alopecia

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hopefully Vicaroo can shed some light on this. I know what it is but have no experience with it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this but have heard of it. At this time no one knows why this occurs. It is felt to be a hormonal problem disrupting hair follicles. Some say that Melatonin will help with this, I do not know the dosage, but maybe your vet can help. You can by it over the counter.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
With the rescues we use melatonin and that works.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Okay thank you I will have to look for that!.. Were would you get that? Also does he need to see the vet? Is it just seasonal or will he always have it.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Walmart..Im not sure if once he has it he will always have it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... melatonin is what I've heard as well... I do not have experience with it but I know a bully owner that does and he uses that when it flares up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never had it either, but it is very common in older bulldogs and even younger ones. I think maybe [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] has had this too? Not sure. But with so many that have I am sure you will get help very soon!

[MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] is in rescue as well so I bet she knows about it.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Winston first showed signs of Seasonal Flank Alopecia just before his second birthday. Its occurs every year starting around the beginning of spring. For Winston, his hair always grows back in, but his is not always the case for all dogs. This may be determined by how quickly its treated. I do use Melatonin (3mg) and vitamin D3 (before bed time) and it seems to help better than any other meds or supplements I have tried.

http://www.melatek.net/images/Kirks_III_article.pdf

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online