smells

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Ever since Abby was diagnosed I am constantly on the lookout for ammonia smells. I smell that poor girl at least 50 times a day. They told me one of the signs of end stage kidney failure is an ammonia smell on the breath and thank God I'm not smelling that. But she does smell funny. Not her breath, her body.

I'm wondering if it's the food she is eating. She gets 95% of her protein from bean and vegetable sources (the other 5% being from the 4oz of prescription food I mix into it every day - 1oz per feeding)

Could the vegetables be where the smell is coming from? I called her doctor and she said as long as it isn't ammonia I shouldn't worry. But this girl stinks! I gave her a bath just last night and this morning she is smells again.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would think it could possibly be the food.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Is it her breath or her skin?

Hmm.. You could try pureeing/grinding her veggies. I have read a lot that dogs have a hard time digesting veggies unless the cell membrane is exposed for them, which is why carrots come out whole on the other end. So anyway her body may be expressing the stuff she cannot biologically digest (without help) through her breath and skin. Try it for a week or two, if it shows no difference then no harm done.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I puree her food. This week she is eating the sweet potato/broccoli mix that I posted in the recipe section. I only leave a few chunks because she likes to play with those but most of it is mushy.

Her breath is fine (well, as fine as a dogs breath can be lol). It's her body that stinks. `

[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION] I really hope that's all it is. I'm wondering if I should put her on fulltime prescription food for a couple of days to see if it goes away.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I would try the prescription food full time to see if that makes a difference! We're hoping Abby is a miracle dog and has a long life!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Does she smell like cornchips or fish? Cornchips is the bully smell. She is probably secreeting lost oils from her bath. Fishy is more of possible yeast or bacteria.

I know, my comparisons are ridiculous! But that is the smells I compare them to....

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know the cornchip smell. :)

After cornchips, Stig eventually smells like pineapple ... that's when I know that a bath is due. :lmao:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
corn chips? lol I don't remember remember what those smell like.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I always thought corn chips smelled like the stinky gym lockers at my high school, or in other words "stinky feet." Sorry to those who like Fritos corn chips.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Ha! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] My friend asked us if Chunk's feet smell like corn chips because her two dogs' do (they are a mix breed) and we does laughing but it's true! It's been a running joke with us! Love that we aren't the only ones who drew this comparison. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I always thought corn chips smelled like the stinky gym lockers at my high school, or in other words "stinky feet." Sorry to those who like Fritos corn chips.

You know, when I was trying to describe the smell all I could think of was gym socks. But I didn't want to use those words because I was afraid you'd all think I wasn't taking care of her lol

L

Lucy-licious

You know, when I was trying to describe the smell all I could think of was gym socks. But I didn't want to use those words because I was afraid you'd all think I wasn't taking care of her lol

Not looking after her!!! don't be silly, we know you love her and are doing your upmost to ensure she has a happy life :hug:
This is how we learn from eachother, we would never think bad of any member asking for help and advise because by doing so you are doing whats best.

and whilst I'm here I'm thinking new photos are a must, your little girl must be getting big, how much does she weigh now? Is she still gaining a little weight since the new food?

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
She's gained 2 pounds :)

I will put up some new pictures this weekend. I even have a new youtube video that I have to edit. It's of her kicking my sons butt lol

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

I think taco meat smells like sweaty BO when it's cooking.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online