$200 later....got Coopers results

OP
C

Cooper11

No way Jose! This week I threw the kitchen sink into the pot. Abby is dining on sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red and green peppers, green beans, parsley and red cabbage! (OMG the things I learned about cabbage!!)

Be sure to mix a little olive oil or chicken fat into your mash too. I've been alternating between chicken fat and a 3-6-9 omega blend. It's great for some extra calories and a healthy coat.
:blink: I thought of the olive oil today and then totally didn't get any. I just have veg oil and I don't think I should use that??? Chick fat.....hmmm where do you get that lol. I have tried cabbage yet.....I was excited to get the sweet potatoes today though.....my house is smelling yummy! Coop is laying by the stove lol. I am just going to throw a bunch of stuff in there then! lol

OP
C

Cooper11

Something came to mind so I just wanted to bring it up on the salmon oil. Did you keep it in the fridge? I ask because you'd be surprised how fast it go rancid.

Hopefully he does good on Fromm.

No I didn't put it in the fridge :blink: oops didn't know i was suppose to. I only had it a week before he started getting sick though.....do you think it went bad in a week. Good thing yo say this I am going to throw it away now. My mom wanted me to keep it she was thinking of giving Gracie some but it hasn't been in fridge it has been on top of my fridge...trying to decide to throw it out or not lol....in the trash it goes :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I wouldn't put vegetable oil. I wouldn't even try to guess if it's bad for him or not, I just know that everything I've ever read suggests olive, safflower or 3-6-9 omega oils. I mean, I don't think it would hurt him, but he's been so sick that I don't think I'd risk it.

Chicken fat you make in your own kitchen. You know all that fat you normally pull off off the chicken because it's bad for us people to eat? The skin, the fat pockets etc. If you throw that into a frying pan and cook it down its GREAT for adding extra calories into a sick dogs diet. You can also render it by boiling it like soup.

OP
C

Cooper11

I wouldn't put vegetable oil. I wouldn't even try to guess if it's bad for him or not, I just know that everything I've ever read suggests olive, safflower or 3-6-9 omega oils. I mean, I don't think it would hurt him, but he's been so sick that I don't think I'd risk it.

Chicken fat you make in your own kitchen. You know all that fat you normally pull off off the chicken because it's bad for us people to eat? The skin, the fat pockets etc. If you throw that into a frying pan and cook it down its GREAT for adding extra calories into a sick dogs diet. You can also render it by boiling it like soup.

I actually was just about to get some chicken out and do that. I figured that was what you did! :) Yeah don't worry I won't give him veg oil lol....Here is a pic!

554920_382109571811317_100000368316435_1267380_986723009_n.jpg

His face look a little pink but compared to what his face has been he looks Awesome!!! And his eyes I just can't get over how good they look!
@ChanelnBrutus @Watson @cowsmom @2BullyMama @JAKEISGREAT @Firefighter Lilt @JeannieCO @wheezer @Twice .....shout out to all my homies! lol Sorry I am just in such a better mood today and it is all cuz of how Coop is feeling! Love it!!!

And a Big Shout out to my momma @GRACIE11 sorry ma bout forgot ya! :blink:

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
No I didn't put it in the fridge :blink: oops didn't know i was suppose to. I only had it a week before he started getting sick though.....do you think it went bad in a week. Good thing yo say this I am going to throw it away now. My mom wanted me to keep it she was thinking of giving Gracie some but it hasn't been in fridge it has been on top of my fridge...trying to decide to throw it out or not lol....in the trash it goes :)
It shouldnt have gone bad if it was only opened for a week. It's no different than any other oil, if not used fast enough it goes bad. I had this happen to me because I bought too big of a bottle and didn't get through it in time and I totally forgot it can go rancid. Shelf life is probably two/three months depending on temp in house. You'll Know by smell if it's bad!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I actually was just about to get some chicken out and do that. I figured that was what you did! :) Yeah don't worry I won't give him veg oil lol....Here is a pic!

View attachment 19038

His face look a little pink but compared to what his face has been he looks Awesome!!! And his eyes I just can't get over how good they look!
@ChanelnBrutus @Watson @cowsmom @2BullyMama @JAKEISGREAT @Firefighter Lilt @JeannieCO @wheezer @Twice .....shout out to all my homies! lol Sorry I am just in such a better mod today and it is all cuz of how Coop is feeling! Love it!!!

And a Big Shout out to my momma @GRACIE11 sorry ma bought forgot ya! :blink:

Little man is looking good....

OP
C

Cooper11

It shouldnt have gone bad if it was only opened for a week. It's no different than any other oil, if not used fast enough it goes bad. I had this happen to me because I bought too big of a bottle and didn't get through it in time and I totally forgot it can go rancid. Shelf life is probably two/three months depending on temp in house. You'll Know by smell if it's bad!!!!!

I can only imagine!!! It smells bad anyway!!! :barf:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hmm, that's crazy. I wonder if he actually is allergic to the salmon oil?

I'm with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]. Most vets honestly don't know crap about nutrition and it's REALLY annoying. All of the vets around here are die hard for Science Diet. That isn't even good food. =/ I've had vets tell me certain foods aren't good..like Wellness and Blue Buffalo, when yes, they are. It's ridiculous.

