Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has been scratching his right elbow. My question is, is this what a Hot spot is ? and if it is, what is the treatment ..?
It appears this area of his right leg is irritating/itchy, and he is always trying to scratch it with his back leg. Is there any kind of
spray, ointment that can be used to give him some relief from the apparent itching ?
Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hotspots tend to be cause by allergies.... the hair falls out and the areas is very red and filled with puss

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hotspots tend to be cause by allergies.... the hair falls out and the areas is very red and filled with puss

Exactly, and the area looks so red and enflamed it looks like raw meat! Very gooey and pussy, smells like infection.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
be careful it doesnt turn into secondary infection you dont want to end up using antibiotics,clean it well with sterile water,put nappy rash cream on it and pop a tshirt on ,it should go after a couple of days ,once its cleared hopefully it wont come back ,obviously you will need a vet if its infected,annie had these for almost 12 months ,she needed the vet once ,she had antibiotics which i hate using but i followed up with 2 weeks of acidophillus to replace what was lost whilst using the antibiotics,sudocrem always clears annie if she gets a hot spot,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks for the replies. I was totally off with this. It is definitely not a "Hot Spot". If I had taken the time to research it, I would have gotten my answer. In any event,
it is pyoderma/dermatitis, which Max is and was being treated for previously. On his "Elbow" is a scaly patch, round in shape, size of a nikel. He has had these type of patches on his back previously, although those had alot of hair-loss associated with them. There is no hair loss here on his elbow. I'm just trying to find a product I can use to help him with the itching.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks for the replies. I was totally off with this. It is definitely not a "Hot Spot". If I had taken the time to research it, I would have gotten my answer. In any event,
it is pyoderma/dermatitis, which Max is and was being treated for previously. On his "Elbow" is a scaly patch, round in shape, size of a nikel. He has had these type of patches on his back previously, although those had alot of hair-loss associated with them. There is no hair loss here on his elbow. I'm just trying to find a product I can use to help him with the itching.

On my itchy bully Mable, I just used the standard cortisone cream you find in the first aid aisle at the grocery store. Worked great.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.