Patches of fur loss

Calky32

Dec 13, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Autzen
So in the last few days I have noticed that Autzen has a couple of patches on his rib cage where he is losing his fur. It isn't inflamed or red or itchy to him, it just seems to be losing the fur. And he is acting like his normal self, no change in mood or behavior. Nothing has changed recently in his diet and I give him salmon oil everyday so I'm confused as to what it could be. And I also give him frontline every month so I guess it could be a mite or tick thing like mange but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He does seem to be shedding a little more than normal lately too and I'm not sure if it's anything tied together. If anyone has any ideas or insight on what it could be I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=3895]Calky32[/MENTION] I agree with [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] You should have it looked at and checked b/c it could be something that needs to be taken care of right away! It also may just be nothing but to be on the safe side I would take him to the vet as soon as you can....:) Others will be by soon as well to give you more advice and better info on this!!! Hope you get some answers!! Take care!

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
ivy has the very same thing. i have brought her to the vet and they are "not concerned" about it, and it is not mange (with ivy, anyway). my friend who has had animals forever says it is a reaction to the lepto vaccine that happens in some dogs. this is what her vet told her. could be that.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny was loosing some hair right below his rib cage, vet said it was a bacteria infection, gave Gunny some clindamicyn took it right away in a few days.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Sounds like could possibly be seasonal alopecia

I am wondering if this could be it too. I was just at the vet today with a hair loss concern (had been told yrs ago it was seasonal alopecia - the spots seemed like ringworm and he was rushed to the vet to be told that -it looks like circular spots with defined borders where the hair comes out in little tufts if you pull on it and leaves flaky, but normal skin underneath) because it just seemed more pronounced than before. They did the mite check/skin scrape and it was negative. Also, he does not have fleas so they ruled that out. They are doing an allergy panel and fungal one too, so I am waiting on those, but I was told to just keep using the yeast shampoos I use for him. The vet seemed to think it's allergy or possibly fungal related, though he doesn't seem itchy at all. My vet said depending on what they find out, they may teach me how to give him allergy shots.

I get really neurotic when there's something not right about my baby, so I hope you are able to get some answers soon! Good luck!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
take some pictures and post them on this thread, it is easier to tell what it is if we can compare from experience

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Karly had the same thing and I saw a pic under a thread for "Demodex Mange" and I took her to the vet and they did the skin scraping to check for mites and it came back negative. She was given antibiotics and I changed the food back to Holistic Select Salmon & Anchovy and she's looking fabulous now! I had changed them from Holistic Select to FROMM Beef Frittata and I think she was just allergic. She's much more sensitive than Nigel.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Picture? Could be seasonal flank alopecia - very common in bullies

lucy26

Feb 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
kevin
Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as i have a 17 week old bulldog Kevin with exactly the same symptoms and am wondering if i need to take him to the vets?

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as i have a 17 week old bulldog Kevin with exactly the same symptoms and am wondering if i need to take him to the vets?

I took my dog to the vet... patches of hair loss was a result of demodectic mange (mites). :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.