Bubba allergic to new food?

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I decided to try switching the dogs from California natural to Fromm beef frittata. They were in lamb and rice. Doing it very slowly. I gave bubba aittle more last night. 3 handfuls of old food to one handful, or a little more of new food. When I looked at him when I got up today...he had broken out in hives. When this happened before it was from a bra sting. I had to get him a shot before they went away and it took a full day for that to happen. I have him Benedetto ( which I also did the last time and it didnt help much) and within an hour the hives where gone. I didn't give new food this morning. Should I try the new food again? I guess he could have gotten stung when I let them out last night before going to bed? I dunno

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'd probably try the food again, and if he breaks out again, you may be sure if it's the food, we love Benedryl for such occasions. 25 mg. per 25 lb. Griz gets 3 pills

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would try it again too, Vegas lives on Benedryl especially the way our pollen count has been. Have you been watching the news? We have had total 10 out of 10 for the last couple weeks. Let us know if he does this again. Our weather is so out of control right now, my car was covered this morning with pollen. It could just be all the pollen.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed.... I'd try again --

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I'd probably try the food again, and if he breaks out again, you may be sure if it's the food, we love Benedryl for such occasions. 25 mg. per 25 lb. Griz gets 3 pills

Really. Good to know. My vet told me though that 50 mg per dosing was the max! Not true then?

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Hmmm. Not sure what to do. Before last night I only fed h a 1/3 of new food. My gut says its the food, but will try once more ands see. I just hate to take the chance and give him hives again.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake had an immediate reaction to NVI salmon..when I tried to switch. I backed right off..and his symptoms disappeared!

When Jake had his reaction did he break out in hives or was it him that had the red feet? I don't remember

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Really. Good to know. My vet told me though that 50 mg per dosing was the max! Not true then?

Well, Griz is a big big boy @70 lb
We haven't had any Beny's all winter but spring is around the corner and we probably will then

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmm. Not sure what to do. Before last night I only fed h a 1/3 of new food. My gut says its the food, but will try once more ands see. I just hate to take the chance and give him hives again.

If your gut is usually right, go with it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you think its the food i dont think id feed it again. actually id not feed it and see if he gets hives again. if not then its probably the food. and sarah has had about every reaction to a food there is. and yes i give benadryl for hives. ive given sarah up to two and 1/2 to stop a reaction. let us know how it goes.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have much to add as you already got a lot of great advice! I would call the vet and get her in tommorow! If they cant see her maybe you have a animal hospital near you! It could be nothing but b/c she is a pup and not eating it could turn serious if not taken care of! Hope all goes well and please keep us posted

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] Bubba just turned a year in jan. always been on same food. Wanted to try a change because of tear stains. Def the new food reaction. Fed it tonight with hives again! What v
New food to try or go back to the same!?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
@ChanelnBrutus Bubba just turned a year in jan. always been on same food. Wanted to try a change because of tear stains. Def the new food reaction. Fed it tonight with hives again! What v
New food to try or go back to the same!?

Hey my computer is acting up and for some reason I had two different ones up and this post was supposed to be for another thread! I am sooo sorry! lol Ur prob like what the heck the vet its allergies from food! LOL Sorry again!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.