Sore Tail

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
Not sure why Brandon has a sore tail.. But for some reason he shows signs of a sore tail.. Gave him a bath cause he look like he had some :poo: there... But after the bath trying to dry him off was fun... I looked and didnt see any spots there that maybe raw.. But I noticed today that the kids said he was dragging his butt on the floor .. So Im like :hmm: lost

C

Cooper11

Fire ...he needs his anal glans done! I just had to do Coops too
[MENTION=4397]Firefighter Lilt[/MENTION]
I wold recommend groomer or vet becase anal glands are so bad and stink soooo bad! But that is why he is rubbing his butt on the ground. They have little anal glands (smal little balloon like things) that fill up with some smelly stuff...lol.....A lot of dogs discharge their when they have solid poo....but some just don't do it on their own and you have to get it done!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yup its defintaly the glands! I agree to let the vet or groomer do it b.c it is not pleasant! I couldnt even watch the vet do it b.c I thought I was gonna :barf:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
have you checked that he doesn't have a tail pocket? My Usko didn't have a tail pocket as a small puppy, but his tail grew so that he has one now. We hadn't clean it all the way so it got sore. Your Brandon looks so young that maybe it's not his anal glands yet. It would be better for him to learn how to empty his own anal glands. If you/vet does it every time you really need to do it for the rest of his life.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
usually the anal gland stuff happens with older dogs, or at least that's what my vet told me when ivy had a problem as a puppy. her tail is in a bit of a pocket and the skin underneath got irritated. i had to use theraderm on it, and ever since then she gets bumwipes all the time. she became so used to it in a short amount of time that every time i say 'bumwipe' she turns over and opens her legs!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
may not have dried the tail pocket they are very hard to dry after bathing,annie has a free tail so i didnt pay much attention to it after bathing and it still got infected ,acouple of days using nappy rash cream sorted it ,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Neither of my pup's anal glands have ever been done - because they don't need to be. What vexes them is individual to each:

Bea - very deep tail pocket; requires daily cleaning. I alternate between witch hazel and MalACetic Ultra on a Huggies supersoft hypoallergenic baby wipe.
Bo - no tail pocket but flat tail often "catches" debris. Babywipe cleaning to area right under tail and on underside of tail itself. He loves this so is very cooperative!

My Mable had dry skin issues so her's often "itched" so she got a good baby wipe cleaning and some Bag Balm under there. Today, I'd use Desitin baby rash cream.

During baths, that area gets scrubbed with an antibacterial / antifungal dog shampoo and rinsed WELL.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks did this once and it was an issue with the top of the tail, not under. It had been matted and had a sore... once I cleaned it up she was fine, but now I have to make sure I check the whole tail and not just the pocket

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.