Uni is sick!! What can I do to help?

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Uni has not been feeling and good for a few days now. She has thrown up a few times now, it is mostly just white foam and some kibble. She has also had a few running poos but I know yesterdays morning movement was normal but last nights was not because I had to wipe her bum when she came back in. I can tell she has been under the weather because she didn't want lunch yesterday, although she perked up around dinner time and ate it down. And she didn't want breakfast today. I made her some home made treats a three days ago, I gave her a few. Latter that night she had a running poo. Could she still be sick from the new treat? I was hoping they would be good for her. They had rice flour, apple sauce, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and some garlic powder. I didn't think it would bother her. Is there any thing I should give her to settle her stomach? How long should I wait to go to the vet? I don't want to put it off and have it make things worse. I feel bad cuz I didn't know she had the mange( thought it was sore in her head that she kept re-injuring) and I waited a few weeks to take her to the vet. She has gotten off of the meds for that thou, about two weeks ago. So I guess we are due for something else, right!?!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
When Dozer was throwing up white foam with his food we didnt know what to do either. Because he had no appetite we took him to the vet and he had mild pnemonia. I would just go to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
So sorry to hear Uni is sick. 😰 I hope she gets better soon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Uni? Has this ever happen before?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Several question here: [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] asked two of them...Have you taken temp? Is she spayed? Is her stomach hard?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think if she is not better by tomorrow, I would take her to the vet.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Uni is 10 months old now. This has never happened before, she did once have an organic blockage(a filbert nut shell) but she worked it out after about a week and a half. I took her to the vet then got x-rays and when home with some antibiotics and psyllium husks ( fibber to help regulate). It worked in about two days she passed the nut shell! But this is not like that time, she had ribbon stools and bloody stools. But she seemed fine other than that, energy levels and such. This time around she is a bit lethargic and has skipped some meals now. However she is still eating, just not with the usual eagerness. Like I mention before she has perked up once or twice too, since this started. Right now she is out side looking good and chewing on her bone, so maybe I am being too much of a worry wort.
As for the questions: No, I have not taken temp, but her ears do feel a bit warm. I don't have a thermometer. I guess I should get one, now that I have a baby in the house. She is not yet fixed. And her stomach is not hard but she does make real soft groans when I touch it. She has done that in the past when she has had an upset tummy. It is also not a huge amount of foam or puck but so far she has gotten sick twice and coughed up foam a couple of other times.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Uni is 10 months old now. This has never happened before, she did once have an organic blockage(a filbert nut shell) but she worked it out after about a week and a half. I took her to the vet then got x-rays and when home with some antibiotics and psyllium husks ( fibber to help regulate). It worked in about two days she passed the nut shell! But this is not like that time, she had ribbon stools and bloody stools. But she seemed fine other than that, energy levels and such. This time around she is a bit lethargic and has skipped some meals now. However she is still eating, just not with the usual eagerness. Like I mention before she has perked up once or twice too, since this started. Right now she is out side looking good and chewing on her bone, so maybe I am being too much of a worry wort.
As for the questions: No, I have not taken temp, but her ears do feel a bit warm. I don't have a thermometer. I guess I should get one, now that I have a baby in the house. She is not yet fixed. And her stomach is not hard but she does make real soft groans when I touch it. She has done that in the past when she has had an upset tummy. It is also not a huge amount of foam or puck but so far she has gotten sick twice and coughed up foam a couple of other times.

You can give her Pepcid to see if it helps at all.. give her 10mg about 20-30 mins before she eats. If she still gets sick, take her to the vet. and, try to get a temp

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
We just when for a walk and seems fine now. I don't have any pepsid, I will have to get some. For right now I will just keep an eye on her. I wish I knew what it was that made her sick

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would also suggest the bland diet for a couple of days .... am I right in thinking you made these homemade treats and that's when she got sick???

Also, apart from the home made treats have you changed ANYTHING else about what you feed her on a daily basis.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
give her stomache /bowels a rest and withold food for 24 hours ,just plenty of water ,probably the treats have upset her ,karen

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I would also suggest the bland diet for a couple of days .... am I right in thinking you made these homemade treats and that's when she got sick???

Also, apart from the home made treats have you changed ANYTHING else about what you feed her on a daily basis.
Yeah it all started the night after I gave her the homemade treats, do you really think they could make her not feel good for days? I have not changed any thing else.

She does seem to be doing better, but if she is looking sick in the morning I will make her the bland food. Can? I use brown rice instead of white

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yeah it all started the night after I gave her the homemade treats, do you really think they could make her not feel good for days? I have not changed any thing else.

She does seem to be doing better, but if she is looking sick in the morning I will make her the bland food. Can? I use brown rice instead of white

NO .. not Brown rice because that is harder to digest. it has to be white rice so that it is easier on the stomach!!

As for the treats ... it could be just coincidence or there may be some ingredient that REALLY does not agree with her!!! :down:

How is she this morning????

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. She is doing better this morning, back to normal. IMG_4807[1].jpglaying on the couch.

I think I will wait a few days and try the treats again. I really hope it was not the root of the problem.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.