Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: alopecia

I have never had it either, but it is very common in older bulldogs and even younger ones. I think maybe @Fontanafox has had this too? Not sure. But with so many that have I am sure you will get help very soon!

@NikkiSchoolcraft is in rescue as well so I bet she knows about it.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Winston first showed signs of Seasonal Flank Alopecia just before his second birthday. Its occurs every year starting around the beginning of spring. For Winston, his hair always grows back in, but his is not always the case for all dogs. This may be determined by how quickly its treated. I do use Melatonin (3mg) and vitamin D3 (before bed time) and it seems to help better than any other meds or supplements I have tried.

http://www.melatek.net/images/Kirks_III_article.pdf
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Cooper11

this site!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Amazing!! Thank you very much! I will for sure be going to get some.! It's just a shadow on his sides there is not much hair go e so hopfully I can get it in time and he won't lose it all.. This is the first I have seen it on him!.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubba
    Likes (Received)

We have had some alopecia trouble. Bubba's dermatologist recommended 3mg of Melatonin twice a day. The brand recommended is Nature's Bounty and you can buy it at Walgreens. Hope that helps!

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

I just took this picture today. Yes, it must be seasonal alopecia if it looks like this. BabyGirl gets skin supplements that are from her vet but I also give her flaxseed oil capsules. At first all her fur grew back but just this last month it fell out again but this time there is still some longer hairs left in place. I'm assuming it will all grow back in again later as it did last time. Hope this helps.

Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Okay thank you.. I will have to get rocky some stuff see if any helps. I know he has never had it before he does have no hair on his chin and all them bumps but I am not sur what that is and they bleed when he rubs them.. But the lose of hair on his sides is not overly big or noticeable it just lookes like a faded hair spot or what I though with little kids something sticky on him lol

Cooper11

Hey on the brighter side.....less hair to shed!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockybow View Post
    what do I do if my dog has cyclic flank alopecia?!?
    Hello Rockybow - and WELCOME! If you checked the other thread that our fabulous @JAKEISGREAT has supplied, you saw pictures of my little Bea's alopecia. I can tell you this about it:
    1) it's just cosmetic - it doesn't bother Bea at all; itch or anything. It's bothering YOU more than it's bothering your dog, I can assure you.
    2) sunlight is supposed to help - although I didn't see that it altered the size of it any. Bea loved the "sun tanning" she got to do - CLOSELY supervised because bulldogs tend to over heat easily.
    3) it goes away. It's seasonal.
    Just another fabulous thing to deal with, here in the World of English Bulldogs! Bea got regular, moisturizing oatmeal shampoo baths - not because of the alopecia; but because that's just what I do. Maybe it helped with any dryness - if there was any. I don't recall it being troublesome at all.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Okay thank you so much! As long as it will not hurt or bother him!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads