Increased food from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup and now throwing up and shaking

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yesterday I realized we were under feeding Kain according to the bag for an adult weight of 55 pounds at 4 months old he should be about 2 1/3 cups of food per day.
I was feeding 1/3 cup three times a day for 1 cup total so I increased to 1/2 cup three times a day for a total of 1 1/2 to take it in steps.

So far yesterday he was on the verge of throwing up but made it through so I made sure to stay on the low side of the 1/2 cup change. This morning he ate, went to the bathroom and went back to sleep everything was great.
My wife then got him to get up to go to the bathroom break and he started heaving, since then he threw up and has been shaking for about 1 hrs or so.

Is the shaking from being scared, and can a change from 1/3 to 1/2 cup make that much difference?

Not sure what else to do but I'm going to put him back to his 1/3 cup for dinner and thats it, and SLOWLY increase like a tablespoon at a time or something instead when he settles down.

Makes me wish I never touched his food level but I was underfeeding him at that for sure in my mind.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Goinf from a 1/3 cup to a 1/2 cup should not make him throw up. That's not that much of a difference. I would watch him, and if he is not better by tomorrow I would take him to the vet to get checked out. Something else could be wrong. Is he drinking water?

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yes, he drank a big amount just now and then kinda spit a bunch out like a small gag or so.
His body actions are different and shaking like he's scared naturally, only thing is was a food increase yesterday and his belly was big so it made a big difference for how much he was used too.

I'll try his lunch in about 1/2 hour here of only 1/3 cup but not sure how that will go or if it's a good idea.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
it is a little weird for this to be happening if you are feeding him the same dog food but just a little more. He is 55lbs at 4months? that is a big boy

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
No he's 20lbs so the food chart says for an adult weight of 55lbs he would need 2 1/3 cups a day so I started to increase it a bit to 1/2 cup per feeding instead of 1/3 cup three times a day.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
That's what made me question the breeders recommendation for only 1 cup a day. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Something is just not right..... Please keep us posted. If he is shaking I would take his temperature. Should be between 99 to 101 degrees.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
It's almost like a small quiver as he's sleeping, he's calmed down a lot. It's like the shakes started after he puked and when I took him outside to the bathroom.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Temp was 103 with two readings. He has stopped shaking, going to let him walk around and see how he reacts. I'm thinking skipping his lunch might be a good idea?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
103 is too high, I think you should take Kain to the vet, I think he has something going on that is causing the symptoms you are describing. Dehydrations can cause the shakes, he will need sub Q fluids.

Please keep us updated.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I'm a little confused I guess. You said the bag says to feed 2 1/3 cups per day for 55 lb adult? But he's not an adult and you don't know how much he will weigh in the future. You need to go by what he weighs right now and his age...at least that is what I've always been told. sounds like you are feeding wayy too much, but..I'm not an expert. Bubba is a little over a year and weighs 65 lbs but he only gets 1 cup/twice a day. Maybe he's trying to throw up all the excess food? I agree with @Watson seems like too much food.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
That's why I'm so damn confused... some people are saying 3 or 4 cups etc,

Still though going from 1/3 cup 3 times a day is only 1 cup total. I changed to 1/2 cup for 1 1/2 cups total only one day so far. Can 1/2 cup of food cause that much issue in one day?

I'm definatly going back to the 1 cup, the shaking has calmed down but he is still showing signs of being extra mellow.

Will keep an eye on him, he drank really good a 2nd time now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He definitely has something going on with a temp of 103. I'm with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and would get him to a vet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online