Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Problem Wrinkles

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESnJACLYN View Post
    @2BullyMama i was just looking at that again, maybe I'm confused. 1mg per pound 2 times a day? she's 40-45 pounds so that like 90mg a day. Which is almost what I take when my seasonal allergies act up and I'm 250 pounds and have a high tolerance for meds.
    Yep... Banks get 2 25mg pills with breakfast and again with dinner. Never phased her or Nitschke. Start with 25mg 2x a day and see how she does with it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda
    Likes (Received)

Perfect we'll try that thanks

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Seems you got great advice already...I agree with the witch hazel many use it and have great results from it! Hopefully something helps and this goes away!! Hoping for the best
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

It may even be worthwhile getting a blood test for allergies done at the vets ... it's starting to warm up so maybe there are seasonal allergies in there too. OR there could still be something in the beef frittata that she is allergic to.

Those who have done the blood test @cowsmom and @KMARINO to mention just a couple have posted on here that their only regret is not getting it done sooner!!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

First of all, I want to congratulate you on the BEST documentation I've seen in a long time for a skin problem. That photo of the crusties? Wow. I am really impressed and I'm not being funny either. I really am! THANK YOU. It's easier for the experts around here to help when they can see the problem. I am afraid though, that I am not one of them --- yet --- on this issue. Currently, I'm just battling tear stains - in one eye only on each dog - so maybe it's just winter? Crap. I don't know. But it does drive me NUTS. I wipe daily with a hypoallergenic baby wipe (soft Huggies ones) and use Desitin (baby butt creme) if anything looks red/sore (even if it's really not sore). I am hoping that a future switch in food is going to help.

Awesome that Fromm is working so well for your baby!

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was under the impression that red tear stains was a form of red yeast? Not 100% on that, the vet has the final say.

FWIW, I clean Dozer's wrinkles every day with Hypo-allergenic grooming wipes and then dry them off with a wash cloth. Then about twice a week I use an Oxy Acne pad from Walgreens to kill the bacteria in them and then use witch hazel and then dry them off with a wash cloth. It seems to be working...goodluck!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I have had a problem with Max's wrinkles for a long time. I've medicated him with Benedryl, changed his diet, had Allergy testing done (He is not allergic to anything or any foods) used diaper rash ointment and still have problem wrinkles. I initially used Baby wipes, which are OK, but the wipe that actually HEALED his red, irritated, raw wrinkles was TrizChlor 4 pads. These actually healed the open red, raw skin. I use them daily. I found that his wrinkles can go from good to really bad in less than 24-hrs. So, If I am not on top of it, his wrinkles will get bad again.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

What works great anytime he's gotten red or raw wrinkles, is a slathering of antifungal cream. I actually had a conversation with a pharmacist once because I had monistat in my hand and she advised I go with an antifungal cream that people use for Athlete's foot - the one I have been using with good success is Walgreens brand Clotrimazole, a lot cheaper than Monsitat and within a few days, all redness, soreness is gone. I just slather some into the wrinkle and rub it in. The fact that Mr. D lets me do this easily makes me think it feels good and makes him not sore as well.

On a side note, I had a bad cold once, and my nose was all raw and scaley underneath from blowing it. Vaseline, skin creams, etc were doing nothing. I decided to use some of this cream under my nose, and the icky skin that had been there for weeks cleared up in 2 DAYS!! This is why I haven't ever used diaper cream on him because I don't think it has anything in it for yeast, which is what is making your baby sore.

Good luck!

Editing just to say my vet does not recommend creams for folds. Says to keep very dry and only use malaket wipes and antifungal powder.
    Last edited by bulliemommi; 05-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

I use Gold Bond powder also when they get nasty. There are other times that they completely clear up on there own.
    My Bozzy's wrinkles will be absolutely disgusting one week and then completely clear the next.
    We don't change their food or anything. I'm not sure if the time of year has something to do with it or what.
    Anyone else have this happen?

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoggie371 View Post
    I use Gold Bond powder also when they get nasty. There are other times that they completely clear up on there own.
    My Bozzy's wrinkles will be absolutely disgusting one week and then completely clear the next.
    We don't change their food or anything. I'm not sure if the time of year has something to do with it or what.
    Anyone else have this happen?
    Yes! Last summer this happened to Mr. D out of the blue. I am thinking maybe because it was so hot out - took a while to get rid of the stains since he is white - argh, was that aggravating. I hope it doesn't happen this summer. I also tried blow drying him on cool setting once and he hated it so much - I hate how people say make sure the wrinkles are dry - sometimes they just don't get dry no matter how much you wipe after a bath, which is why I will use cornstarch once I think I can't get them any drier but they still seem damp.

ETA: Cornstarch is not recommended either - antifungal powder is better!
    Last edited by bulliemommi; 05-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver and Ivy Claire
    Likes (Received)

i have said it before and i will say it again...nature's aid!!!
    "J'embrace mon chien sur la bouche!" (i kiss my dog on the mouth!)--unknown

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ollieivy View Post
    i have said it before and i will say it again...nature's aid!!!
    Nature's aid ...what is that? Have a product description for us newbies??
    Last edited by BrooklynStar; 03-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads