Hip Dysplasia

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Just found out Talulah has hip Dysplasia. Should I let my breeder know about it since she uses her brother for a stud or does that matter?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would definately let the breeder know about something like this. We had let our breeder know about something that hasnt been proved to be genetic just to give them knowledge that it was there! That is something that should be check before breeding I assume but I could be incorrect..Im sure others will chime in soon

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Poor Talulah :( So what does that mean for her?
The breeder would probably be appreciative of the information. I think that's why so many good breeders like to keep in touch...they want to know how those pups turn out.

Good luck with her...I hope the dysplasia doesn't mean anything too uncomfortable for her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would tell the breeder, they need to find out which one is passing this, whether it's the male of female and not breed that bully again. this is why they should have their breeding stock checked for this before breeding. Sorry to hear your bully has this.

OP
rainyruth

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Poor Talulah :( So what does that mean for her?
The breeder would probably be appreciative of the information. I think that's why so many good breeders like to keep in touch...they want to know how those pups turn out.

Good luck with her...I hope the dysplasia doesn't mean anything too uncomfortable for her.

Vet put her on a joint supplement, eventually she'll be on pain pills. He said not to let her gain weight, she's a small dog so that's in her favor.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

If they are a reputable breeder, they would have already tested him for HD prior to using him as a stud. Her brother shouldn't be used for stud at all if he also has HD. But jst because one sibling has it, doesn't mean the other does. Also, just because parents are cleared, doesn't mean their offspring won't have HD.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello, many good comments thus far. You did not say HOW you know your EBD has HD. I hope you will update and give more exact info how was the test, what type of test done? Yes, if indeed your Bullie has HD better to know now. Proper care can provide a long healthy life.Also was stated that just because both parents are clear does not mean the puppies will or will-not have HD. BUT certainly the odds are best for parents that have been OFA certified or pinhip checked against have HD. Good Day

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely let them know .... Banks has it and our vet actually called the breeder to tell them.

OP
rainyruth

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Hello, many good comments thus far. You did not say HOW you know your EBD has HD. I hope you will update and give more exact info how was the test, what type of test done? Yes, if indeed your Bullie has HD better to know now. Proper care can provide a long healthy life.Also was stated that just because both parents are clear does not mean the puppies will or will-not have HD. BUT certainly the odds are best for parents that have been OFA certified or pinhip checked against have HD. Good Day

She was diagnosed by her vet via x ray.

BailyQueen01

Apr 11, 2012
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Baily
Just found this site cause i was looking for info on HD Are bulldog will b one on the 24 i took her today to get surgery on her ACL is torn on both legs,once in there the vet called to tell me that she has HD witch is problably y she has doth ACL torn at such a young pup. So now i have to wait till tomorw to find out what r next step will b after reading what the signs r of it i have relize she was showing sign of it and i didnt no thats what it was. I feel so bad for her and just want her to feel better.:nope:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Just found this site cause i was looking for info on HD Are bulldog will b one on the 24 i took her today to get surgery on her ACL is torn on both legs,once in there the vet called to tell me that she has HD witch is problably y she has doth ACL torn at such a young pup. So now i have to wait till tomorw to find out what r next step will b after reading what the signs r of it i have relize she was showing sign of it and i didnt no thats what it was. I feel so bad for her and just want her to feel better.:nope:

You should start a thread and welcome! There are a lot of owners on this site that have a lot of knowledge...Members might not see this post so if you start your own you will get load of advice

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Our rescue Boz has HD, he actually wouldn't even walk when we got him. He would use his front legs to pull himself around. I would definitely let the breeder know.
Bozzy is on glucosamine and we have to watch his weight very carefully also.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.