RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't want to scare you, but there is a slight chance that he has a blockage in his bowel. Is he pooping? Is his tummy hard? If he is not pooping and his tummy is hard he need to see the vet. Paraffin oil is usually given to dissolve the blockages, but if it's severe it need to be operated. Just adding more food should not cause any of the symptoms he is having.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
i would take him to the vet because of the high temp. especially since he's still a pup. may be the cause of him not being able to keep down food.
please keep us updated on what he says.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Update : The shaking stopped around noon or so and his temp dropped to 102.4

Every indication that he is normal appears to be back except the extra desire to cuddle and going pee as soon as we put him down instead of the good luck we have had potty training so far.

I did a "small" amount of tricks with him to see if he had the ambition to do that and he did great and responded well. I also gave him about 1/8 cup for dinner and he ate really good as well, he went poop but only had 2 little balls but keeping in mind he pooped once this morning, once around 11am and threw up his breakfast so there really wasn't anything in his system I imagine.

I will continue as normal watching for things that aren't normal, give him his supper tonight and hope for a full bowl movement again this evening.

If things are not right we will be getting him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Temp is now 100.9

Do you think eating too fast causing him to throw up would cause him to be scared and temp rise? That is all that it appears to be so far.

Should be noted he had a habit of inhaling his food as a pup so we dampen his food, I'm going to work on slower eating habits.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
neither eating too fast or being scared can make temp rise to fever.

C

Cooper11

You def need to take him to the vet he may have gotten into something. Giving him more food would not make him sick! Is he eating it too fast. My Cooper has been throwing up for 2 days and I think I finally figured it out...he needs a slow feed bowl, he is inhaling his food so he eats and then throws it right up. For you the throwing up doesn't bother me as much as the shaking??? That is NOT normal! And the high temp....temps usually mean infections his body is trying to fight something! You should take him in or at least call you vet!
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION]

C

Cooper11

Today I put one of Cooper's toy tennis balls in his food dish so he had to work a little to eat his food and it worked! try that if you have any kind of ball big enough that he can't pt in his mouth...that cold be causing the throwing up. The temp and shaking still scares me though!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's why I'm so damn confused... some people are saying 3 or 4 cups etc,

Still though going from 1/3 cup 3 times a day is only 1 cup total. I changed to 1/2 cup for 1 1/2 cups total only one day so far. Can 1/2 cup of food cause that much issue in one day?

I'm definatly going back to the 1 cup, the shaking has calmed down but he is still showing signs of being extra mellow.

Will keep an eye on him, he drank really good a 2nd time now.

No, the food increase I believe is coincidence, the temperature is what concerns me.

Since I always have pups around and adults, here is where I am with portions, using Fromm mind you, each food is different. Also I like to keep my kids on a very strict diet so they do not get chubby, but I don't want them to look thin either!

8 weeks: 1/2 c 3 times a day of Fromm puppy
12 weeks: 1 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm puppy
16 weeks: 1.5 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm ALS
1 year: 1 1/4 c twice a day Fromm ALS
2 years: 1 c twice a day Fromm ALS

I wanted to point this out so you can see that during the growing phase I do give more. Puppies are much more active than adults and burn protein and energy much more. Once they turn two the laziness usually comes, so that is when you can see a decrease in the amount given.

This is just what I do, and what works to keep everyone from getting overweight. Couple of bullies I give a tad more than 1 cup because they are still pretty active. Mandy I give a tad less and add some frozen veggies, otherwise she will get fat, even though she is probably the most active of the bunch. Go figure!

Temp is likely one of two things.... dehydration or infection. If you are not going to the vet just yet, I would be checking it every hour to make sure it does not rise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Kain --- temp back to normal?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
b0c6f83a.jpg

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
So far supper is sitting well, just the normal 1/3 cup portion and he has pep in his step again. Waiting for an evening bowel movement but things look ALOT better as he has had no scared shaking feelings for about the last 6 hrs or more.

Last temp was 100.8 but we had a 100.4 also earlier so slightly higher than best we seen yet.

I'm a lot happier now that his actions are back to normal compared to earlier, very weird indeed.

I'm assuming temp is still a bit high hey?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So far supper is sitting well, just the normal 1/3 cup portion and he has pep in his step again. Waiting for an evening bowel movement but things look ALOT better as he has had no scared shaking feelings for about the last 6 hrs or more. Last temp was 100.8 but we had a 100.4 also earlier so slightly higher than best we seen yet. I'm a lot happier now that his actions are back to normal compared to earlier, very weird indeed. I'm assuming temp is still a bit high hey?

Good to hear he is doing better and I think the temp of 100 is in the normal rage

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I wanted to say thank you all, I'm sure your aware already but it means a lot to bounce ideas off people that know when things aren't quite right.

He had a bowel movement also and is running after his toys again so whatever it was came and went looks like it.

/thank god

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
No, the food increase I believe is coincidence, the temperature is what concerns me.

Since I always have pups around and adults, here is where I am with portions, using Fromm mind you, each food is different. Also I like to keep my kids on a very strict diet so they do not get chubby, but I don't want them to look thin either!

8 weeks: 1/2 c 3 times a day of Fromm puppy
12 weeks: 1 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm puppy
16 weeks: 1.5 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm ALS
1 year: 1 1/4 c twice a day Fromm ALS
2 years: 1 c twice a day Fromm ALS

I wanted to point this out so you can see that during the growing phase I do give more. Puppies are much more active than adults and burn protein and energy much more. Once they turn two the laziness usually comes, so that is when you can see a decrease in the amount given.

This is just what I do, and what works to keep everyone from getting overweight. Couple of bullies I give a tad more than 1 cup because they are still pretty active. Mandy I give a tad less and add some frozen veggies, otherwise she will get fat, even though she is probably the most active of the bunch. Go figure!

Temp is likely one of two things.... dehydration or infection. If you are not going to the vet just yet, I would be checking it every hour to make sure it does not rise.

Thank you for the detailed reply will plan something similar, looks like I picked the worst time possible as I timed it with a fever or some bug. I want to be sure he stays fit and lean.

Members online

No members online now.