Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Honestly? I'm not sure I would feed a healthy dog a diet of vegetables alone. I don't really see a reason not to add some meats to the stew. I can tell you that I would absolutely supplement a couple of meals a week with veggies. I have read (and personally seen) too many health benefits not to.
Abby is thriving on her vegetarian diet. We weighed her last night and she is up to 20.8 pounds :happydance: She is active, playful, she has great muscle tone, her legs aren't wobbly anymore, her coat is shiny and soft and there's a sparkle in her eyes that wasn't there when she walked into my house almost 3 months ago. She gets her 100% of her protein from plant sources because she has to. I notice almost immediate physical and behavioral changes in her if I give her meat. Early last week I tried a recipe with rice, carrots and boiled ground beef. Her nutritionist suggested we try a little to see how she tolerates it and I agreed, I like to switch up her meals a little so she doesn't get bored anyway. After the second day I threw it away. She was sluggish, a little bit clumsy and her tremors had started again.

I have a list of excellent plant based proteins that Abby will live on for the rest of her life. I have even begun giving old lady Roxy some of these and I see changes in her too (there are more, but this is the base list I work off of)

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas
Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice
Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard greens, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon

What you feed Cooper is a decision that only you can make. What ANY of us feed our babies is a personal decision because what works for me might not work for you.

Great info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Honestly? I'm not sure I would feed a healthy dog a diet of vegetables alone. I don't really see a reason not to add some meats to the stew. I can tell you that I would absolutely supplement a couple of meals a week with veggies. I have read (and personally seen) too many health benefits not to.
Abby is thriving on her vegetarian diet. We weighed her last night and she is up to 20.8 pounds :happydance: She is active, playful, she has great muscle tone, her legs aren't wobbly anymore, her coat is shiny and soft and there's a sparkle in her eyes that wasn't there when she walked into my house almost 3 months ago. She gets her 100% of her protein from plant sources because she has to. I notice almost immediate physical and behavioral changes in her if I give her meat. Early last week I tried a recipe with rice, carrots and boiled ground beef. Her nutritionist suggested we try a little to see how she tolerates it and I agreed, I like to switch up her meals a little so she doesn't get bored anyway. After the second day I threw it away. She was sluggish, a little bit clumsy and her tremors had started again.

I have a list of excellent plant based proteins that Abby will live on for the rest of her life. I have even begun giving old lady Roxy some of these and I see changes in her too (there are more, but this is the base list I work off of)

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas
Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice
Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard greens, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon

What you feed Cooper is a decision that only you can make. What ANY of us feed our babies is a personal decision because what works for me might not work for you.

This is awesome info.... you are such a great bully mama!

OP
C

Cooper11

And Cooper keeps looking better everyday! :)

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] you can read info here!!!

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] here is the post from [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] suggesting the veggies to me.... I made sweet potatoes, green pepper, red peppers, peas, green beans, boiled and all mushed together!! Coop LOVED it! He is on the Fromm Beef Fritatta now but I am going to try to give him a veggie meal here and there cuz he loves it so much and it doesn't bother his tummy or his :poo: :)

Most Reactions