$200 later....got Coopers results

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm sorry ... but when it comes to nutrition most of these vets are complete idiots. They just believe whatever they are told because they get paid to sell a paticular product!!! Makes me so crazy!! :cursing:

I'd take him off the salmon ... put him on the bland diet ... get everything back to normal and then when you KNOW it is back to normal add in the salmon oil again. Just a little bit .. if there is the slightest sign of illness then don't do it again but if there isn't then it's all fine.

To blame salmon oil because it's too "fatty" is the most ridiculous explanation I've ever heard. Now if the vet had said that it was because there was a possible link to a salmon allergy then that would be more believable.

My daughter wants to be a vet ... she's going to graduate this year and has applied and been accepted into two colleges to do a major in biology. After four years if she is very lucky and very good she will be accepted into a four year program at the Vet School ... I'd like to think that with the experiences she is getting from EBN to us and how we feed our bullies that one day I willl know a vet who values and knows more than wht the colleges fill them with.

**stepping away from soap box **

I agree..... AND I see she SOLD YOU FOOD!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!

OP
C

Cooper11

I agree..... AND I see she SOLD YOU FOOD!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!

Just 2 small cans of that nasty bland prescription stuff.......I didn't use it and I didn't listen to her when she told me not to feed him......I made him beef and rice last night. He didn't throw up last night and hasn't yet this am...but she did give him an antibiotic shot so I am hoping that helped. He is one sleepy boy though! :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Just 2 small cans of that nasty bland prescription stuff.......I didn't use it and I didn't listen to her when she told me not to feed him......I made him beef and rice last night. He didn't throw up last night and hasn't yet this am...but she did give him an antibiotic shot so I am hoping that helped. He is one sleepy boy though! :)

Poor baby........ I'd continue with the bland diet of grd. beef and rice for a few days. Hope he is back to 'normal' soon. :)

OP
C

Cooper11

Poor baby........ I'd continue with the bland diet of grd. beef and rice for a few days. Hope he is back to 'normal' soon. :)
It's okay to do chicken too right????? He isn't going to want to go back to his kibble! He is getting spoiled with this bland diet! He is in heaven!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
It's okay to do chicken too right????? He isn't going to want to go back to his kibble! He is getting spoiled with this bland diet! He is in heaven!

As long as he isn't allergic to chicken. You have something better to do besides cook for your sweetie???? :laugh:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220 also I was wondering if you all start salmon oil at a certain age....he is 7 months...that not too young is it? Or does it matter?

Not sure if there is a minimum age for salmon oil .... Linus has been on it since we got him. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] When did you start feeding Linus and his siblings the salmon oil??

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Once they were on kibble a couple of weeks, so probably around 7 weeks. But I only put a half a squirt in, they are so little! I don't get to the full pump until about 16 weeks, then the 2 pumps at adult.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Well thank goodness its pretty positve news anyway! We'll keep our fingers crossed for Cooper. I hear ya on the money part, I think I paid my vets Mercedes payment this month!:cursing:

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Great news congrats..
I give our pug and Bongop Salmon Oil and i've seen no adverse reactions. I started because i was told for our black pug louie it was good for their skin and coat we were seeing flakes. It seems to be going great if flaxseed does the sames and is easier to digest what is the differance between the 2?

OP
C

Cooper11

Well thank goodness its pretty positve news anyway! We'll keep our fingers crossed for Cooper. I hear ya on the money part, I think I paid my vets Mercedes payment this month!:cursing:

Yeah not so great Coop still throwing up.....I just started feeding mushed up fresh veggies as [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] suggested! Thank hun! He has been keeping them down and seems to be doing good. I hope I get my fromm tomorrow or the next so I can start that and see if he will keep it down. I know he misses his kibble!!!

[MENTION=4518]Fbjdd[/MENTION] Yeah I think I am going to skip the salmon oil from now on. He has such bad gas with it n then we started the throwing up about a week after I started it. I'm not saying I agree with the one vet that the salmon oil is the cause of the sickness but I am sure with the amount of gas he got from it...his belly couldn't be feeling that awesome! He doesn't have skin issues yet and I hope we avoid that all together. Also we are getting the cysts in the toes!!! UGH!!! I think almost every toe has one! :(

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thank You everyone who has been helping the last few days with Cooper throwing up
Vet did x rays and blood test today. Xrays came back just fine but blood test she said was odd.
His white blood cells were normal but his lymfocyten was high and his Phosphorus was high also.
She is blaming it on the salmon oil. He got a shot of antibiotics, and another shot of something I can't remember.
Gave me canned bland food,, gave me metronidazole and Sucralfate ....and also synacore powder to put in his food.. She said it is an infection in his tummy and not to feed him tonight...but I am not sure if I am going to listen to the not eat tonight. She said give his tummy a break but he hasn't thrown up today after he ate anyway. and he is going to be starving!!! We will see......hopefully this stuff works.

High lymphocytes indicate an infection, the salmon oil wouldn't cause that.
High phosphorous level ignited my kidney paranoia. Did she tell you how high?

edit...
Not suggesting kidney damage in Coop. I should have said that, sorry, I just woke up from a much needed nap (not feeling so hot today). High phosphorous can affect the calcium level in his bones. If it is too high she should have given you a binder or told you to crush up some egg shells or something

OP
C

Cooper11

I wrote it at the biggning of this post but I don't think I wrote the numbers down. And what you just said was exactly what they told me with using the salmon oil but you are the first person one on here that said the salmon oil could cause that! Every one else said they never heard of it. His Phosphorous level was off and another one was off....I got antibiotics and other meds for tummy and that when he stopped throwing up for a few days and then started again. I had new blood work done for him by my new vet and he said thos came back normal....said phosphorus was a little higher than normal but that is common in puppies and he had been sick so....... Glad to hear you say this. I wasn't going to give him the salmon oil anymore because I didn't think his body was meshing well with it. Between the horrible :fart: and the :barf: once I stopped the salmon oil the :fart: stopped! :) Vet said cuz of the fatty oils or something that is in the salmon oil! I just got off phone with vet told him you recommended the veggies and that I was waiting for new dog food and once I get that we will go from there if more testing is needed! :)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

OP
C

Cooper11

Glad to hear Cooper is on the mend!

And I know what you are saying..... I was worried about kidneys or liver too but they they were fine. But with him still throwing up the way he has makes me really wonder....... after what happened with your baby! We will see though!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.