Does my little Bullie pup have mange????? Pictures inside

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Hello!

I just brought Lilly in for spaying on Friday 3/9/2012. She is about 5 months old. I thought the stitches and area looked a little swollen, so I brought her into the vet clinic tonight to get the area cleaned and inspected by a professional. Everything is fine, but when I was waiting in the waiting room, I noticed a small growth on her head that I have never seen before. Its a pink growth with no hair on it. I did some research and it looks like it could be mange caused by mites!??! They said it could happen when her immune system is weak (she is recovering from surgery). Any advice would be helpful, I am freaking out now! photo.jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (1).jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm thinking a hive?? [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]...[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Without a scrape and test by the vet you can't just assume it's mange. It could simply be a pimple, it could be a scratch, the pictures really don't tell us enough. Ask the vet to check it out when you go in for her next followup check. In the meantime put some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on it.

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
A hive caused by allergies? I feed her Fromm Puppy Gold along with a scoop of Bill Jac (my breeder feeds this to her bulldogs which is why I have since I brought her home).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: I thought I posted on this?? Anyway.... is this 3 pictures of one spot or 3 different spots? I'm thinking beginning of a hotspot.

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Its just one spot.. I am sorry for the confusion... and also, sorry for the bad iphone pictures.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..hives can be caused by allergies! Food or environmental! Hang on...I know we have peeps with experience with mange..in the meantime..you might do a search!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Its just one spot.. I am sorry for the confusion... and also, sorry for the bad iphone pictures.

no worries.... it looks wet/moist with some yellowish puss ? If yes, shave the area and clean it with some Witch Hazel or regular (yellow/gold) Listerine

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Picture 3 shows it the best. It is not moist and doesn't have any puss. It is dry and looks pink. There's no hair on the growth. I am going to bring her into the vet tomorrow morning. Anything I should look out for or ask the vet for a proper diagnosis/treatment?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah it does look like a hotspot. Agree with 2bullymama, and I would also stop feeding the bill Ja

Dang auto correct!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Definitely stop the BilJac. Who knows whats in that stuff.

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
This doesn't look like mange to me... my bullie had mange at 6 months and the spots didn't look as irritated or red as this. The only way to know is a skin scrape but I'd be pretty surprised if a vet did a scrape with only 1 questionable spot.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Picture 3 shows it the best. It is not moist and doesn't have any puss. It is dry and looks pink. There's no hair on the growth. I am going to bring her into the vet tomorrow morning. Anything I should look out for or ask the vet for a proper diagnosis/treatment?

How was the vet visit? Hotspot or something else?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I posted on the other thread but hadnt seen an update! Was just checking in to see how things went and hoping all is well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online