Overweight puppy?

TitanAres

Mar 7, 2012
Corpus Christi, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan Ares
I have a 17 week old male who just got weighed a week ago. He weighed in at about 34lbs. I was advised by the breeder to feed him 4x a day on Purina Puppy Pro Plan. The bag advised to feed a puppy at this weight 1 - 1 1/3 cups but didn't state how many times a day. The vet said he is healthy and I have nothing to worry about. I just don't see him weighing 50-55 lb as an full grown adult. His father shown below weighs 70lbs (does not look fat whatsoever, just muscular) and his mother 55lbs. My question is, is he overweight and if so how should I put him on a diet. I also want to change food in time but he seems to be doing fine on Purina.

Titans.Dad.El.Capo.JPG

C

Cooper11

I think he is right on track...my coop will be 7 months on the 13th and he weighs 42 lbs

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as he has a waist and you can barely feel his ribs when you push in on his sides he is fine. You should not easily feel his ribs. He may be big like his sire.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver weighed 36# at 18 weeks and at 15 months he now weighs 62#. Not fat, but very solid and muscular. When the bag says a measurement for feeding, that is how much you feed them spread out over how many times you choose to feed them. My two older bullies (Oliver and his brother Sebastian) get 2 cups a day (one cup in the morning and one cup at night) and their little brother Remy (5 months) gets 3 cups a day, a cup and a half in the morning and a cup and a half in the evening and he weighs about 30 pounds.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
When they are very young, they need to be fed smaller amounts more often. I started out feeding my baby 3 times a day 3/4 cup. He is now 3 months and we are feeding 1 cup morning and night and less than half cup at noon, slowly doing away with midday feeding. If you are concerned about his weight, you could start cutting back on the number of feedings. I am told that by 6 months old, feeding twice a day is enough. Quantity seems to vary with each food. From what I have noticed most dog foods show the total amount per day per weight of dog. My Blue Buffalo brand says no more than 3 cups a day for a dog 21-50 lbs up to 5 months. Hope this helps.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Father doesn't look overweight, but it's hard to tell without feeling his body.

But his parents are both over the breed standard weight, so your pup almost guaranteed will be as well. Doesn't mean he is overweight though! :)

OP
TitanAres

TitanAres

Mar 7, 2012
Corpus Christi, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan Ares
I forgot to mention a few days ago I cut back on his feedings to 3x a day. And i will also cut back on the amount i feed him just to help regulate his weight. Will take your advice [MENTION=4325]Corlando465[/MENTION] and cut back on his meals once he's at 6 months to 2x a day. That sounds about right. Thanks again everybody!!

Haha @Kim for some reason I knew that but I wrote it all wrong. I'm feeding him 1 cup a meal and the bag recommends to feed him 3 cups. Thanks for getting me back on track!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't want to sound contrary but Purina isn't very well thought of for bullies. I wonder if the recommended 3 cups is total per day, not per meal. IF it is per meal Id get rid of it as quick as I could switch. Fromm makes an excellent puppy food and many quality breeders use it even though it cost more. The price is made up for by having to serve a lot less and the end result is a much healthier and happier puppy.
I don't get paid by Fromm, just believe in their products. :)

C

Cooper11

As long as he has a waist and you can barely feel his ribs when you push in on his sides he is fine. You should not easily feel his ribs. He may be big like his sire.
So gracie is 7 months and at 45 lbs.....Cooper is her brother and he is 42...she is solid. Compag body and thick.....you can look at some pics I have in my albums....but we really can't see or feel any of her ribs. You know how they get a little thinner in the stomach the closer you get to the bum. She is all one size.....she just stays thick. Do you think this is just her body type nice thick Compaq body or should we be watching her weight. She pants alot and gets tired and hot quick!

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Darla is 18 weeks and 23.8 lbs. She eats 2 cups food daily. She has a "taper" at her waist. The vet told me that as long as the waist is defined, the dog is not overweight. I also stopped giving a noon feeding about 3 weeks ago, she never seemed to mind the change. I have noticed that as she grows she may seem chubby for a while, then thin out. Children grow the same way, of course some become chubby and do not loose it....I guess dogs are the same. :meeting:Darla 16w.JPG

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So gracie is 7 months and at 45 lbs.....Cooper is her brother and he is 42...she is solid. Compag body and thick.....you can look at some pics I have in my albums....but we really can't see or feel any of her ribs. You know how they get a little thinner in the stomach the closer you get to the bum. She is all one size.....she just stays thick. Do you think this is just her body type nice thick Compaq body or should we be watching her weight. She pants alot and gets tired and hot quick!

Brutus was the same as Cooper and now 2 months later he is 57lbs! He is starting to slow down a lot though but his head still has plenty to go thats gonna be last!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] she sounds fine to me. But if I could see a good pic of her I could tell better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.