Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased food from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup and now throwing up and shaking

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Hey! Sorry he is sick! I would def get him to the vet bc 103 is high for our bully's... He could be dehydrated as well. If you have a 24/hr vet I would make a call to them! Hoping he feels better soon!! Keep us posted

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659162,-74.233490
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Increased food from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup and now throwing up and shaking

That's why I'm so damn confused... some people are saying 3 or 4 cups etc,

Still though going from 1/3 cup 3 times a day is only 1 cup total. I changed to 1/2 cup for 1 1/2 cups total only one day so far. Can 1/2 cup of food cause that much issue in one day?

I'm definatly going back to the 1 cup, the shaking has calmed down but he is still showing signs of being extra mellow.

Will keep an eye on him, he drank really good a 2nd time now.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Increased food from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup and now throwing up and shaking

He definitely has something going on with a temp of 103. I'm with @desertskybulldogs and would get him to a vet.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I don't want to scare you, but there is a slight chance that he has a blockage in his bowel. Is he pooping? Is his tummy hard? If he is not pooping and his tummy is hard he need to see the vet. Paraffin oil is usually given to dissolve the blockages, but if it's severe it need to be operated. Just adding more food should not cause any of the symptoms he is having.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

i would take him to the vet because of the high temp. especially since he's still a pup. may be the cause of him not being able to keep down food.
    please keep us updated on what he says.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Update : The shaking stopped around noon or so and his temp dropped to 102.4

Every indication that he is normal appears to be back except the extra desire to cuddle and going pee as soon as we put him down instead of the good luck we have had potty training so far.

I did a "small" amount of tricks with him to see if he had the ambition to do that and he did great and responded well. I also gave him about 1/8 cup for dinner and he ate really good as well, he went poop but only had 2 little balls but keeping in mind he pooped once this morning, once around 11am and threw up his breakfast so there really wasn't anything in his system I imagine.

I will continue as normal watching for things that aren't normal, give him his supper tonight and hope for a full bowl movement again this evening.

If things are not right we will be getting him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Temp is now 100.9

Do you think eating too fast causing him to throw up would cause him to be scared and temp rise? That is all that it appears to be so far.

Should be noted he had a habit of inhaling his food as a pup so we dampen his food, I'm going to work on slower eating habits.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver and Ivy Claire
    Likes (Received)

neither eating too fast or being scared can make temp rise to fever.
    "J'embrace mon chien sur la bouche!" (i kiss my dog on the mouth!)--unknown

Cooper11

You def need to take him to the vet he may have gotten into something. Giving him more food would not make him sick! Is he eating it too fast. My Cooper has been throwing up for 2 days and I think I finally figured it out...he needs a slow feed bowl, he is inhaling his food so he eats and then throws it right up. For you the throwing up doesn't bother me as much as the shaking??? That is NOT normal! And the high temp....temps usually mean infections his body is trying to fight something! You should take him in or at least call you vet!
    @Vince00

Cooper11

Today I put one of Cooper's toy tennis balls in his food dish so he had to work a little to eat his food and it worked! try that if you have any kind of ball big enough that he can't pt in his mouth...that cold be causing the throwing up. The temp and shaking still scares me though!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    That's why I'm so damn confused... some people are saying 3 or 4 cups etc,

Still though going from 1/3 cup 3 times a day is only 1 cup total. I changed to 1/2 cup for 1 1/2 cups total only one day so far. Can 1/2 cup of food cause that much issue in one day?

I'm definatly going back to the 1 cup, the shaking has calmed down but he is still showing signs of being extra mellow.

Will keep an eye on him, he drank really good a 2nd time now.
    No, the food increase I believe is coincidence, the temperature is what concerns me.

Since I always have pups around and adults, here is where I am with portions, using Fromm mind you, each food is different. Also I like to keep my kids on a very strict diet so they do not get chubby, but I don't want them to look thin either!

8 weeks: 1/2 c 3 times a day of Fromm puppy
    12 weeks: 1 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm puppy
    16 weeks: 1.5 c twice a day, adjust according to poop consistency. If it is runny I cut back a bit. Fromm ALS
    1 year: 1 1/4 c twice a day Fromm ALS
    2 years: 1 c twice a day Fromm ALS

I wanted to point this out so you can see that during the growing phase I do give more. Puppies are much more active than adults and burn protein and energy much more. Once they turn two the laziness usually comes, so that is when you can see a decrease in the amount given.

This is just what I do, and what works to keep everyone from getting overweight. Couple of bullies I give a tad more than 1 cup because they are still pretty active. Mandy I give a tad less and add some frozen veggies, otherwise she will get fat, even though she is probably the most active of the bunch. Go figure!

Temp is likely one of two things.... dehydration or infection. If you are not going to the vet just yet, I would be checking it every hour to make sure it does not rise.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How is Kain --- temp back to normal?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads