Can you hear me?

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
As you all know we just got Moe last week and it seems as though he can't hear us. I don't remember Molly ignoring us when we called her. Moe will follow us if he sees us but doesn't turn around when we talk to him. He will be 7 weeks this Wednesday, so am I worried over nothing or is this just his stubborness coming out? If I get on to him I can't tell if he stops because he sees me clap my hands to get his attention or if he is hearing me.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Could be just stubborness but I would get it checked out.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
To test his hearing...wait until he is sleeping. Have a pot and a lid ready. Clang them and see if you startle him. Remember that if he is hard of hearing or can't hear at all, visuals and vibrations are what he normally will be alerted to. So make sure you tread lightly and can sneak up on him. He just may not understand yet.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] that is great advice...I wouldnt have thought of that

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Our dalmatian (RIP) ended up having a ruptured anal gland. We ended up taking him to the ER in another city. The next day...he had no hearing. We were unable to tell if he was pissed and ignoring us or if he was suffering from some sort of hearing loss. Turns out that he was all about visual and vibrations. How long this was going on? We don't know. He could feel the garage door opening and was alerted to us being home. Coming up the stairs he could feel our foot steps...and would be alerted. He wasn't an outdoor dog, so he'd just go out to do his business and come back in. Not until he was medicated and we were trying to wake him by calling to him did we notice that he was having trouble. By this time, he was 10 years old and we knew dalmatians could suffer from hearing difficulties. If we walked across the kitchen and the cupboard...we put off vibrations and he felt it. By having the pot and lid already out, when we knew he was sleeping hard, we banged it. When he made no movement, we knew that he wasn't hearing us. BUT, when I got up to put the pot and lid away????? He was up and interested in what I was doing.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Seems like you got some gread advice already! I agree with testing while sleeping...I dont know much about this and that was a good idea! Hope everything works out and please keep us posted

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
Thanks I will definitely try the pot and lid thing and let you know if it works. He is rambunctious today, not sleeping alot so when he does I will try it then.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I will definitely try the pot and lid thing and let you know if it works. He is rambunctious today, not sleeping alot so when he does I will try it then.

May be even try it when he is not looking ... have it out and ready

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
What about when you feed him? Food ALWAYS gets my bully's attention. If he is in another room and you loudly put food in his bowl, does he notice? My baby seems to have "selective" hearing and will ignore me if he is focusing on something else. I just think it's a guy thing! :) Hopefully that will be the situation with your new baby, too.

OP
mommydanford

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: I tried the pot and lid while he was sleeping and I felt so bad because it scared him and he ran crying. May be that stubbornness coming out already, but we can fix that. Now I know he can hear just fine, must be selective hearing. I don't think it's just a guy thing, you all know we women have selective hearing to. I know I do, I can tune out my hubby, my kids, the tv and the telephone and tune in to just my bullies anytime.:yes:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Update: I tried the pot and lid while he was sleeping and I felt so bad because it scared him and he ran crying. May be that stubbornness coming out already, but we can fix that. Now I know he can hear just fine, must be selective hearing. I don't think it's just a guy thing, you all know we women have selective hearing to. I know I do, I can tune out my hubby, my kids, the tv and the telephone and tune in to just my bullies anytime.:yes:

Huh? Did you say something? :p

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw poor thing but at least you know your working with stubbornness not hearing loss. bullies are famous for being stubborn. sarah will look at me like im crazy when i tell her to do something. makes me so mad :cursing: but hey its all part of a bully

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
To test his hearing...wait until he is sleeping. Have a pot and a lid ready. Clang them and see if you startle him. Remember that if he is hard of hearing or can't hear at all, visuals and vibrations are what he normally will be alerted to. So make sure you tread lightly and can sneak up on him. He just may not understand yet.

And film it like Libra926 would. I wanna see this!! :lmao:

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Poor baby. Well, now you know. I bet it makes you feel better. He's just a little guy, so he still has a lot to learn. Training is so much fun, but so much work. Just remember these guys have very short attention spans and if you do start to train him.....do it in very short spurts. 5 minutes of training, then a long break. That's what I was told by my trainer.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Awesome to hear that he's ok, a little sorry for him but at least you now know.

I concur that training our bullies is a lot of fun. With the right motivation, ahem .... treats, they'll do just about anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online