JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson just started with his feet too the other day. He chewed himself a bit raw in one spot. I put him in him in the tub and washed his feet, then dried them, used some witch hazel and some cornstarch. That was three days ago and he's left his feet alone. He has grass allergies. That seemed to work so well I'll clean them that way more often.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION]....we have used this stuff on our fosters with bad paw pads...it's called "Protecta-Pad". It's a cream that comes in a little jar. You just rub it on their pads and it softens them up in no time. It smells minty too which I love. Unfortuantly it won't help with the itching though.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Warm water and epsom salt.... also wipe their paws when they come in from being outside.

No feet lickin' here....must be because the yard is a MUDDY DISASTER and I have to wipe their feet realllllyyyy welllll upon entry.
A side benefit? :lol:

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]
Thanks I'm going to try and add the cornstarch.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO
Thanks I'm going to try and add the cornstarch.
You're welcome! He has the same problem with his feet last year, especially after the grass was mowed. I would clean them off with a rag but never did it like I did the other day (just didn't know what I know now). I used a little baby shampoo do on the wash cloth and then had a cup to fill with water to get it all off. Total time was like 5 minutes. :up: He's still leaving his feet alone. Might just do that for him once a week.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Wilson just started with his feet too the other day. He chewed himself a bit raw in one spot. I put him in him in the tub and washed his feet, then dried them, used some witch hazel and some cornstarch. That was three days ago and he's left his feet alone. He has grass allergies. That seemed to work so well I'll clean them that way more often.

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], never thought of corn starch, I do use the witch hazel but he just licks that off, I will have to try some of that tonight. I have Gold Bond medicated foot powder, I was thinking of using that??????

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO , never thought of corn starch, I do use the witch hazel but he just licks that off, I will have to try some of that tonight. I have Gold Bond medicated foot powder, I was thinking of using that??????
It really helped dry his pads. I used it on the bottom too. His once foot was so red.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think that Raven might have some grass allergies a well. Once we go outside for her to go potty she tends to start itching a bit on her face and ears. Praying this doesn't get worse as spring kicks into gear and the grass starts growing.

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hi all, interesting thread. I was just signing on to ask a question about this. We noticed a couple weeks ago that Wally was really licking one of his paws (maybe both) and then last week he developed and intermittent limp. We took him to the vet and she told us she couldn't find anything wrong with his leg so it was probably his paw. Could the licking and the limp be related? She suggested we soak his feed in warm water in case he has a splinter that is under the pad or something.
Any thoughts?
Thanks as always for everyone's help!

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
@pdac1974
Usually the obsessive licking is because their feet are itchy or they might have some kind of sore... I would think if it's causing a limp than there should be a sore...I would double-check the paws, vet might have missed something... In the mean time it can't hurt to keep those paws extra clean, in case of a wound (wouldn't want it to turn into an infection)...try the Epsom salts soak and dry those paws really well...keep us posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.