Light, loose stools

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Mr. D started a food change Thursday, half (i know i know) his Iams and half the Natural Balance lamb and rice. He was ok for a day or so, then his poop got loose and was a rich brown by Friday night. Today it's still loose and look much lighter than I've seen his poop, which is usually dark brown, firm pieces. He just started a strong antibiotic yesterday and has had 2 doses of it, and I also gave him a tablespoon of plain yogurt the last two feedings. Should I try pumpkin with his food tomorrow? It's not watery, but loose, and there's a bit (not bad) coming off on the baby wipes I use on his tail after he poops. He had a feca done yesterday that was fine, so I know it must be what he's ingesting.
Any advice for now? I won't have his allergy panel back for almost 2 weeks.
Thanks so much!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is the antibiotic --- it causes loose :poo: give a little canned pumpkin to help firm it up

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks 2bullymama -my cat had diarrhea a few days in a row 2 weeks ago and I got him canned pumpkim, (first time trying it and one serving and he was back to normal!) I have heard it's not always easy to find so I bought 2 cans. I had the remainder of the first can in tupperware in the fridge but threw it out after a few days - wasn't sure how long it would last and since we didn't need it anymore, I chucked it. So I am glad I got that 2nd can. I will try tomorrow, and thanks again!
Would you advise 2 or 3 tablespoons for an almost 80 lb doggie?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hopefully it is just an adjustment to the new food, but there have been several threads lately about Natural Balance changing its formula and actually making animals sick. Symptons include diarrhea. I don't want to worry you, but did want to you know so you could further investigate.

C

Cooper11

Thanks 2bullymama -my cat had diarrhea a few days in a row 2 weeks ago and I got him canned pumpkim, (first time trying it and one serving and he was back to normal!) I have heard it's not always easy to find so I bought 2 cans. I had the remainder of the first can in tupperware in the fridge but threw it out after a few days - wasn't sure how long it would last and since we didn't need it anymore, I chucked it. So I am glad I got that 2nd can. I will try tomorrow, and thanks again!
gotta remember the @ sign
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] she will know how much! :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
i kni w simeone who freezes the keftiver pumpkin so that it'll ladt longer. she uses ice cube trays so whenever she needs some she easily can get a good oortion of it. oh, pls excuse the spelling mistakes ... using my tablet. :

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

They do not need a lot..... one tablespoon with each meal -- if he does not look to be firming up, then add a little more. Once you see the poo is firm -- stop giving it as you do not want his system to get accustom to it

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, he has since firmed up after last night's poop, and today is back on the Iams and no poops yet, that I saw anyways...I hope he isn't constipated now, sigh.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well antibiotics will give soft poop so adding a food change to and its prolly what it is. i wouldnt worry about not pooping unless it continues. if he is constipated then thats the beauty of pumpkin it works both ways. let us know how its going.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online