Stenotic Nares???

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Anyone had any issues/experience with this? For her initial visit the first vet said her nostrils looked a bit tight but we would watch it. When she went for her last set of puppy shots two weekends ago, the other vet mentioned that one side looked kind of small and might be good to have the issue addressed while she was under for her spay. We will continue to watch it and then when we do the pre-spay visit we can look at it again and decide at that point.

So my question is has anyone had to have the laser procedure to help their baby? Do you really think it's necessary?

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
I had it done for gregory when he was fixed. He had the smallest nose holes the vet had ever seen. I t was a little scary after he had stiches in for a week or so but i think it helped in the long run

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My frenchie baby has this. He sounds stuffed up..Vet said they dont fix till around a year unless there are problems. If yours has really small ones I would get done will there for the spay..One surgery instead of two..

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hers are ok if you ask me. I will take a close up pic and post later today when I get home. I was told it would be done with a laser so there is no stitches and everything is cauterized so there is no bleeding and it tends to ease any discomfort. I definitely will have it done when she gets spayed if it comes down to having it done.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke had to have his nostrils widened ... but it was not laser, it was a traditional surgery. It did help him - his snoring was not as loud and he did not get winded as fast when playing.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG Raven snores like a mack truck. She tends to sleep in the dining room, easy placement for the crate and outside visits at night. I am definitely going to have it done for her when it's time for her spay.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
our vet said that one of ivy's nostrils looks a bit stenotic. then when he described the surgery, i got very frightened.:scared: i can tell her breathing is a little different from ollie's, and i know that's why, but she hasn't had any problems and i'm glad i didn't opt for surgery. but that's just me...i am of the "least invasive" school of thought.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4411]ollieivy[/MENTION]..I am a total believer in avoidance of meds and unnecessary things. The laser surgery is not bad. Hopefully she won't need it.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It might be something that you may wish to consider. My Maximus has this problem, stenotic nares, and it does effect his breathing a great deal, plus he is always congested, his nose is always running, and his nares "flare" when he is breathing. The Vet is watching this closely to make sure it doesn't present a greater problem as he gets older (He is currently 2-years old).

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Our vet said the same things when Lola was small. That we'd watch both nostrils. A couple months later, he said the one looked good now and we'd still watch the other. By 6 months when we had her spayed, they were both fine. Wise advice to watch them til they can grow a bit.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2258]korikelly[/MENTION]..I looked at her nostrils today while giving her a bath and they looked a bit larger to me. The first visit the one vet had mentioned that both nostrils looked tight, second visit they mentioned the right side only. So hopefully by the time spay time rolls around both will be fine.

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hopefully! How old is she? They change so much so quickly, I always take the more conservative route and wait.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven will be five months on the 20th. So we have time to see how it progresses.

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My bully, Lucy, just came back from the vet and they recommended surgery for her stenotic nares. Scared the crap out of me when they told me they were recommending surgery when she was 4-5 months; recommended doing the surgery at the same time she was spayed, which I am all for, but it means moving the spaying up a month earlier than recommended. However, the vet said her nostrils were some of the worst she had seen (which didn't make me feel any better!). I'm hesitant to do surgery, but I'm also hesitant to wait if her nose is that bad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online