Heart Murmur

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Vet also noticed a small murmur during her last visit, it wasn't noticed on her first two vet visits. He mentioned that it didn't sound like a very pronounced one. Should I be super worried. I read some place a while back that you can sometimes get a bit of a murmer between the ages of 4-6 months, but they tend to outgrow it unless it's of a very high grade. Comments, opinions and personal experiences defintiely welcome.

Thanks guys....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My sweet Mabeline Fabulash ("Mable") had heart issues. Her first vet "thought she heard" a heart murmur - but the woman was such a nightmare, I completely discarded her comments. I am grateful that I did. I learned five years later that I wouldn't have been able to do a thing about it anyway. Not a thing. Mable's heart issue was a congenital failure and would have been inoperable even if I could find a surgeon to do the work. (I think there's one in Oregon...?) There's medication if bigger problems occur, of course and Mable was on those for a time. She was THE BEST DOG in the universe.

And yes, if it's slight as your vet has suggested, she'll grow out of it! Good food, sunshine and exercise - plus all your good energy.... it's nothing to worry about now.

My suggestion? Just watch it (every time she has a check up, be sure the vet listens closely) and otherwise forget about it and enjoy your baby. Don't feel sad about it. Don't worry about it. It will rob you of today's joy.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. I intend to enjoy every day of her mischief. I do feed her top of the line food, fresh veggies and fruits...I think my pets eat better than I do actually. I figured it can't be that bad seeing as it wasn't heard the first two visits.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My Shepard mix Roxy has a heart murmur. She's had it for years and years. She is almost 14 now and it hasn't bothered her a bit. I take her to the vet every 6 months to get it checked and it hasn't gotten any better or any worse.

The only thing it has affected was her ability to have a surgery for an
aural hematoma
last year. It
was really swollen and painful. The vet said the normal course of treatment was surgery to drain the ear and staple it up to keep its shape, but with her heart murmur he would rather not do the surgery. If it had been a life threatening thing he absolutely would have done it, but it would have mainly been for cosmetic reasons and we didn't want to risk it. He gave her antibiotics and pain killers and she is fine. Her left ear is cauliflowered now but I think it adds character! :)

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]..I am hoping it's all gone or stays very low level as it is now. That way she will be fine and dandy for her spay. We decided to go with the laproscopic procedure, which is twice the cost of the regular spay, that way she is under for a shorter period of time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..thanks.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
During Samson's annual exam last year my vet detected a minor heart murmur, she said there wasn't anything to be concerned with because it was so minor but she'd keep an eye on it. Then several months ago we went in for an emergency (limping on his bad leg, ended up just being a sprain) and I saw a different vet, he told me he couldn't hear a murmur but with the minor ones they can come and go. I've never noticed it affecting him in anyway.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The first two visits neither vets heard it. There are multiple vets on the service and the second was she saw was the owner of the place, who is really good and knowledgeable about bullies. The last visit the third vet, who I also like, was the one that mentioned it. He said it's very minor and we would look at it again during her pre-spay checkup. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be gone.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny has a murmer , I don"t think you have anything to worry about, alot of bullies have them and live a normal life. You would never know Gunny had one. If you have a vet that you can trust take his word for it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.