Salmon oil isn't bad for dogs in small amounts. Not sure why she would just blame it on it being "fatty." Delilah eats food with fish in it and it does wonders for her coat.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You are right Cooper, we should have said something sooner about him eating that vet junk.... I just took Molly to a new vet I got a good review about to check him out, not only did he try to sell me stuff I told him I already had, but he failed the million dollar question: What dog food do you recommend?

He told me Science Diet is the leader in quality nutrition and all the other dog foods try to be like them. :eek:

I politely argued but decided to drop it after I let him know I was not agreeing.

He was so sure of himself too, that is what really got to me. :( He said all the expensive food is "fad diets".

HRMPH.

What was I sayin? Oh yes, I am sorry, I did not want to step on your toes, I knew you wanted to wait until his tummy settled. But once a week went by, then two, I had to say something. I am so glad [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] stepped in with some great ideas in the meantime. Heck, you may just decide to cook for him instead of do kibble. Perhaps it all happened the way it did for a reason, it is a good learning experience for all of us!

Glad he is doing so much better so far! As I tell my whole family when they say "Why are you in such a good mood today?" Usually on those days it is because "all of our bullies look wonderful today don't they?" :D It puts a ton of stress on you when they are not doing well. I know it does for me. Almost like a puzzle and you lost the last piece, you just need to find where it went!

Okay done rambling....

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] frustrating how so many vets are set in their ways about nutrition, isn't it? When Delilah was sick they kept wanting her to eat stuff that I thought was complete crap and I wouldn't feed it to her.

OP
C

Cooper11

You are right Cooper, we should have said something sooner about him eating that vet junk.... I just took Molly to a new vet I got a good review about to check him out, not only did he try to sell me stuff I told him I already had, but he failed the million dollar question: What dog food do you recommend?

He told me Science Diet is the leader in quality nutrition and all the other dog foods try to be like them. :eek:

I politely argued but decided to drop it after I let him know I was not agreeing.

He was so sure of himself too, that is what really got to me. :( He said all the expensive food is "fad diets".

HRMPH.

What was I sayin? Oh yes, I am sorry, I did not want to step on your toes, I knew you wanted to wait until his tummy settled. But once a week went by, then two, I had to say something. I am so glad @Twice stepped in with some great ideas in the meantime. Heck, you may just decide to cook for him instead of do kibble. Perhaps it all happened the way it did for a reason, it is a good learning experience for all of us!

Glad he is doing so much better so far! As I tell my whole family when they say "Why are you in such a good mood today?" Usually on those days it is because "all of our bullies look wonderful today don't they?" :D It puts a ton of stress on you when they are not doing well. I know it does for me. Almost like a puzzle and you lost the last piece, you just need to find where it went!

Okay done rambling....

Yes I should have listened to you too! Yo did mention that food was crap but I was hearing that from you and then the vet saying what he thought. This vet actually didn't sell me any food it was from the last one and I bought more from the 1st vet too...... I thought the canned was doing good cause he wasn't throwing up for a few days and I really thought the red face was from allergies outside cuz they would get bad when he went out..... Could still be allergies to outside though. SO if I try fromm and it doesn't go good for him,.....You think he would be fine if I just fed him the veggies then?????? I think he may be allergic to sweet potatoes vuz as I'm bragging I made him some and he loved them.... I even gave him a little extra. There were lots of veggies in it but his face pinked up again.... Not bad but a little. I was using the white potatoes and this is the first time I tried sweet. SO I will give him more tomorrow and see how he looks. He is one hyper dog today. Been doing laps and jumping, tackling my other dog, kinda going psycho :blink: makes me happy he is happy!!!!

I hd my brussells on science diet and I will NEVER use that junk again. He got the runs and bad :fart: from it, so that when I switched to IVET for him and he does really good on it....Cooper not so good. It amazes me that his red face and cysts are better just by simply the food change!!!! I am a believer now. I was getting so frustrated thinking nothing was going to work no food would make him better! So [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] yes thank you thank you thank you! She is awesome and has such a BIG :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Not strictly veggies, he will need a protein source too. Boiled hamburger, eggs, ect.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Honestly? I'm not sure I would feed a healthy dog a diet of vegetables alone. I don't really see a reason not to add some meats to the stew. I can tell you that I would absolutely supplement a couple of meals a week with veggies. I have read (and personally seen) too many health benefits not to.
Abby is thriving on her vegetarian diet. We weighed her last night and she is up to 20.8 pounds :happydance: She is active, playful, she has great muscle tone, her legs aren't wobbly anymore, her coat is shiny and soft and there's a sparkle in her eyes that wasn't there when she walked into my house almost 3 months ago. She gets her 100% of her protein from plant sources because she has to. I notice almost immediate physical and behavioral changes in her if I give her meat. Early last week I tried a recipe with rice, carrots and boiled ground beef. Her nutritionist suggested we try a little to see how she tolerates it and I agreed, I like to switch up her meals a little so she doesn't get bored anyway. After the second day I threw it away. She was sluggish, a little bit clumsy and her tremors had started again.

I have a list of excellent plant based proteins that Abby will live on for the rest of her life. I have even begun giving old lady Roxy some of these and I see changes in her too (there are more, but this is the base list I work off of)

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas
Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice
Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard greens, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon

What you feed Cooper is a decision that only you can make. What ANY of us feed our babies is a personal decision because what works for me might not work for you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.