24-hrs. So, If I am not on top of it, his wrinkles will get bad again.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
What works great anytime he's gotten red or raw wrinkles, is a slathering of antifungal cream. I actually had a conversation with a pharmacist once because I had monistat in my hand and she advised I go with an antifungal cream that people use for Athlete's foot - the one I have been using with good success is Walgreens brand Clotrimazole, a lot cheaper than Monsitat and within a few days, all redness, soreness is gone. I just slather some into the wrinkle and rub it in. The fact that Mr. D lets me do this easily makes me think it feels good and makes him not sore as well.

On a side note, I had a bad cold once, and my nose was all raw and scaley underneath from blowing it. Vaseline, skin creams, etc were doing nothing. I decided to use some of this cream under my nose, and the icky skin that had been there for weeks cleared up in 2 DAYS!! This is why I haven't ever used diaper cream on him because I don't think it has anything in it for yeast, which is what is making your baby sore.

Good luck!

Editing just to say my vet does not recommend creams for folds. Says to keep very dry and only use malaket wipes and antifungal powder.

Last edited:

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I use Gold Bond powder also when they get nasty. There are other times that they completely clear up on there own.
My Bozzy's wrinkles will be absolutely disgusting one week and then completely clear the next.
We don't change their food or anything. I'm not sure if the time of year has something to do with it or what.
Anyone else have this happen? :unsure:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I use Gold Bond powder also when they get nasty. There are other times that they completely clear up on there own.
My Bozzy's wrinkles will be absolutely disgusting one week and then completely clear the next.
We don't change their food or anything. I'm not sure if the time of year has something to do with it or what.
Anyone else have this happen? :unsure:

Yes! Last summer this happened to Mr. D out of the blue. I am thinking maybe because it was so hot out - took a while to get rid of the stains since he is white - argh, was that aggravating. I hope it doesn't happen this summer. I also tried blow drying him on cool setting once and he hated it so much - I hate how people say make sure the wrinkles are dry - sometimes they just don't get dry no matter how much you wipe after a bath, which is why I will use cornstarch once I think I can't get them any drier but they still seem damp.

ETA: Cornstarch is not recommended either - antifungal powder is better!

Last edited:

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i have said it before and i will say it again...nature's aid!!!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
We tried cleaning from multiple times a day down two once or twice a week but nothing seems to help. As you can see in the pictures in a matter of hours she has smelly crusty patches forming.

We've been on the new food for 5-6 weeks and she is doing amazing, best reaction to food she's ever had in 2 years.

I watched Cooper last weekend and my daughter gave me instructions for him lol... His wrinkles look exactly like your bullies. She cleans them at night with a gauze pads and witch hazel. His eyes don't tear much at night so in the morning she covers the red with desitin. It cleared up by the next day. She does this daily and may skip a day here and there. But desitin did the job! I will see if i have a pic of Cooper on my computer and I will ask my daughter to send me one of his red raw wrinkles.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
562669_408398932515714_100000368316435_1342236_34780178_n.jpg562446_408398895849051_100000368316435_1342234_1259228983_n.jpg533963_433592413329699_1255110136_n.jpg
she had them on facebook :) This is her cooper. I think she took the last one just the other day and you can see if is not red. Desitin has really helped him.
[MENTION=4340]JAMESnJACLYN[/MENTION]

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION]...Those are excellent examples of red raw irritated wrinkles. BabyGirl has had a minor version of that redness in the past. I usually wash them gently and dry and then put Zymox topical ointment (purchased online) but if Desitin gives you good results I'll try that next time. I love that both Gracie and Cooper love to smoosh their faces on the couch.:luv:

Last edited:
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I skimmed through so I'm not sure if anyone posted this already - as for the tear stains, check for beets as an ingredient in your dog's food. Also, switching to filtered water helps - unless your dog's eyes are tearing excessively. Then the issue might not be the tear stains themselves, but finding out why the eyes are tearing so much.

As for problems areas that are NOT near the eyes: our vet recommends a SMALL amount of peroxide. I use this specifically for Oliver's nose rope which (thankfully) is the only area we now have problems with. I put a small amount of peroxide on a cotton ball, clean the fold and then go back and gently dry it with a clean cloth.

Oliver had terrible tear stains and as soon as we switched to giving him filtered water only, they cleared up. (this was recommended by our breeder, whom we trust 1000000%)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.