Montreal Vet Recommendations?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I was wondering if [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] or anyone else in Montreal has a veterinarian that they would recommend for bulldogs. The vet we have been using seems pretty clueless sometimes, and as Rook gets older I'd like to have someone who could provide us with more knowledgeable care.
Thanks!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=3735]LaurenA[/MENTION] If you go to your bulldogs health forum there is a sticky for vet recomendations by area! It gave me 5-6 english bulldog vets in my area! while waiting for other people to get back to you check it out! IT has a lot of great vets! HOpe this helps!

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
I use Hopital Veterinaire Duvernay. They have a great staff and also, my girlfriend works there as a vet tech. They have always been effective in helping us. Always. What is your issue with Rook, I'd love to help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can also look at the vet recommendation list on the health forum page

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Maybe I'm just being a dummy and scrolling too fast through the vet recommendations on the health forum but I didn't see any for Montreal... only 2 for vets in Ontario... and as much as I love heading to the English speaking provinces I'd like to have a vet closer to home. :)

[MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] thanks for the recommendation! We are in the plateau without a car, but we have been looking into signing up for the communauto car sharing service so this might be what gets us to actually do it if we can get to a good vet. Thankfully, we haven't had any major issues with Rook yet but while I was at our vet's yesterday to have his stitches out after neutering I had them look at his eye again because it's been really watery and i was thinking it might be a sign of entropion. This lead into a discussion where I was told that all bulldogs must have surgery to correct elongated palates (not some, not most, but ALL bulldog... that didn't sound quite right to me) followed by a lecture of, bulldogs are cute but they should not be bred because of all the potential health problems. I've only been in Montreal since July and am taking French lessons, the vet's english is better than my french, but I'm not sure if this was a misunderstanding and something was getting lost in translation. I would really just love to have someone that wants to work with me on keeping my pup healthy and not make me feel bad for our breed choice. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maybe I'm just being a dummy and scrolling too fast through the vet recommendations on the health forum but I didn't see any for Montreal... only 2 for vets in Ontario... and as much as I love heading to the English speaking provinces I'd like to have a vet closer to home. :) @BiggieSmalls thanks for the recommendation! We are in the plateau without a car, but we have been looking into signing up for the communauto car sharing service so this might be what gets us to actually do it if we can get to a good vet. Thankfully, we haven't had any major issues with Rook yet but while I was at our vet's yesterday to have his stitches out after neutering I had them look at his eye again because it's been really watery and i was thinking it might be a sign of entropion. This lead into a discussion where I was told that all bulldogs must have surgery to correct elongated palates (not some, not most, but ALL bulldog... that didn't sound quite right to me) followed by a lecture of, bulldogs are cute but they should not be bred because of all the potential health problems. I've only been in Montreal since July and am taking French lessons, the vet's english is better than my french, but I'm not sure if this was a misunderstanding and something was getting lost in translation. I would really just love to have someone that wants to work with me on keeping my pup healthy and not make me feel bad for our breed choice. :(

WOW -- that is really unprofessional. If the vet has that opinion, you as an owner/client do not need to hear it from them. Definitely get yourself a new vet as this one will not be doing anything in the best interest of Rook. Not EVERY bully needs any of the common surgical issues -- Banks is 6 years old still has no signs of pallet issues.

David Mauricio

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi Lauren,
I was hoping to find out if you had any luck findings a good bulldog vet in Montreal. We may be moving soon over there and we also plan on living in the Plateau neighborhood.
Thank you!
-DMT

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.