I'm Not Fat - I'm Just Big Boned...?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yesterday's early shift at the Cascade Bulldog Rescue/Rehome booth at the AKC show in Seattle was a blast. Just Bo went with me this time. He is an alumni of the organization and I was excited for my friend Cindy (the Director) to see Bo. She hadn't seen him since he was just a pup. Now I adore her and respect the hell out of this lady and I was eager for her approval. She couldn't believe how big he'd gotten ("He's a monster!") and it was super fun seeing her see him again. Later though, she did say to me, "Bo is fat." My heart sank. If you knew how I obsessed over these dog's meals and worried about keeping them fit, you'd know why I was so bummed. Well, I appreciate her candor and I see this as a challenge! It's spring weight loss time here at casa Vicaroo. Will you share your pup's weight loss stories, please? The how's and what's would be marvelous. Help a sister out!

Here's a shot of them I took for my St Patrick's Day cards:

Bea Bo cropped.jpg

Stats are approximate as they've not been to the vet in a while (yay)

Bea - 48 lbs
Bo - 75 lbs
You cannot see ribs on them outright, but they both have a tapered waist. They are shaped like triangles when you look at them from above. I can feel ribs in there but can't see them at all.

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Everybody calls Oliver fat too and I hate it!!! He weighs 62 pounds and I can still see his waist line. NOW, when my vet calls him fat, then I will do something about it, but until then, Oliver can just say what he always says, "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!"

L

Lucy-licious

I can never remember if the rule of thumb is that you can see definition of the last rib or feel it...but I'm almost sure its to see that last rib. They should be reverse pear shaped with rounded ribcageand a slender waiste.
Both [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] have success stories with weight loss.
hope these help a little. Lucy is 50lb and perfect weight but having said that our Bulldogs are generally bigger built :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ight-how-i-got-mine-lose-10-lbs-3-months.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/bulldog-photos-videos/2948-vegas-stew-anyone.html

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awww..don't be too hard on yourself. Of course we want happy..healthy doggies, but I think sometimes these guys LOOK bigger than they are! The whole " my neck is as wide as my rear" thing!! I know you'll get Bo in a good place..jake is not done yet...so I've got zero words of wisdom!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
hes a great shape,some are just build stockier than some,if he has a waist line and you can feel his ribs then i would ignore any comments ,bulldogs are the only breed that are the same but no 2 look alike lol,karen

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
75 lbs. is up there unless he is longer and taller than normal. Our first Bulldog, Sherman weighed 75, but that was early 80s when Bulldogs were bigger. The thing vets. say over and over is keep their weight down. My boys would eat all day if I let them, on the other side they are always hungry which is why they try to eat grass, doe drops, road apples; they are even hard up enough to try cow pies!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the way I look at it is, if they have a waist and you can feel ribs but can't see them, then they are just right. But that's just me. :)

TwoBullies

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia & Jake
We were told that our year old "Mia" was overweight by our vet at 63lbs. The vet wanted her to get down to around 50lbs so we changed her diet to a healthier dog food (Fromm) and walked her every day for about 30 min. But the biggest help in her diet was our puppy "Jake" wanting to play all the time. She's now down to 56lbs.

So I guess my answer would be to "get a puppy" lol :D

IMG_0929.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Vegas R lost 10lbs I think supplementing with Vegas Stew. If you search it you should find a recipe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks, when two years old, was 70LBs and our vet was not happy. He wanted her below 60lbs.. she is taller than normal so he felt 60 was a good number. We did a few weeks of Green Beans and kibble twice a day and 30 minute walks.... she lost it in now time and for the last 4 yrs has maintained 58-62 lbs.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Can you take a picture of them from above? HRH varies between 40-42 lbs Her vet says this is perfect. At 42 he said don't let her get any bigger.

08-27-11003.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
10 pounds??? Maybe I should start eating Vegas Stew :D

You absolutely can, it's all veggies and stock. Reminds me of the soup diet that was so popular before. Although I have to warn you, it might give you gas. But that's ok, you can blame it on Abby ... or your teenage kid. :p

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea 75 pounds is a bit big but hon summer is coming and i think once you take them out on these trecks like you do it will come off in no time. ive heard what [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said bout using green beans in place of kibble to get the weight off. walking him every day will do it to. dont be hard on yourself i hear sarah is fat all the time. she is a bit on the big side but not bad. least not to me so it happens with this breed. you are a fantastic bully mama and dont stress bout it. :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.